Keteks for all!

Oathforger

Wrote these a while back. 

Spoiler

The city / burning / the sky alight / alight the sky / burns the city

The city, burning, the sky alight. Alight the sky burns the city. 

Spoiler

Dying light / announcing the end / of day / the end announced / by dying light

Dying light, announcing the end of day. The end announced by dying light.

Spoiler

A storm rages / across the sea / while I watch / the sea across / the raging storm

A storm rages across the sea while I watch the sea across the raging storm. 

• 4 weeks later...

Honor is dead. So return the Radiance. Knights with spren come. Spren with Knights Radiant return. So dead is Honor.

The return of the Knights Radiants.

Father of storms! I do plead: Spare my family. My spared pleading do I. Stormfather!

A ketek prayer to the Stormfather.

I wrote this one as a praise for Brandon. I'm seriously thinking about sending it to him (possibly in stylized glyphs or something). Tell me what do you think about this (and maybe how to improve it) - I guess everybody here agrees that he deserves the highest honors possible, right? I'd probably like to replace "great" with some fancy synonyn, but none seem to fit.
I'm proud of how cleverly I used Wit as both a name and a word, though.

"Only women for not being lucky" - wrote Wit. And your books are great friends, though. Friend, great are books your and wit. Writing, luckily, is not for women only.
"Only women for not being lucky" / wrote Wit. / And your books are great friends, though. / Friend, great are books your and wit. / Writing, luckily, is not for women only.

I also wrote this one, because my parents would send me photos from their trip in the mountains and I didn't know how to respond. A little background - there's at least one mountain in my country that is considered a sleeping knight in legends (kinda looks like one, too).

Summits - the defeated knigths, as shaped in stone - lived. We - lives, stone in shape, as knights defeat the summits.

Edited by cubelith

• 3 weeks later...

A couple I just wrote as a warm-up writing exercise;

"Shearing soul and flesh, screaming. Silent screams, flesh and soul shear."

"Broken, he is without soul. Dies, power creation. power dies, soul without. He is broken."

About shardblades and Adonalsium, respectively

Edited by Cr1msonRa1n
Fixed accidental strange spacing

Alright, I wrote a few more. They're not particularly connected with the books or anything, just my random creations.

This one with a nice meaning:

Steel of shields broken. Will our defeat truly never be endured? Is victory yet possible? Yet victory is endurance - is never truly defeated. Our will breaks shields of steel.

This philosophical one:

Truly, we are but men. Enduring, actually, but weak. Seemingly fragile, seemingly weak, but actually enduring men. But are we, truly?

And this one about a beautiful, amazing thing that happened today, because I forgot my keys and had to walk about 2km to borrow another set:

Beautiful was that sky, clear. So then wind blew. There, it brought darkness, down came rain for purging earth. Storm, raging storm. Earth purged, for rain came down - darkness brought it. There blew wind then, so clear. Sky! That was beautiful.

On 23.04.2018 at 6:37 PM, Gancho Libre said:

How do you do that? I try to make one, then I get carried away in the sentence and write a paragraph about the danger of gerbil-snorting.

I don't mean to brag, but I'm naturally a skilled poet, I guess that transfers to keteks too. I mean, I've mostly written classical (very regular, with full rhymes) poems before I discovered keteks. But I'm very eager to discover new forms, as long as they are strict enough (check out the dróttkvætt for example). And as you can see, I try to find inspiration around me, in music for example. So I guess the important factors are:
- a large vocabulary (useful for finding rhymes in typical poems)
- some intelligence (again, I really don't want to brag, but I've won country-wide maths competitions)
- eagerness and zeal
- general creativity and good ideas

But as a matter of fact, and this time I mean to brag, I'm just 17, and English is not my native language. But keep trying, the more you write, the bigger the chance that some will be really good!

Also, thank you for your appreciation!

Edited by cubelith

I wrote this one a while back

I sit in darkness, waiting, thinking, waiting darkness in, sits I 

and this is one I wrote during lunch

with breath, the colors bloom, breathtaking , blooming colors, the breath with

wind whispers, souls sing, darkness comes to life, to become dark songs, souls whisper winds

Edited by Skip Hates Dragons

Wow, are these really good! Really, these are: "wow."

Ahem. Anyways.  I'll have a go.

Spoiler

Winds come. The howling zephyrs shake trees and scour lands clean. Lands scoured and trees shaken, zephyrs howl: the coming winds.

Hmm...  I dunno about this one.  Storms, it can be tricky to come up with a satisfactory ketek.

The "wow" one is great!  As to the "actual" one, it's yet another instance of a persistent problem: the symmetry is a very simple reflection, so the second part doesn't add anything. "Winds come" and "coming winds" are pretty much the same thing. The same goes for "[zephyrs] shake trees and scour lands" and "lands scoured and trees shaken". The whole trick is to write such sentences that the reversed order can provide new meaning. The same goes for simple inversions like "death before life" into "life before death".

Keep trying though, this world needs more keteks!

But in order to limit spam I'll add one of mine here. It's about epic music. Enjoy!

Now silence. Soft sounds, dreadful, anxious. Now close, folding open. Heavens! The power, immense power! The heavens open! Folding close now. Anxious, dreadful sounds soft silence now.

Edited by cubelith

5 hours ago, tabitreader said:

Are ketek's a fictional poetry that Brandon Sanderson created?

Is there a non-fiction name for poetry formed this way?

I looked up reverse poetry, and that surely is not a ketek design.

Any literature scholars here?

I'm not sure.  Probably there is, but maybe not in Western literature...?  <-- just a wild guess, take with a pinch of copper. 
Anyone else have an answer? If not, that seems like a good question to ask Brandon himself (maybe first try searching the Arcanum for "ketek" WoB's, if you haven't already)

@cubelith thanks for the advice! :) That's pretty helpful. 

Here's my next ketek:

"Sailors seek refuge, for home lies beyond reach. Beyond lies: home for refuge-seeking sailors."

The second "lies" refers to falsehoods/deceptions (in case that wasn't clear), which gives the second half a more metaphorical meaning of "home" than the first half of the ketek.

EDIT: And here's a ketek about me first looking at this forum topic.

"Coming in hopeful. Keteks better even than expected! I expect, then, even better keteks hopefully in-coming." ;)

Yeah, I know, technically "than" and "then" are two different words.  To paraphrase Pirates of the Caribbean: the rules are more like guidelines than actual rules...

Edited by Zath
Added a second ketek