Keteks for all!

Oathforger

I figured I'd round out the trifecta. I think I broke some rules in regards to article usage, but I'm not sure. Critique welcome.

Life Before Death

Abounding life // To give us all // Self // All of us give // Life abounding

Strength Before Weakness

Mind and arm // A protecting strength // Young and old alike, old and young // Strength of protection // Arm and mind

Journey Before Destination

Step by step // Moving onward // Forward, ever forward // Onward moving // Step by step

Edited by amflare

On 12/31/2017 at 5:41 PM, hoiditthroughthegrapevine said:

The Ketek is such a beautiful and high minded art form that it seems truly remarkable that there hasn't been at least one fart joke so far, so here is my humble attempt to lower this art form for the enjoyment of the common man.

Hide contents

Passing gas, in comfort now home, now comforted in gas passed.

That's hilarious. Obviously there would be an in-world low/parodic mode of the ketek, because people are still people...  Also trivial exercises like the haiku homework a kid supposedly wrote ending in "are you happy now?" --

"Ketek writing due - I duly write a ketek"

Edited by robardin

On 12/15/2017 at 11:21 PM, MistLord said:

A Ketek about space exploration. The dream of travellers going to their destination, and the dream of those who wish to travel. 

Hide contents

Chasing stars, all of us moving towards hope. Hope towards moving all of us, star chasing. 

On 12/16/2017 at 3:22 PM, Totally_Not_A_Worldhopper said:

Hide contents

Now, alone, longing, I hope for peace, for hope I long, alone now.

Hide contents

Bodies of brothers, I am weeping and bloody. And weeping am I, brother of bodies.

On 1/10/2018 at 5:08 PM, amflare said:

Journey Before Destination

Step by step // Moving onward // Forward, ever forward // Onward moving // Step by step

You all are amazing! 

On 1/5/2018 at 10:00 PM, Krypton Savant said:

Oathforger, / brilliant so! / I love these keteks / these love I/ so brilliant Oathforger!

Holy so we are. / Wait. / Are we so holy?

-This second one here is a Ketek questioning its own existence. I know it has 3 parts instead of the traditional 5, but it should still get points on solely philosophical basis alone.

It could have the traditional five parts if it's divided like so
Holy / so we are. / Wait. / Are we / so holy?

I am not certain about the fourth part forming a complete thought... I wonder if Alethi scholars ever argue about proper division of keteks. "Clearly, it's Above / silence illuminating / storms dying / storms illuminate the silence / above!" or something like that.

I decided to write one about history repeating itself.

History of slaves / chained by vicious spiral / repeating, vicious / spiral by chained/ slaves of history.

Wow these are great eveyone! Wanted to do one about one of my favorite parts of Oathbringer, although I'm afraid its not very good.

Spoiler

Thrill // conquered feelings, final // rational thoughts // Dalinar // thinking rationally // finally feeling // conquers Thrill

Here's one about the idea of keteks themselves, and how they are inspired by Vorin teachings and are holy. Though I suppose you could apply it to writing in general. 

Divine touches creating beauty, men inspiring to write to inspire men - beauty creating, touching divinity.

On 2/4/2018 at 2:10 PM, Doc12 said:

Here's one about the idea of keteks themselves, and how they are inspired by Vorin teachings and are holy. Though I suppose you could apply it to writing in general. 

Divine touches creating beauty, men inspiring to write to inspire men - beauty creating, touching divinity.

-1 point for the blasphemous suggestion of men writing, but still high marks.

I was messing around with these, below are the ones I came up with. The second one is dedicated to Hoid.

Pouring rain, evening descends, quiet still quiet, descending evening, rain pouring.

Bacon sizzles, the aromas waft smells, delicious smells, wafting aromas, the sizzling bacon.

Pen to page, words to write, thoughts create thoughts, writing to words, page to pen.

Just found this thread. Lots of awesome stuff! I challenged myself to write one on the spot. I didn't want to spend too much time on it, saw my guitar, and thought of Wit telling Kaladin the story of Fleet. Also, is it mentioned if Keteks are given titles? 

Running in tune. No waiting for song.  On fleet on! Song for waiting, no. Tune in running. 

I don't know if this one is quite legal, as the 'a's and the 'to' are not in the same spot. I think that the chapter Ketek in WoR or Oathbringer does the same thing though. I think it's still pretty good even if it isn't legal.

Spoiler

A renewed creation / gives rise to / glory / to give rise to / a creation renewed

I wrote this one myself.

Edited by Glaedr Firnen

I think I do have it this time.

Spoiler

Darkness brings / light. / Forever, renewing / forever, / light brings darkness.

YES! I finally made a perfect one as far as the definition of a Ketek, doesn't even change verb form. As for the actual meaning, I wrote it about the day/night cycle, how it never really stays light or dark forever, but each always gives way to the other, on and on forever.

Edited by Glaedr Firnen

On 2/16/2018 at 5:10 PM, Glaedr Firnen said:

YES! I finally made a perfect one as far as the definition of a Ketek, doesn't even change verb form. As for the actual meaning, I wrote it about the day/night cycle, how it never really stays light or dark forever, but each always gives way to the other, on and on forever.

Wait a minute. Perfect Keteks don't change verb form (or switch between noun and verb form)? I thought you were allowed to change verb form and still have it be a perfect Ketek. To me, it sounds nice when you try to change the form a little bit, because it adds more variation.

Oh well. Here's some more I've made.

Falling, / the ground recedes. / Watching skies. / Watching receding ground. / The falling.

Falling, the ground recedes. Watching skies. Watching receding ground. The falling.

Eh. This one's not the best.

Voidbringers: / Darkness rising from skin. / Their horrifying unearthly forms constantly forming unearthly horrors, / their skins from rising darkness. / Voidbringers.

Voidbringers: Darkness rising from skin. Their horrifying unearthly forms constantly forming unearthly horrors, their skins from rising darkness. Voidbringers.

Very very very good (well, I think so). This one actually is a decent length and is pretty cool.

Storms. / Dying men. Appearing on horizons, / then leaving the horizons. / On appearing, men die. / Storms.

Storms. Dying men. Appearing on horizons, then leaving the horizons. On appearing, men die. Storms.

Kinda lame.

Swift as wind, even. / Not killing men. / Protecting. / Protecting men killed. / Not even wind as swift.

Swift as wind, even. Not killing men. Protecting. Protecting men killed. Not even wind as swift.

Talking about Kaladin. See now, it might not make sense why he would be protecting men killed if they’re already dead, but killed is actually supposed to be a future perfect passive participle, which should be translated “about to be killed.” In Latin, it would be one word, but unfortunately, I cannot do that with English, so I just said “Protecting men killed” and wrote you a note telling you that it should be translated as a future perfect passive participle. Oh yeah, and the end “Not even wind as swift,” is just telling you that even the wind is slower than he. This one isn't too good though.

Hoid / Hoid / Hoid / Hoid / Hoid.

Hoid Hoid Hoid Hoid Hoid

Technically, this is a Ketek.

MMMM. / Mmmmmmmm. / MmM! / Mmmmmmmm. / MMMM.

MMMM. Mmmmmmmm. MmM! Mmmmmmmm. MMMM.

A Ketek by Pattern. (More of a modern art style Ketek)

Writing Keteks is hard work.1

And when I fail I feel a jerk.2

So I did write this short-ish verse

So lighten up my mood so terse.

Encouragement to all of you

Who to this thread might now be new.

I do indeed this one gift give

That in my death you all might live

So don’t feel bad if your Keteks suck.3

I wish to you the best of luck.

If ne’er again you hear from me,

Ha, suckers! I’ve moved on to eternity.4

Yes.

1 Heck yeah.

2 Note the last two Keteks I wrote.

3 I mean, half of mine do. Not meaning to offend anyone.

4 Or maybe I just died. I could have just died.