Fitting Non-Brandon Characters into Radiant Orders

Toaster Retribution

Lets just do something fun and easy: take a character from fiction, and fit them into a KR-order based on their personality and the order. Here are some suggestions from me:

-Thrawn (Star Wars) - Elsecaller. He is calm, collected, uses logic, and is ruthless.

-Harry Potter - Windrunner. He has the same "I have to protect everyone" problem that Kaladin has.

-Legolas (Lord of the Rings) - Dustbringer (???) He is pretty obedient to whomever he follows, and undeniably brave.

Any others?

Naruto Uzumaki - Stoneward: Dependable? Resourceful? Stubborn in the face of proven error? Check, check, check. 

As an adult though, he would absolutely be the Bondsmith. Character development and all that.

Itachi Uchiha - Elsecaller: Wise, and careful, sog spren attracted to cold and stoic philosophical types? Yeah.

Sai - Lightweaver: He is already an artist, his character is essentially based around the figurative and literal masks he has to wear as a spy, and his magic involves bringing what he draws to life....come on now!

Kabuto - Lightweaver: Same as with the above really; he's a nameless spy who on a quest to define him nature. At one point he is even trapped in an illusion that he cannot escape until he accepts his personal truth....again, come on!

Tobirama Senju - Skybreaker: He developed most of infrastructure for the hidden leaf village and was focused on guidelines, codes, and the rule of law. He also has the stoic demeanor down to a T.

Minato Namikaze - Windrunner: My dude was ever the soldier and gave his life protecting his home. He believed that fighting led to pain and hatred but that it was his job to confront that hatred any way.

Sasuke Uchiha - Dustbringer: We don't know a lot about these guys other than that they likely strived to be brave and obedient and that they had short tempers, were prone to violence and had destructive flame based magic. Sasukes oaths would likely focus on becoming more obedient and less of a rogue, naturally.

Edited by Nymeros

• 3 weeks later...

lol this gets me deep in the ASIOAF/Stormlight crossover that's been brewing deep inside me for a while.

Stannis is clearly a Skybreaker — the law is what's right

Davos an Edgedancer — "what is the importance of one bastard boy" "everything"

I would put Theon, Sansa, and Arya all as lightweavers (with Sansa being the strongest candidate and Arya the weakest) — various issues of identity/personal truths and in Theon and Sansa's case some creativity

Ned, Jon, and Cat I'd put as a Windrunners — Honor! and also protecting (both his family, but also Cersei's and her children) for Ned and Cat's essentially leading the North and also her focus on protecting her family (like Kal and Bridge Four). Jon in the Night's Watch is very much Kaladin and the Bridgemen. 

Dany is a Bondsmith, but not a very good one or at least a new one — her crusade to free the slaves feels very 'unite me' and also she's clearly speshul which Bondsmiths seem to be

Jaime is a also a Windrunner, but a broken one — killing the king to protect the city is a very city is a very windrunner thing to do, along with a lot of his pre-series actions

Tyrion is maybe an Elsecaller— his interest and scholarship along with his wide travels 

Edited by Could Be Fire

Yugi. from Yugioh. (just Yugi, not the Pharaoh) 

Windrunner probably. the "i-need-to-protect-everyone- problem" applies here too.

Edit: Actually, scratch that. idec. The real Windrunner is Nicolas Calva. He's the main character in Jennifer A. Neilson's Mark of the Thief Trilogy (which I just finished last night). And he for real faces some challenges with trying to protect everyone. I would highly recommend reading this series if you haven't. She also wrote The False Prince, another really good book (and its 2 sequels).

Edited by Benjamin_Stormblessed

On 12/26/2017 at 10:21 PM, Nymeros said:

Sai - Lightweaver: He is already an artist, his character is essentially based around the figurative and literal masks he has to wear as a spy, and his magic involves bringing what he draws to life....come on now!

Kabuto - Lightweaver: Same as with the above really; he's a nameless spy who on a quest to define him nature. At one point he is even trapped in an illusion that he cannot escape until he accepts his personal truth....again, come on!

Tobirama Senju - Skybreaker: He developed most of infrastructure for the hidden leaf village and was focused on guidelines, codes, and the rule of law. He also has the stoic demeanor down to a T.

Minato Namikaze - Windrunner: My dude was ever the soldier and gave his life protecting his home. He believed that fighting led to pain and hatred but that it was his job to confront that hatred any way.

Sasuke Uchiha - Dustbringer: We don't know a lot about these guys other than that they likely strived to be brave and obedient and that they had short tempers, were prone to violence and had destructive flame based magic. Sasukes oaths would likely focus on becoming more obedient and less of a rogue, naturally.

I forgot that I wanted to elaborate on these so here they are.

On 1/15/2018 at 3:52 AM, Could Be Fire said:

lol this gets me deep in the ASIOAF/Stormlight crossover that's been brewing deep inside me for a while.

Stannis is clearly a Skybreaker — the law is what's right

Davos an Edgedancer — "what is the importance of one bastard boy" "everything"

I would put Theon, Sansa, and Arya all as lightweavers (with Sansa being the strongest candidate and Arya the weakest) — various issues of identity/personal truths and in Theon and Sansa's case some creativity

Ned, Jon, and Cat I'd put as a Windrunners — Honor! and also protecting (both his family, but also Cersei's and her children) for Ned and Cat's essentially leading the North and also her focus on protecting her family (like Kal and Bridge Four). Jon in the Night's Watch is very much Kaladin and the Bridgemen. 

Dany is a Bondsmith, but not a very good one or at least a new one — her crusade to free the slaves feels very 'unite me' and also she's clearly speshul which Bondsmiths seem to be

Jaime is a also a Windrunner, but a broken one — killing the king to protect the city is a very city is a very windrunner thing to do, along with a lot of his pre-series actions

Tyrion is maybe an Elsecaller— his interest and scholarship along with his wide travels 

Stannis and Davos....perfect! As is Dany and I love the idea of the Stark sisters being the same order but with different truths and applications for lightweaving.

Personally, I would put Ned in the role of Bondsmith though. His position in the story and world along with the way people react to him just seem Bondsmithy to me. Even living legends like Barristan need emotional support from Ned, and Nes is for forgivness and unity. "The lone wolf dies but the pack survives."

Plus Stormfather would love that Ned doesnt break his word and their interactions would be hilarious....Ned has far less tolerance for nonsense than Dalinar.

Edited by Nymeros

On ‎26‎.‎12‎.‎2017 at 10:53 PM, DalinarsThrill said:

Kvothe I could see as an Edgedancer/Lightweaver. He "remembers those that are forgotten" and also has many "juicy truths" that Im sure the a Lightweavers spren would love! 

Kvothe could totally be a Lightweaver. I suppose Auri would fit an Edgedancer. And Bast would be .... Bast XD

While reading Les Miserables, I noticed the beautiful comparison between Javert and Jean Valjeans conflict and the conflict between the Skybreakers and the Windrunners.

Jean Valjean is a Windrunner, though possibly a Edgedancer?

Javert is obviously a Skybreaker. Without any doubt.

Perhaps the Bishop would make a good Edgedancer

Any others from Les Miserables that are so obvious?

Carrot (from Terry Pratchet’s Discworld) would totally be a Skybreaker.  He likes to follow the law too exactly (espcially in Guards Guards!).

Along the same thought process, I think Nobby and Lopen would get along great.

Carrot’s squires would be all the people in the city watch.  Vimes would soon swear his ideals and become a full Skybreaker thereby still out-ranking Carrot, even though we all know Carrot was better at policing first.

One more thought, I would love to see Vimes screaming “Where’s my cow?” with a shardblade in his hands.  That would be terrifying.

I don't see anyone doing WoT? Ok, let's open this sack of characters. You can add a question mark to each of these... 

Rand - some strong Bondsmithing business here

Moiraine - a cool-headed woman with a mission, I'd go with Elsecaller

Egwene - she's one of the most impatient and adventure-inclined from the start, which makes me think maybe Willshaper

Nynaeve - needs surge of Progression, Edgedancer would probably fit a bit better than Truthwatcher 

Mat I-am-no-hero... Windrunner? 

Galad - Skybreaker 

On 30-1-2018 at 2:35 PM, Ailvara said:

I don't see anyone doing WoT? Ok, let's open this sack of characters. You can add a question mark to each of these... 

Rand - some strong Bondsmithing business here

Moiraine - a cool-headed woman with a mission, I'd go with Elsecaller

Egwene - she's one of the most impatient and adventure-inclined from the start, which makes me think maybe Willshaper

Nynaeve - needs surge of Progression, Edgedancer would probably fit a bit better than Truthwatcher 

Mat I-am-no-hero... Windrunner? 

Galad - Skybreaker 

Egwene also has some Bondsmith characteristics. Or, arguably, the three ta'veren could be the Bondsmiths, whether they like it or not.

Lan - Stoneward

Rhuarc - Windrunner

Cadsuane - Stoneward

Elayne - Lightweaver

Alivia - Truthwatcher

Perrin - Bondsmith (even if it isn't "three ta'veren, three bondsmiths")

Faile - Willshaper

Tuon probably wouldn't attract a spren because she's just wouldn't fit "life before death" and "journey before destination", but if she would, I'd say Bondsmith. She'd probably not settle for anything less anyways. Maybe Skybreaker.

Min - Truthwatcher

Aviendha - Windrunner

Silviana - Dustbringer

Gawyn - Windrunner? Unsure about this one.

Androl - Willshaper (arguably a Brandon character though?)

Demandred - Dustbringer

• Chaos locked this topic