Æonja Worldbuilding thread

Ataraxian Wist

This thread is for reading and critiquing my fantasy universe, tentatively called The Æonja or just Æonja. Constructive criticism would be great, but I can't really prevent other criticism, so it's a good thing I'm so tough... JK, I know you're not jerks.

I'm keeping it in spoiler tags, for organizational and convenience proposes.

EDIT: This content has been overhauled. New origins will come as soon as I get ahold of my laptop.

Edited by Sazedezas
Major changes in canon.

1 hour ago, Oversleep said:

I'm not sure whether you are aware of your influences, but you incorporated Three Realms into your world.

BTW, how can Lie make Truth? If it said "it's true", we'd have liar's paradox.

I was aware of the Three Realms, but they are quite different in ways I plan to explain later.

And yes, the truth thing was a bit confusing to me at first too. The way it works is that everything Lie creates is exactly what it is, but because his mind is so static erratic, it doesn't last. When he thinks of something, he thinks of it through it's perspective. Hence, when he thought of Truth, he thought as Truth, and that allowed her to remain. Sort of cogito ergo sum.

EDIT: The other thing, of course, is that paradoxes don't apply to divinity, which is what separates us from them, at least in the Æonja.

Edited by Sazedezas

1 hour ago, King Cole said:

Even so, giving them the same names? It is a bit much

Note, in Æonja they are not actually realms but planes, or levels. Note also that their proper names are totally different, and that Spiritual, Cognitive, and Material are really the best other adjectives.

Edited by Sazedezas

I think we need more information before we can appreciate this setting. You have to understand that the little bit you've given us looks a lot like the cosmere. You've got the three realms (planes are basically the same thing), and you've got some gods that sound like shard intents. That's just how it looks at this point. I'm sure it'll seem more original when you reveal more about these gods and their worlds. I'm looking forward to that.

Also, I think "the Lie" is a confusing misnomer. The way you describe it, maybe "Thought" or "Idea" or "Subjectivity" would be a better name. You'd still get contrast with Truth.

1 hour ago, Belzedar said:

I think we need more information before we can appreciate this setting. You have to understand that the little bit you've given us looks a lot like the cosmere. You've got the three realms (planes are basically the same thing), and you've got some gods that sound like shard intents. That's just how it looks at this point. I'm sure it'll seem more original when you reveal more about these gods and their worlds. I'm looking forward to that.

Also, I think "the Lie" is a confusing misnomer. The way you describe it, maybe "Thought" or "Idea" or "Subjectivity" would be a better name. You'd still get contrast with Truth.

I'm working on putting more up there, but it will take awhile. Considering other names for current Lie.

Edited by Sazedezas

On 1/3/2018 at 2:39 PM, TheDwarfyOne said:

Perhaps "Conception" and "Actuality" would be more appropriate? I agree that 'Lie' and 'Truth' seem to be misleading names in this setting.

Sounds good, but if I use it there will still be cultures that call them by the other names, especially as they also represent those principles.