WoB

Kered

Question

Questioner

The hair color, is there a link between the hair color in Warbreaker and the hair color in, with, like the Alethi always have black, and I can't remember the other country that always have gold hair coloring?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.  You are noticing something very interesting which was done deliberately.  

Found this while browsing Arcanum. The only assumption I can make is that it's a reference to Adonalsium or one of the Shards creating all humans. It's mold of sorts. All nationalities must must all be known for a certain hair color, all nationalities must have a prominent eye color, etc. 

Has an answer been given yet, or is just speculation still? 

EDIT: Found the answer. It's a reference to the Shards that created life sometimes copying ideas from Adonalsium and possibly other shards. 

Edited by Kered

3 answers to this question

On 1/7/2018 at 1:27 AM, Themasterhunter said:

Do we know anything specifically about which color was done by whom?

Well, our Golden-haired Iri are 3 planets removed from Roshar, so H&C probably didn't do that.

Botanica
“If you wish to say it that way,” Ym said. “But it is not completely true. I accept no god. You should accept no god. We are Iriali, and part of the Long Trail, of which this is the Fourth Land.”[16]
“Accept no priests either,” Ym said. “Those are from other lands, come to preach to us. Iriali need no preaching, only experience. As each experience is different, it brings completeness. Eventually, all will be gathered back in―when the Seventh Land is attained―and we will once again become One.”
[16]

Wait! The Iriali, are they nomadic people who travel between various Shardworlds? Is the "Long Trail" their travel path? So the "Fourth Land" refers to Roshar? (Roshar is exactly the fourth Shardworld we get to know. But I saw you note on the forum that we shouldn't use the publication order? Then it's hard to speculate.)
Peter
Yes, they travel between various Shardworlds, and this is the 4th planet they have been on.

Doesn't get us any closer to knowing who did, but ruling out possibilities is good.