[OB] Does anyone else like Jasnah?

The Night Watcher

I think she's my favorite character. Used to be Kaladin until I read between the lines for her character. She's so much more emotional than she lets on, and I feel like no one sees it! I don't understand how people say she's cold when she has so much passion for her work! I've... actually done psychoanalysis on her. (PleaseDon'tTellMySocialWorkingMomShe'llBeAshamed).

I feel she's the most realistic character, so I was wondering if anyone else shares my ridiculous obsession.

Cool and rational. I find her a refreshing female character.  I don't understand why it's assumed she must be a lesbian.  I know several woman that are not married or in a relationship who are not lesbians. Some people just chose to be alone.  

Edited by Prelude

2 minutes ago, SilverTiger said:

I like Jasnah, she's one of my favorite characters. But, what is this about her being lesbian (and what does that word mean in the first place)?

A lesbian is a woman who is attracted to other women, as opposed to men. We're positing that she's gay, essentially. 

I don't think not wanting to marry Amaram points in that direction. Guy seemingly was always a douche.

I also love Jasnah! She is a fantastic character, and I feel like most of Shallan's problems could be solved by confiding in her. Jasnah is also clearly the strongest radiant (possibly except for Dalinar) at the moment, and there are indications that she even has her armor.

Jasnah is my favorite Stormlight Character, and up there as far as my favorite Cosmere characters. I waver between thinking she's Ace and a Lesbian, though I want her to be a big ol' dyke for my own selfish dykey reasons.

I would be her Ward any day, though falling in love with her would probably be an issue, XD

Jasnah is probably my favorite character. have no headcanon as to her sexuality because it's completely irrelevant to the things that make her awesome. I remember when JK Rowling revealed that Dumbledore was gay and the world seemed to freak out, I was more like "so what?". the things that made him an interesting character (his decisions triumphs and failures) were completely unrelated. 

@Prelude, @Ookla the Melodious

I'm no mod, and I have no wish to steal their job, but I think you should try and spoiler tag your OB-stuff :-)

As for Jasnah, I don't like her much. That logical, colder approach to things bother me, both in Stormlight and IRL. Furthermore, everyone else loves her, and I don't get the hype. And finally, a whole lot of people generally worships her, and I just don't like it. Whatever the problem is, Jasnah always has the answer, or is the solution. She is built up to be much more powerful than everyone else, and her coldness and logic makes her fully aware of it. To me, she feels like a cold person, who is generally good at everything, and is very aware of it. It personally gives me a very unsymphatetic impression of her at times. If we got to see her being weak, not as strong, making bad calls, and not always being the solution, I might like her more. 

I also very much like Jasnah and am looking forward to her backstory book.  

I don't necessarily agree with the position that she is lesbian however.  I think it is more likely that she experienced some sort of abuse or traumatic event involving a potential lover/political spouse.

I cannot recall where it is exactly (could be WoK or WoR) but there is absolutely a somewhat subtle reference to this in one of the first two books where we get a Jashna pov.  Also, there have been a good number of references (and also many popular theories here) that the Nahel bond works best with a human that is "broken".  A traumatic history with male relations would quite well.

Granted a history of abuse and being gay are not mutually exclusive and we have seen that the Alethi are open to alternative sexualities (does that count as a OB spoiler?)

On 12/13/2017 at 10:06 PM, Prelude said:

Cool and rational. I find her a refreshing female character.  I don't understand why it's assumed she must be a lesbian.  I know several woman that are not married or in a relationship who are not lesbians. Some people just chose to be alone.  

Agreed. Plus, BS is Mormon, and while he did include Drehy's situation, I doubt he'd do it with a main character.

Long time lurker + first post!

I don't have an opinion, nor do I care, as to her being a lesbian. As far as BS being a Mormon, which I am not, Jashna is also an atheist (correct term?). His personal faith didn't stop him from writing a main character as such. BTW she is an awesome character and I greatly look forward to her book.

Edited by Jsephus

On 16/12/2017 at 0:05 AM, Oathforger said:

Agreed. Plus, BS is Mormon, and while he did include Drehy's situation, I doubt he'd do it with a main character.

If her sexuality isn't relevant to the Story. I see no issue for him to make her lesbian. Like in the famous case of Dumbledore in HP.

By the way, I don't believe She is lesbian, She will have no reason to hide that, I think She is simply extremely uninteressed in romance or sexual relationship.

On 12/15/2017 at 8:39 PM, Jsephus said:

Long time lurker + first post!

I don't have an opinion, nor do I care, as to her being a lesbian. As far as BS being a Mormon, which I am not, Jashna is also an atheist (correct term?). His personal faith didn't stop him from writing a main character as such. BTW she is an awesome character and I greatly look forward to her book.

Yeah, I don't see Brandon having a problem making a main character gay, especially given how much research he put into Jasnah's Atheism. To those who allude to us Gay-ers assuming that she's gay because she isn't in a relationship: That is not why I, and probably others, see her as possibly gay. For me, as a gay woman scientist, I see a lot of myself in her. The fact that she isn't currently in, and hasn't had, a relationship with a man only adds another data point towards her possible homosexuality (Though that also adds a point towards her possible asexuality, as well).

Regardless, she's dope as hell and I adore her and want to watch her wreck many fools, both in battle and out.

I'm thinking that Jasnah is asexual. I get the thought that she might be gay, but she hasn't shown any romantic interest in anyone. As for her trauma, some of the flashbacks alluded that she was insane as a child. I'm quite curious about what exactly was going on there. Maybe it was abuse by a respected Brightlord at the time, or something else entirely.