[OB] Dalinar's Base name

So, in OB, we learn that alethi names are vomposed of a palindromic core, and a modifier on the end. For Adolin, this is "Adoda" meaning light, and "lin," meaning born of (Adolin = born of light). 

We can further assume that not all names have a modifying suffix, based both on the people's responses as adolin is being named, and the fact that Kaladin's base name is presumably Kalak, which we know to be the name of one of the heralds.

With all this in mind, wouldn't Dalinar's base name (and a real name presumably given to numerous alethi men) be "Dalilad"

If so... wow. That might just top out "Renesme" as the worst name I've ever seen in fiction.

And here he is insulting Renarin's name, haha.

Well, since we know that "lin" is a pretty popular word for names, maybe they decided to split apart another word and add "lin" inside. You know, because there's something obtusely symmetrical about cutting a palindrome in half and then cutting that in half and sticking something in the middle. So maybe his name is "Darad" and "Linil". 

Or it could be Dalinilad, which isn't the most ridiculous palindrome we've seen. After all, we've got that Elithenethile-or-something one. 

2 hours ago, Paracosmic_nomenclator said:

We can further assume that not all names have a modifying suffix, based both on the people's responses as adolin is being named, and the fact that Kaladin's base name is presumably Kalak, which we know to be the name of one of the heralds.

Actually, I'm pretty sure Kaladin's base name is "Kalad," meaning "Eternal." Thus Kaladin translates to "born of eternity."

1 hour ago, Toaster Retribution said:

Pattern is obviously the best spren.

You are objectively wrong. The only spren that might, theoratically, be able to surpass Syl, once we know more of her, is Maya. And that's only because Adolin reviving her would be so damnation awesome.

32 minutes ago, Aminar said:

Kalad. Kalad's Phantom's. The Arda and the Ardentia. It's really starting to sound like there's a cultural root between Roshar and Nalthis. Or Brandon let some things seep in, but typically that hasn't been the case. 

14 minutes ago, Angsos said:

Some of the glyphs are the same too. Shash is on Nalthis and Roshar but I forget what it is on Nalthis.

————————————————

@JoyBlu Evi – In Oathbringer.  She uses strange idioms. You had mentioned to watch / be on the lookout for people using strange idioms. . . . (examples “White as the sun at night” ) Is Evi native to Roshar?

BRANDON SANDERSON: Yes.  Her people are related to the Iri – who are not native to Roshar. She is not Irili herself.  And all the Irili – they are native to Roshar – the people who are born now – even if their people aren’t. So  Evi you could say right, like no humans are native to Roshar. But, Yes, She (Evi) was born on Roshar.

@JoyBlu Would she (Evi) might have some of the same blood in her that Vivenna & Siri from WarBreaker would have?

BRANDON SANDERSON:  I’ll RAFO that.

——————————————-

@MonsterMetroid mentioned later in that thread that something may have happened on Nalthis in the past that caused a migration to Roshar. 

I appreciate what @Aminar pointed out about the names. I don’t think they are “seeping” through. I think it is intentional. I bet there are more too. I’m thinking that all the cosmere books/planets will be connected to Roshar by Stormlight Book 10. It makes sense to have it all converge at a place on a planet that none of the humans are native to. More of an equal ground that way. 

And as for names of Spren — I still think there is a connection with SYL and GLYS. Too many of the same letters to be a coincidence. And with Renarin’s being kinda-sorta part of Bridge 4, but not really, I think it fits and that GLYS is a corrupted spren that is partly windrunner/???bondsmith??? and partly truthwatcher/Edgedancer. ( shared Progression surge).  So GLYS could be the coolest spren because it’s not predictable at following the rules of the orders. 

5 minutes ago, JoyBlu said:

@MonsterMetroid mentioned later in that thread that something may have happened on Nalthis in the past that caused a migration to Roshar. 

I appreciate what @Aminar pointed out about the names. I don’t think they are “seeping” through. I think it is intentional. I bet there are more too. I’m thinking that all the cosmere books/planets will be connected to Roshar by Stormlight Book 10. It makes sense to have it all converge at a place on a planet that none of the humans are native to. More of an equal ground that way. 

I agree with @JoyBlu that this definitaley seems intentional and Brandon has said through multiple WoB's that he views Warbreaker as a sort of prequel to SA he wrote it intending to introduce Kaladins Swordmaster. (If I have time I will link the WoBs here later)

If that's the case I expect plenty of nods to nalthis and it makes me wonder since we are seeing so much of it what kind of shape nalthis is in currently in the timeline. Maybe there is other reasons Vasher had to come to Roshar besides just convenient investiture.

Edited by MonsterMetroid

16 minutes ago, JoyBlu said:

The one thing I would ask Brandon if I can ever make it to a signing is if people on Nalthis have epicanthic folds. 

56 minutes ago, JoyBlu said:

I think it fits and that GLYS is a corrupted spren that is partly windrunner/???bondsmith??? and partly truthwatcher/Edgedancer. ( shared Progression surge).

Afaik, Glys is a Truthwatcher spren that has been corrupted by Sja-anat. He is providing the normal Truthwatcher surges (or at least Regrowth, since Renarian has yet to do any Lightweaving even when specifically trying). He also has the fits, which seem to be his moments of seeing possible futures and seems to comes from the Sja-anat corruption.

58 minutes ago, JoyBlu said:

So GLYS could be the coolest spren because it’s not predictable at following the rules of the orders.

But I agree with this statement, because so far as we can tell, despite the corruption Glys is fighting on the side of the humans and not for Odium.

• Chaos locked this topic