‘Great Magic Unleashed Here’

IllNsickly

I am admittedly terrible at search functions. Google is my Nemesis, always.

That said, I remember seeing a map that Mr. Sanderson wrote ‘Great Magic Unleashed Here’ on someones copy of WoK.

Have we figured out what that was yet? 

I am stuck on either:

1: The Splintering of Honour.

or (My favourite)

2: the Shattering of Adonalsium

Hoid was present at the Shattering and seems to spend an inordinate amount of time on Roshar. 

As massive as the Shattered Plains are (and ‘Shattered’ just sounds... well..) How much energy would it take to cause that level of destruction? 

The Plains were supposedly Shattered during Aharietiam and were definitely not shattered during the Heraldic Epochs when there was a city there. Which makes the shattering of the plains something that happened long long after the Shattering of Adonalsium.

By the same token, we have WoB that Tanavast was alive to see the Recreance, which happened after Aharietiam.

Whatever hit the Plains, it wasn't either of those ideas.

Edited by Weltall

14 hours ago, IllNsickly said:

I am admittedly terrible at search functions. Google is my Nemesis, always.

That said, I remember seeing a map that Mr. Sanderson wrote ‘Great Magic Unleashed Here’ on someones copy of WoK.

Have we figured out what that was yet? 

I am stuck on either:

1: The Splintering of Honour.

or (My favourite)

2: the Shattering of Adonalsium

Hoid was present at the Shattering and seems to spend an inordinate amount of time on Roshar. 

As massive as the Shattered Plains are (and ‘Shattered’ just sounds... well..) How much energy would it take to cause that level of destruction? 

Have you read OB? There's a LOT in that book that strongly hints at what happened to the shattered plains. 

4 hours ago, IllNsickly said:

Just finished my 2nd go round. I didn’t see anything that hinted at it. 

Could you enlighten me?

Oathbringer Spoilers

Spoiler

In the part where it was revealed that humans weren't native to Roshar and that the original humans on the planet migrated from Ashyn, it is mentioned how powerful Surgebinding destroyed their old world. It seems logical that the Recreance was caused as a reaction to similar Surgebinding destruction on Roshar itself, hence the Shattered Plains.

I made a thread right before OB came out where I talked through a few of these ideas. My original guesses to the mechanism that caused the plains to shatter aren't really that accurate, but you can see from the ideas in this thread that whatever caused the shattering wasn't random chance. Surgebinding was most likely involved based on what we saw in Oathbringer.

*end of my shameless self-promotion*

• Chaos locked this topic