2017-12-21 Barnes & Noble, Orem, UT

Mason Wheeler

12 hours ago, OrangeJedi said:

I can ask that one. Great question, I want to know the answer now...Hopefully not a RAFO...

I will be definitely be recording the line and almost certainly staying the whole time. Nothing more exiting than listening to WoB's for 3 hours!

Thank you, I appreciate it and look forward to hearing my RAFO :lol:.

@JoyBlu, Sorry I don't have my BoM copy at the moment. But it is around half way through the book at the party just after they arrive in New Seran.

12 hours ago, OrangeJedi said:

Just got done asking questions. The answer to the Hoid one was "he was talking about the mansion "

@The Sovereign  @WeiryWriter

Brandon Sanderson clearly answered the question —before @OrangeJedi even finished asking the question. 

—and I’m pretty sure I remember the part now. I just took my brain a bit to go back to Scadrial because it’s been hanging out in Roshar & Nalthis lately. 

Edited by JoyBlu

8 hours ago, Chaos said:

He is saying that it's Autonomy there (specifically an aspect of Autonomy). He alluded to this on the 16th. 

OB epigraph spoiler:

Reveal hidden contents

Which is the author of the second letter in OB

Thanks, I looked it up after I posted and that is the same answer I got. I also got confirmation with another WoB. "There is a connection between Autonomy and Patji". Guess thats what you get when you don't read the shard for a week. :)

So here is the audio from my first time through the line. (Thanks @OrangeJedi for recording)  Later on, I had some friends go through who had an extra wristband and I hopped in with them (after buying another book for him to sign) and asked the question about the color green and Mraize's chicken. (Is it just green, or green and another color)  When I find that audio I will post exactly what he said about the green chicken's color. Basically -- It's green.  I have to admit after listening to myself talk at the signing I realize that I need to just shut my mouth and let Brandon talk!!!

@MonsterMetroid  "Is Mraizes aviar from First of the Sun, or is it from another planet?"

BRANDON SANDERSON: If it’s called an Aviar, its origin is First of the Sun.

@JoyBlu Color of the Green Chicken.  In Sixth of dusk there is a green and white aviar and a green and red plumed aviar. Is the color green important?

BRANDON SANDERSON:  I’ll RAFO that. 

@JoyBlu  The Patji Lake.  Theoretically could an Aviar fly into the Lake on its own and into the Cognitive Realm?

BRANDON SANDERSON: Theoretically, um, so

@JoyBlu   Like have a bird catcher on the other side waiting for birds to fly in?

BRANDON SANDERSON: Theoretically, I’m going to RAFO that.  But it’s not a big RAFO.  Its more along the lines of I’m going to get into the mechanics of how things go through shardpools in future books.  Right? What you just described is not outside of reason.

@JoyBlu Could also one of the grubs/parasites/rotten fruit – whatever – could that have fallen into the lake?

BRANDON SANDERSON: That is Plausible. The question is once it gets to be a non-sentient thing, -- how does going through to the realms work? -- That’s where it starts to get – that’s where you get your asterisk. OK?  Like that piece of fruit falling – I’m going to asterisk that one

@JoyBlu Evi – In Oathbringer.  She uses strange idioms. You had mentioned to watch / be on the lookout for people using strange idioms. . . . (examples “White as the sun at night” ) Is Evi native to Roshar?

BRANDON SANDERSON: Yes.  Her people are related to the Iri – who are not native to Roshar. She is not Irili herself.  And all the Irili – they are native to Roshar – the people who are born now – even if their people aren’t. So  Evi you could say right, like no humans are native to Roshar. But, Yes, She (Evi) was born on Roshar.

@JoyBlu Would she (Evi) might have some of the same blood in her that Vivenna & Siri from WarBreaker would have?

BRANDON SANDERSON:  I’ll RAFO that.

Edited by JoyBlu

Hey Joy, you'll be finding that we've been putting things in Arcanum already, I've been snipping the audio into parts and I've got about an hour in so far. https://wob.coppermind.net/events/312-orem-signing/ fyi. It seems nobody's quite got around to transcribing that particular snippet. but it'll be done soon :) 

18 hours ago, Joe ST said:

Hey Joy, you'll be finding that we've been putting things in Arcanum already, I've been snipping the audio into parts and I've got about an hour in so far. https://wob.coppermind.net/events/312-orem-signing/ fyi. It seems nobody's quite got around to transcribing that particular snippet. but it'll be done soon :) 

Thanks for all your work! And for the link I can only see 4 questions up there now, but I’m guessing it all needs to go through an approval process. I’m looking forward to reading them all. 

I can’t even imagine how much time it takes to transcribe. I had to listen to my own part a plethora of times before i got it all right and I was there and knew what I was thinking. (I had no idea I said “um” so much)  (hope that’s ok I left the um’s out of my transcriptions of myself  — way too distracting)  

18 hours ago, MonsterMetroid said:

Nice haul @JoyBlu That part with Evi and the Iri is super interesting though... makes me wonder if something happened to nalthis that caused a migration.

Makes me wonder too. It might shine some light as to why Vasher came to Roshar. (Not necessarily why he left Nalthis) Maybe he has relatives here. ? 

no worries about the ums or errs, they pale in comparison to the pen squeak, or to the majority of people who ask no questions and Brandon saying thanks for reading, or (at least in this one) Isaac tiredly saying "I'm the map maker" in various different ways. XD you're all good!

Oh boy the last couple of days have been so incredibly busy so sorry I'm only now reporting back. I did make it, it was a grand time. Got some books signed for myself plus a gift for a friend (a copy of Edgedancer. It was so funny when she opened it, looked inside and was just like "When the heck did you get this signed?" because she didn't know I was going to this signing), and asked some questions. @JoyBlu I am kinda bummed I didn't see you. I kept my eyes peeled but I don't think we even passed by each other.

Okay, questions:

Me: When a shard vessel dies after holding the shard for thousands of years, how much do they remember about holding it?

Brandon: Depends on the shard. Usually everything, or most everything. It is not impossible that there are shards that don't want to remember certain things... they have a large and vast mental capacity for remembering things.

Me: Okay, would Ruin be one who would be more likely to want to forget?

Brandon: I think all of them would have things they might want to forget, it depends on whose personality would be more likely to actually make that happen.

----

Minor Oathbringer Spoilers:

Spoiler

Me: Is Vivenna's sword that she uses in Oathbringer the same one that Vasher gives her in Warbreaker?

Brandon: RAFO

----

Me: Does the physical proximity of two planets have an effect on how difficult or easy it is to worldhop between them?

Brandon: Yes

----

Me: If given the opportunity which shard would Kelsier most want to punch next?

Brandon: Who would he want to punch next, ooooh. He would find it really fun to punch Honor. Really fun.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/9/2018 at 5:37 PM, RShara said:

Did anyone here ask or hear the question about whether Azure was hunting the Herald or Zahel?

So . . . 

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]
Was Azure hunting the Herald or is she hunting Zahel?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]
She's <not?> hunting Zahel.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/312/#e8955

I was near there during that question and I remember chatting about it and I think someone said that Azure/Vivenna was hunting Nightblood. So that would mean she wasn’t hunting Zahel/Vasher or a Herald. There were some other things said about speculation about the book Nightblood, that pointed as to why Vivennacwoukd be hunting Nightblood, but I think it was just fan speculation— nothing Brandon himself said. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/24/2017 at 2:49 PM, AllomancerSam said:

Hide contents

Me: Does the physical proximity of two planets have an effect on how difficult or easy it is to worldhop between them?

Brandon: Yes

About the physical proximity making it harder or easier to worldhop -- that probably just means it takes longer to travel through the cognitive realm.