Official Star Wars Episode VIII Spoiler Topic

Briar King

Title hit today. Not a big fan of it atm.

i don't mind if spoilers make their way here but please make sure they are all properly tagged so people can be safe reading through thread as it gets larger.

**STAFF HIJACK OF THE FIRST POST**

Since this topic was revived and being used for EP8 discussion, this has been promoted to the stickied, spoilered thread for discussion of this movie. Please leave all spoilers in here! Jump to later pages for more recent discussion (at least to past here).

--Eerongal

I'm unsticking the topic, as EP8 is old news now.

--Mestiv

33 minutes ago, bleeder said:

Finally.

I think Rian Johnson said it would directly resume after Episode 7.

I'm super pumped.

There was rumors at the time that they just kept rolling and switched directors cause that location is very protected and extremely time sensitive. So it would not be surprising if we zapped right back to her holding that saber out to him.

Here's my thoughts based on the title (copied from a Facebook comment I made):

I don't think Rey is going to become a Jedi. I think Luke has seen the flaws in the Jedi Order and will train her in a new way, making him The Last Jedi. If he's found the original Jedi temple, or one of the earliest ones, that could have led him to find the fatal flaw.

The same flaw that brought down Anakin Skywalker.

Division.

Namely, the false division of the Light and Dark sides. Not that there isn't a Dark Side that leads to destruction, but that isn't caused by emotions, attachment, even fear or hate. It's from seizing the power of the Force for yourself instead of letting it flow through you.

I would find it very fitting for Luke and Rey to finally resolve the problem Anakin discovered in the Jedi Order, and bring balance truly to the Force.

On 1/23/2017 at 10:33 PM, Jondesu said:

Namely, the false division of the Light and Dark sides. Not that there isn't a Dark Side that leads to destruction, but that isn't caused by emotions, attachment, even fear or hate. It's from seizing the power of the Force for yourself instead of letting it flow through you.

I would find it very fitting for Luke and Rey to finally resolve the problem Anakin discovered in the Jedi Order, and bring balance truly to the Force.

I've had a theory for a while that the only way to bring balance to the force is for humans to no longer use it, Jedi or Sith.

57 minutes ago, Elenion said:

I'm not a big fan of the title either. It's like cinema clickbait: the idea is to intrigue the viewers into watching the movie to see who the last Jedi is/ are.

Eh, I think people are blowing it out of proportion. The opening crawl of The Force Awakens called Luke "the last Jedi". It's clearly a reference to him, though it could have deeper meaning too.

19 minutes ago, Jondesu said:

Eh, I think people are blowing it out of proportion. The opening crawl of The Force Awakens called Luke "the last Jedi". It's clearly a reference to him, though it could have deeper meaning too.

That was before Rey (Typed Rae first. You know you're an SE player when... :P) happened. Now that we've got 2 light-side force users, we've got a whole 'Will Luke die and Rey replace him? Or is Rey not going to be a Jedi?' thing going.

On 1/24/2017 at 9:38 PM, ThirdGen said:

I've had a theory for a while that the only way to bring balance to the force is for humans to no longer use it, Jedi or Sith.

Keep in mind, though, that not all Jedi/Sith are actually human. (Darth Maul, Yoda, etc.)

• 1 month later...
41 minutes ago, Briar King said:

Bump isn't Celebration around the corner? Hoping for a teaser!

Actually, most of the actors have wished for no teaser or trailer to be released, allowing for speculation to build.

Also, J.J. Abrams said that Luke is so good that Mark Hamill will win an Oscar.

• 5 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, StrikerEZ said:

Wait, what? To me, if looked like he was sleeping or something in that scene.

But what about the suit? It looks like some sort of spacesuit. Of course, it could be a healing thing like the one Luke was in on Hoth. But I want mech suits in Star Wars!

I think it's just a healing tube.

my thoughts on Luke's dialogue. We have no way of knowing when this happens. Based on the way Luke looks at Rey in 7 after she produces saber I'm 60% sure this whole bit could have taken place before she gets there. He could be talking to the Ghost saying Jedi must end and then she turns up with the impossible odds of having Anakins saber and the look in 7 is him realizing he can't be last Jedi after all. It's all about that look in 7 to me. This can be easily torn apart I know but I can see them opening with Luke prior to her landing.

19 hours ago, Dragon314 said:

i watched this (3 times) and Luke's words concern me. its kind of like how J.k rowling misunderstood the geodes character rule of breaking in half to see what there made of and instead crushing her characters into a 16 pieces.

I've been convinced for a while that Luke plans to end the Jedi/Sith, Light/Dark dichotomy, and he'll be coming from a place of understanding both the Dark and Light sides of the force and being able to control them both within himself.  He tried doing things the "right" way, but when Ben turned on him, he sought out the first Jedi Temple, they said.  I think he discovered/realized that the whole system was built on a flaw, and that reaching balance inside each Force user is what's important, rather than balancing the Force. A Grey Jedi, essentially, if you're familiar with the EU.