[OB] Lesser spren bonds: The difference between Human and Listener.

Calderis

Prior to OB, I believed that humans were incapable of the minorspren bonds that you see from the Parsh. This is still true in the most fundamental way, namely the forms. The Sadeas troops at the end though, show us that humans can bond with lesser spren. In the case of voidspren, they can have their will subverted in the exact same manner as Stormform. 

I believe from what we saw, that the Spren could be attracted in the same manner, by the proper mindset. So perhaps someone angry would attract angerspren, and if one entered them it would make their sense of anger stronger, and perhaps temporarily strengthen them and nudge them towards maintaining that anger for a longer time.  

The caveat to this though, is that humans lack gemhearts. Without an ability to contain the Spren internally, they could only maintain the bond for as long as the proper mindset is maintained. This is why the Thrill was so important to the book's outcome. 

The Thrill put the troops into the proper mindset to bond with the voidspren, whatever type they were. Once bonded, the Spren were in control, and the Thrill insured that that mindset didn't change. Once the Thrill was trapped, the mindset was quickly lost and the men came back under their own control.

Edited by Ookla, the Incalculable

I really dig this - I also was dead sure there was no way for humans to connect to minor spren in such a way. 

In your example of angerspren, following this up, I'm not sure that an angerspren would actually have an effect on the human's anger; that voidspren were a special case having a special ability to affect humans in a way that most minor spren cannot. It might be a special thing that might be specific only to voidspren. I don't really have quotes from OB to back this up... I don't know, thoughts?

@Greywatch without being directed to enter the person like the voidspren were I think it would be an exceptionally rare occurrence. If it did manage to happen though, I can't see a spren having no effect at all I don't think it would be anything near as drastic as what we saw in book, but I can't see it doing nothing. 

• Chaos locked this topic