Typos in WoR (Spoilers ahead)

harry31j97

The Lighweavers' garnet is red, but generally speaking garnets can be many other colors: purple, green, blue, yellow, pink, etc. I think at one point a garnetmark was called firemark, so it's kind of odd to have a non-red(orange) garnet. But I'd it's not a mistake, just that different colors garnets are used in spheres with red being the prevalent, thus the alias.

Actually I believe "firemark" refers to a ruby mark, "bloodmark" is the term for a garnet mark. And the thing is that color is very important (same as with the ratios for allomantic alloys) an off-color (or wrong-color) gem acts like a bad alloy would in Allomancy.

Actually I believe "firemark" refers to a ruby mark, "bloodmark" is the term for a garnet mark. And the thing is that color is very important (same as with the ratios for allomantic alloys) an off-color (or wrong-color) gem acts like a bad alloy would in Allomancy.

It could be bloodmark, I tend to confuse them, but that's not the point. I don't remember reading anything about the color of the gem changing its ability to hold stormlight, so a blue garnet is as good as a red one so long as they are cut properly

edit: But I checked and that last part is wrong (don't judge, there are too many WoB to keep track of them all). Still, different color garnets might be used in spheres, just won't hold stormlight as long as red garnets. But now I'm not so sure it wasn't a mistake.

Edited by Aleksiel

It could be bloodmark, I tend to confuse them, but that's not the point. I don't remember reading anything about the color of the gem changing its ability to hold stormlight, so a blue garnet is as good as a red one so long as they are cut properly. 

There's this WoB:

Brandon Sanderson

I actually spent a long time working on this while building the world. You'd probably be amused by how long I spent on it. Chemically, many of them are actually very similar, as you pointed out. I tried doing the book originally with them all being different, not using any that were basically the same crystal with different colors, but it didn't work out. There weren't enough, and so I had to stretch to make it all work.

So, I went back to the original, and decided that color was enough to differentiate them. Just as steel and iron are very similar in the Mistborn world, emerald and heliodor can be very similar—but produce different effects. The idea here is that the physical items (like the metals or the crystals) provide a key by which magical interaction occurs.

So, in a long winded answer, a gemstone with an impure color would be considered like a bad alloy in the Mistborn magic—it either wouldn't work at all, or would work very poorly. The chemical and color signature needs to be of a specific variety to provide the proper key to accessing the power of transformation.

Gems that are not a certain color should probably not hold Stormlight is what I think this implies, so the mentions of blue garnets are quite possibly a mistake.

Edited by Moogle

• 2 weeks later...

Eye color typos:

1) Moash.

He glanced to the side, noticing that Moash hadn’t left with the other three. The narrow-faced man had dark green eyes and brown hair flecked with black.
(WoK)

Tall and solid, Moash had a scar on his chin but no slave brand on his forehead. He walked straight-backed with his chin up. Save for those dark brown eyes of his, he could have passed for an officer.
(WoR)

2) Elhokar.

The king beamed. His golden Shardplate gleamed in the noonday sun; he had his faceplate up, revealing light yellow eyes, a strong nose, and a clean-shaven face that was almost too handsome, with its full lips, broad forehead, and firm chin. Gavilar had looked like that too, before he’d suffered a broken nose and that terrible scar on his chin.

(WoK)

Dalinar turned to meet the king’s eyes. Pale green. Like his father’s.

(WoR)

Edited by Moogle

• 2 months later...

In chapter 52 'Into the Sky', Kaladin tells Syl, "Szeth called this a Lashing." Question is, how did he know Szeth's name? Alethi have only ever known him as the assassin in white. I couldn't find anywhere how Kal came by Szeth's name. If someone can confirm this, we could add this to the typo list.

In chapter 52 'Into the Sky', Kaladin tells Syl, "Szeth called this a Lashing." Question is, how did he know Szeth's name? Alethi have only ever known him as the assassin in white. I couldn't find anywhere how Kal came by Szeth's name. If someone can confirm this, we could add this to the typo list.

After Kaladin tackles Szeth out and they take a tumble, Szeth says this, finding out Kaladin is a KR:

The assassin scrambled backward , eyes as wide as if Kaladin had turned into a chasmfiend. “They told me I was a liar!” the assassin screamed. “They told me I was wrong! Szeth-son-son-Vallano . . . Truthless. They named me Truthless!”

• 2 weeks later...

Eye color typos:

1) Moash.

2) Elhokar.

After reading some words of brandon, I wonder if this is a mistake about elhokar's eye color. Different orders have different colored eyes. I wouldn't be surprised if he is already using storm light. Stoneward maybe?

Edited for clarity.

Edited by Sete

After reading some words of brandon, I wonder if this is a mistake about elhokar's eye color. Different orders have different colored eyes. I wouldn't be surprised if he is already using storm light. Stoneward maybe?

Edited for clarity.

Elhokar just does not fit into any order. He does not have the attributes. He just can't be using stormlight. It must be a typo.

I found a couple of things when I was looking for things about the Everstorm.

In chapter 87, the first 3 instances of the word are written "everstorm": since for all other instances of the word, the initial "E" is capitalized, I assume this is a mistake.

These are in the first paragraph of page 1044, the second-last paragraph of page 1049, and the first paragraph of page 1050.

In chapter 89, in Dalinar's conversation with the Stormfather:

“And it will transform the Parshmen. Is there no way to stop it?”

No.

page 1071, right at the top of the page.

I'm not as certain about this one, but it sounds like that "No" is the Stormfathers response to Dalinar's question, in which case it should be entirely capitalized.

I've taken all page/paragraph numbers from the UK hardcover, and I've verified that they are also in my ebook version.

• 4 weeks later...

The Stormfather speaks in small caps. It's hard to tell a small caps o apart from a regular lowercase o.

Also, I've fixed the Blades count thing by having Teleb use a King's Blade on the expedition.

Moash's eye color will also need to be changed in Way of Kings. :)

Edited by PeterAhlstrom

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know if this is a typo but it has been niggling me for sometime.

In chapter 89 WOR

“It’s horribly unfair you managed that on your first try,” Kaladin noted. “It took me forever.”

“I had instruction,” Dalinar said, walking into the room and tucking the sphere away. “The Stormfather called me Bondsmith.”

I think Dalinar meant that since Storm father had called him Bondsmith previously, he had a good idea about his second oath. But I could not find any instance of Stormfather calling Dalinar Bondsmith prior to his speaking of the second oath except in the back cover introduction in WOR. Will that count. Please someone correct me if I am wrong

This is not a 'typo' per se, maybe it's a "translation" thing that I notice when reading the book (probably me being far too pedantic):

In Kaladin's POV's, Moash is consistently described as a 'hawk-faced man'. What's a hawk, precious? Is it some kind of chicken?

Them again, I can't think of an economic way of describing such a physiognomy that does not reference birds of prey.

• 3 months later...

On page 1071 (British edition, "Export Trade Paperback") the Stormfather says:

I am the sliver of the almighty himself!

It's written in small caps but I couldn't find a bb-code for it (and I'm too lazy to bother with different type sizes :)).

Should "sliver" be capitalized?

Anyways: "Almighty" should be capitalized, I think.

• 11 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Is this thread still being watched?

This one's on page 608 of the hardback. "Hopefully, from that position, she wouldn't notice that Amaram was shorter than he should be. Even walking on her tiptoes--which was masked by the illusion--she was shorter than the highprince."

Instead of highprince, it should be highmarshal.

EDIT: So, I checked the paperback version, and this change has already been made :ph34r:

Edited by Evenstrom
Looked at the paperback version

• 7 months later...
On 10/22/2014 at 1:42 PM, Twenty@20 said:

I don't know if this is a typo but it has been niggling me for sometime.

In chapter 89 WOR

“It’s horribly unfair you managed that on your first try,” Kaladin noted. “It took me forever.”

“I had instruction,” Dalinar said, walking into the room and tucking the sphere away. “The Stormfather called me Bondsmith.”

I think Dalinar meant that since Storm father had called him Bondsmith previously, he had a good idea about his second oath. But I could not find any instance of Stormfather calling Dalinar Bondsmith prior to his speaking of the second oath except in the back cover introduction in WOR. Will that count. Please someone correct me if I am wrong

OK, not sure with this one.

"I had instruction"; Shouldn't it be "I had instructions" or "I had an instruction" or "I've had Instruction (capitalise to denote an individual)" or "I've had the instruction"?

English is my 2nd language, so I just want to check

On 4/14/2017 at 1:20 AM, axcellence said:

OK, not sure with this one.

"I had instruction"; Shouldn't it be "I had instructions" or "I had an instruction" or "I've had Instruction (capitalise to denote an individual)" or "I've had the instruction"?

English is my 2nd language, so I just want to check

I think that one is fine.  "Instruction" in that case is a gerund: a verb used as a noun (if I'm not mixing up my grammar rules).  It's past tense, hence "had", and it makes perfect sense as a native English speaker.