X-Wing Miniatures Game

MistbornAlpaca

I recently got the X-Wing: Miniatures game... does anyone else play? My brother and I have enjoyed playing it so far, and I'm planning on purchasing some expansion packs. What would you recommend? I'm looking to spend around $50 total, and I would like both rebellion and empire ships that will make our squads evenly matched. Thanks! 

I just got into it, got 9 small Scum and Villiany ships used for 40 dollars. That's a deal! 

You will have to budget a bit if you are planning on building two squadrons at once. 

I've heard good things about the A-Wing for rebels and Disputers for Imperials. Also, if you haven't all ready, get a second core set (there are two "types", so just get the one you don't have! You can usually get it for 20 bucks on Amazon, also)

On 12/25/2017 at 4:20 PM, MasterJack said:

I recently got the X-Wing: Miniatures game... does anyone else play? My brother and I have enjoyed playing it so far, and I'm planning on purchasing some expansion packs. What would you recommend? I'm looking to spend around $50 total, and I would like both rebellion and empire ships that will make our squads evenly matched. Thanks! 

Welcome to the game @MasterJack! I’ve been playing the game regularly for 4 years, and still loving it! :) I know of a couple other X-Wingers on the shard. Namely, @Haelbarde, @Ecthelion III, @Ookla the Philosopher, and @Shumei

In answer to your question, “what to buy next,” my advice is to do as @TheOoklaThatComesBefore and buy stuff used to begin with. It’s usually a great way to fill out your collection a bit for cheap. Check eBay or your local craigslist or Craigslist type service. 

If you don’t want to go that route, then this is my recommended purchase schedule:

1) buy a core set (sounds like you’ve already done that)

2) buy another core set- the core set is your best value for your dollar (MSRP), plus you’ll definitely want the extra dice, range rulers, and etc. There are two core sets, the original (red letters) and the force awakens (blue letters). If you buy one of each then you’ll get different ships and cards in each one, which is nice, but even if you buy two of the same set it will totally be worth it. 

And speaking of which, the Force Awakens core set is on sale on Amazon right now for a killer price. Yesterday it was $18, today it looks like it’s $21. 

3) once you have two core sets, buy the ships you like. You’ll have a lot more fun playing with your favorite ships from the movies rather than buying some random ship that you’ve never heard of and whose name you can’t pronounce simply because someone on the interwebs told you it was competitive. At this stage, don’t worry about being competitive, play to have fun and learn and if you feel so inclined you can try out the competitive scene later. 

in other news, I actually stumbled across this thread because I was looking for somewhere to show off this Christmas present (which I sort of got for myself). I ordered it from Curled Paw Creatives on Etsy. The whole set cost less than $25- he didn’t even charge me extra for the custom symbols!

Aren’t they pretty?

286BDE0F-FF38-430B-BF52-6D1C1AD5E1D9.thumb.jpeg.bfa7912981e66533688f953b31ea7335.jpeg

The acrylic is a transparent gray, and I painted the symbols before removing the protective paper using a light blue and a silver/white mixture to (of course) mimic coins being steel-pushed. :D

EDIT: I just asked, and he saved the files used to make these so if anyone else wants a set of Mistborn X-Wing templates just go to Curled Paw and ask (you’ll probably have to mention my user name). :)

Edited by Herowannabe

54 minutes ago, mattig89ch said:

I have a full wing (4) of FO Ties.  I also have a new republic X-wing, a rebel Ewing and X-wing.  Now I need to get myself some scum ships to be complete.

You know, the funny thing about the “I only need X to be complete” is that there’s always just one more thing you need... ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone planning on going to the Salt Lake City Regionals tournament this Saturday? Specifically, those of you I know live in the area, like @Ecthelion III@Ookla the Philosopher, and @Shumei. I’ll be there (obviously). Just look for the guy with the Mistborn maneuver templates. ;) 

150 points is barely enough to get the Raider by itself on the table. You should go up to 200 or 300. ;)

As for facing the raider, just do your best to stay out of its kill zones- the spots on either side where it’s front and rear arcs overlap. 5 attacks in one round will chew up anything.