Hoid (Spoilers)

valgerth

So I downloaded WOR at about 1230, and my lack of self control to go to sleep has me on page 727 right now.

Spoliers following, and I don't recall how to tag, so don't precede if you aren't that far.

So far I have two things that pop out at me regarding Hoid/Wit. The first happened earlier in the book, and wasn't enough of a "new" thing for me to mention, but I'll put it here anyway. When Hoid is talking in regards to women, he mentions there is only one woman on this planet his age, and she didn't like him that much. Now we know he's talking about Cultivation, and that he knew the Shards personally, I just thought this interesting.

The thing I thought more interesting, is a confirmation of a minimum level of power he seems to have taken from Nalthis. It seems that Hoid has at least enough Breathes to make him a second level awakener at minimum(to go with his bead of Lerasium, his Lightweaving, and other things he has).  As he is tuning his instrument he says "Perfect Pitch makes this all so much easier than it once was..." I wonder what it will take for him to convince a spren to bond him?

Also of note, I asked Brandon to include something about world hopping and if Hoids methods were different than most other peoples and he answered me by pointing me to page ??? (It's 557 on my nook) where "A man with white hair steps out of the pools and asks what year it is".

??? - Will need to get the normal book page when I get home and look at the physical book but it's in the 500's.

Edited by Serial

I wonder how Hoid is able to look different in some of the books. There are some mayor differences that can't be explained by make up or something like this and as far as I got from Liar of Partinel you can't touch Lightweavings. Is he able to change his body or are those Hoids not always the same Hoid ? You can feruchemically store Identity in Aluminium..

You can't touch the Lightweaving itself, but the body underneath it is still corporeal.

For example, If he Lightweaves to change his hair color, the illusion will move with the hair.

Also of note, I asked Brandon to include something about world hopping and if Hoids methods were different than most other peoples and he answered me by pointing me to page ??? (It's 557 on my nook) where "A man with white hair steps out of the pools and asks what year it is".

??? - Will need to get the normal book page when I get home and look at the physical book but it's in the 500's.

Look at Sigzil's reaction there and note the physical description there.

So I downloaded WOR at about 1230, and my lack of self control to go to sleep has me on page 727 right now.

Spoliers following, and I don't recall how to tag, so don't precede if you aren't that far.

So far I have two things that pop out at me regarding Hoid/Wit. The first happened earlier in the book, and wasn't enough of a "new" thing for me to mention, but I'll put it here anyway. When Hoid is talking in regards to women, he mentions there is only one woman on this planet his age, and she didn't like him that much. Now we know he's talking about Cultivation, and that he knew the Shards personally, I just thought this interesting.

The thing I thought more interesting, is a confirmation of a minimum level of power he seems to have taken from Nalthis. It seems that Hoid has at least enough Breathes to make him a second level awakener at minimum(to go with his bead of Lerasium, his Lightweaving, and other things he has).  As he is tuning his instrument he says "Perfect Pitch makes this all so much easier than it once was..." I wonder what it will take for him to convince a spren to bond him?

I caught the perfect pitch bit :)  I wonder what he was doing on Nalthis this time...Is he the one that got Nightblood for Naln?

Is Jasnah world hopping too?  Or was she in Shadesmar the whole time?  Her attire and pack seem to imply that she was going extensive physical traveling.  AND she recognizes Hoid.  INteresting...!

Question/thought...  Can stormlight be used to power Allomancy?  I would guess not, given that Hoid downed some metals...  But maybe more like a Duralumin affect even...  

Of course she recognizes Hoid.  He works for her brother as Wit...  They've admitted to knowing eachother at least once a piece.

Edited by Aminar

Question/thought...  Can stormlight be used to power Allomancy?  I would guess not, given that Hoid downed some metals...  But maybe more like a Duralumin affect even...  

Of course she recognizes Hoid.  He works for her brother as Wit...  They've admitted to knowing eachother at least once a piece.

I meant as more than just the king's Wit :)

Can we talk about Rock's story some more ? I'm pretty sure it was Hoid coming out of those pools, but the guy is described havin white hair. Who has also white/silvery hair while looking relative young ? Elantrians. 
So was this "god" an Elantrian, is Hoid an Elantrian or does he simply have bad genes concerning his hair ?

So, Hoid has:

• Awakening (perfect pitch means he has a lot of Breaths, and if he has that many, he probably has more - this explains his immortality in part)
  • Allomancy (consuming metals in Shallan flashback)
  • Feruchemy (WoB)
  • Lightweaving (Yolen)

He does not have Surgebinding. I think. He remarks on how 'strict' the Shards are, and needs to use Shallan to study Lightweaving. But how did he know what to do to get her to use Lightweaving if he needed her to study it? Such an enigma...

Can we talk about Rock's story some more ? I'm pretty sure it was Hoid coming out of those pools, but the guy is described havin white hair. Who has also white/silvery hair while looking relative young ? Elantrians. 

So was this "god" an Elantrian, is Hoid an Elantrian or does he simply have bad genes concerning his hair ?

I see it as more of a Warbreaker-esque thing. He perceives himself differently, and so he looks different. 

The really big question regarding Hoid for me was whether this second letter-which seems to be a reply to the first-prove or disprove that the first one was from Hoid? There are several statements in it which make it seem less likely that he wrote the original one. But I'd like others' thoughts since I'm new at this theorizing bit.

I see it pretty much the opposite.  The whole section about the recipient's name screams Hoid.  Being called the name of his old master.  Hoid.  Being named after one of his "virtues."  Wit.  Hoid 100% wrote the first letter.

The second letter is pretty much ( 90% ) adressed to Hoid. The gemstone metaphor is in there, he talks about naming himself after his best attribute ( Wit ) and says that he shouldn't get involved .. and Hoid gets involved in EVERYTHING. So i'm sure that we're right about saying that the first letter was written by Hoid and the second is for him.

Edit: I was too slow it seems.

Edited by HydrogenAlpha

Ok, what is the gemstone metaphor? And I didn't realize that Hoid had a master at one point. The only Cosmere books that I haven't read are Mistbor 2-3 and Allow of Law (I think), so if either of these answers are there, then I guess I'll get to them.

Is Jasnah world hopping too?  Or was she in Shadesmar the whole time?  Her attire and pack seem to imply that she was going extensive physical traveling.  AND she recognizes Hoid.  INteresting...!

She said she talked to the Highspren, so I guess she was in Shadesmar.

Edited by Edgedancer

Ok, what is the gemstone metaphor? And I didn't realize that Hoid had a master at one point. The only Cosmere books that I haven't read are Mistbor 2-3 and Allow of Law (I think), so if either of these answers are there, then I guess I'll get to them.

Hoid said in TWoK that he was named after a gemstone, but left that name behind. The second letter speaks of a gemstone, too. I have no idea how that will play out in the end, but it's certainly important.

In an unpublished book of Brandon - the liar of partinel - we find out that our Hoid seems to be a guy called Midius who's master died. Midius then took the name of his master ( Hoid ). The original Hoid thaught him the original Yolen Lightweaving and how to be a ... ( i forgot the word) but they basicly did the same thing worldsingers do in Roshar .. telling stories and helping people. Knowledge gathering, too.

Awesome, thanks! How do/did you guys read the unpublished stuff? I'm assuming it's not just floating around.

Published unpublished stuff is here. Most pertinent is the six chapters of The Liar of Partinel. I also think that if you go to BYU you can read Dragonsteel in their library (since Brandon did it as a sort of final project during college?).

Edited by Moogle

You can write Brandon an e-mail asking if you could get a copy. Some guys also got White Sand and Aether of Night, but i never asked for those, because I wanted to wait for them to get rewritten and published properly. I don't know if he still sends them around ( if he does keep in mind he's very busy so he won't answer you in a long time - but he will eventualy, because he's awesome ), but maybe someone is willing to pm you with the most important things .. if they're allowed to distribute those infos.

Edited by HydrogenAlpha

My guess (moogle said it was obvious) is the pool is a Shardpool.  I'm guessing Hoid uses them to worldhop.