[OB] Sountrack for the Stormlight Archive

aemetha

Music is so important for setting the scene in movies and TV shows. The imperial march for the Sith Empire in star wars for example. What would you have for the soundtrack?

I know this is previously used in TV, but it is just soooo Nale for me. This would really get me in the mood when he came on scene. I can see him chasing a radiant pitilessly when I hear it.

Shalash finds Taln, and he thanks her for what the heralds did.

Edited by aemetha

I used BWV 538 for tWoK. (J.S. Bach)

I think I used BWV 548 for WoR. (J.S. Bach)

I used Music in 12 parts, part 7 and Music With Changing Parts for OB. (Philip Glass)

Music is very important, and only the best of music may be used for the Stormlight archive. No pop music is allowed. "You ruinsed it! Stupid Fat Hobbit!"

2 minutes ago, The Invested Beard said:

I would say any sort of modern music would be jarring and a bad fit for SLA. Classical score all the way.

I honestly think stuff in line with Trans Siberian Orchestra would work pretty well. Things like Freedom Call and Dragonforce that use a lot of Fantasy Gibberish lyrics. Nightwish's Fantasmic feels right to me with the Flute Solo as well. 

Two Steps from Hell has a good chunk of applicable classicalish stuff. 

Over the cores of reading stormlight I have listened to some song that I though would go Well with certain scenes of fit certain themes or characters.  Over all I belive most of the song should be orchestral in nature. 

In the prolog of way of kings with seth I always though this song from Ghost in the shell would work well.  The songs drums could correspond to the drums the parshendi are playing with the volcals coming in as soon as Szeth  start's killing. I think it would be cool if the drums come back later during Szeth's rampages as well as during parts where the thrill is present as well as the Parshendi army.

Another song That reminds me of Stormlight is The Beginning of the End / What Becomes of Us from Final Fantasy Type-0

For some reason I always imagine the song staring as we see Gavilar's Corpse on the ground ushering in the start of the war. 

The Theme at 3:15 wile maybe slightly over dramatic might work well as an Overall nights radiant theme.

Here's another version that slightly more combative .

Abyss watchers From dark souls I think goes very well with The Day of Reckoning flashback Dalinar has. The song to me is beautiful enough to present The angelic wind runners Crashing to earth yet dark and unnerving enough to show massacre to follow.    

The opening parts of The dragon Boy From Spirited Away(0 to 1:40), reminds me of Shadesmar and shallan discovery of the that place. 

Magna Insomnia From Final Fantasy XV  Always fit The End of words of radiance. The beginning Starts with Adolin fighting on the ground while Kaladin fights above. At 1:50 the Sence changes to Kaladin and Szeth in the storm then at 3:10  Kaldin and seth break the storm revealing a heavenly landskape with a setting sun. At 3:47 Kaladin and seth Fight culminating in Szeth getting hurt and fleeing into the storm. At 3:52 the sence swich back and forth between Kaldin chasing Szeath in the storm and Shallan attempting to save the army using the oath gate. 

Finally I think the Lost elf theme from Dragon Age Inquisition  Trespasser  would work very well as a cultivation/ Serious Lift Moments Such as Gox's healing or her Confrontation with Nale. 

That all I can think of right now.

• Pagerunner changed the title to [OB] Sountrack for the Stormlight Archive

I think it was around 2003 or 2004 when I picked up The Eye of the World, I thought it would be a good idea to pick a band I haven't heard and listen all their songs I could find while reading. To this day scenes from the book pop up in my mind every time I hear Stratovarius, and while not all my choices were that good, I would say it turned into fun tradition I have when reading new book.

This time it was Dreamtale andsome of their songs fit pretty damnation nice into the atmosphere of the book. This one became my favourite.

Epic fantasy needs a sweeping symphonic score. Good fantasy, in particularly, needs unique music on to itself. I find it kinda distracting listening to known songs or signature scores from other well known properties (I can't even listen to the LOTR OST when reading the Silmarillion). So what I do is find a fitting symphonic/classical album as a adhoc unique score for my reading experience. For OB I went with Audiomachine's Magnus:

I'm pretty sure there was a thread for Cosmere music way back when? Granted, until OB gets de-spoilered, probably best to keep it here, but still. Wouldn't mind reviving that thread, it was a fun source of music...

Anyhow. I've been reading up on, researching, and listening to Fate-franchise stuff lately.. Naturally, this means I'm trying to loop Fate/Stay Night back to the Cosmere. On which note...

Kind of makes me of think of Aharietam from the point of view of the Heralds; grand, epic final battle, but the ending feels melancholy, as the breaking of the Oathpact should.

Okay, this maybe makes the list because of course I need to include 'Emiya' somehow when discussing music, but it might work as a theme for when the Avengers Knight Radiants are assembling uniting during the climax. Leading to...

COME ON. The name alone screams 'Alethi', and the image makes me think of the Blackthorn. So I think this works as a general battle theme, for the Blackthorn, and for the finale battle of the book.

With divine attributes of brave and obedient, references to the mountain (Urithiru), references to desolation and their association with fire, does anyone else think this song could have been written specifically for the Dustbringers? Lyrics here, with only one change to make it work for them.

Spoiler

Oh, misty eye of the mountain below
Keep careful watch of my brothers' souls
And should the sky be filled with fire and smoke
Keep watching over Durin's Honor's sons

If this is to end in fire
Then we should all burn together
Watch the flames climb high into the night

Calling out father oh
Stand by and we will
Watch the flames burn auburn on
The mountain side

And if we should die tonight
Then we should all die together
Raise a glass of wine for the last time

Calling out father oh
Prepare as we will
The mountain side
Desolation comes upon the sky

Now I see fire
Inside the mountain
I see fire
Burning the trees
And I see fire
Hollowing souls
I see fire
Blood in the breeze
And I hope that you remember me

Oh, should my people fall
Then surely I'll do the same
Confined in mountain halls
We got too close to the flame

Calling out father oh
Hold fast and we will
The mountain side
Desolation comes upon the sky

Now I see fire
Inside the mountain
I see fire
Burning the trees
I see fire
Hollowing souls
I see fire
Blood in the breeze
And I hope that you remember me

And if the night is burning
I will cover my eyes
For if the dark returns
Then my brothers will die
And as the sky is falling down
It crashed into this lonely town
And with that shadow upon the ground
I hear my people screaming out

Now I see fire
Inside the mountains
I see fire
Burning the trees
I see fire
Hollowing souls
I see fire
Blood in the breeze

I see fire (oh you know I saw a city burning out) (fire)
And I see fire (feel the heat upon my skin, yeah) (fire)
And I see fire (uh-uh-uh-uh) (fire)
And I see fire burn auburn on the mountain side

Edited by aemetha

As for me, Two Steps from Hell is the best match for TSA and cosmere in general. Lively, epic and full of emotions. I could literally write here a wall of titles which remind me of it... Ok, so let there be three first pieces that come to my mind:

Such a wonderful melody! Lyrics somehow remind me of Kaladin and Syl relationship. After reading Oathbringer iI think it might also fit to Dalinar/Evi, at least partially.

That one because... well... the title maybe? 

i don't have any particular association with that one... it just sounds like the soundtrack from TSA to me :D

I can't really speak for the score (other than pretty please let John Williams do it), or even for much of a soundtrack. But, there are a couple of songs that I associate with Oathbringer or some of the characters.

For example, the end credits for Oathbringer -- I know that's a while out, but the first thing I did when I put down the book was plug in my iPod, and the first song I listened to was The Loxian Gate by Enya. I know it's probably that I was still high on Oathbringer, but it hit me as the perfect ending music. (Plus, the Loxian Gate, Oathgates? Eh? Eh?)

Spoiler

And then, with the release of my favorite band's new album, I was listening to one of the songs and all I could think was Dalinar. (Which may or may not be accurate. I'm... not the best at character or lyrical interpretations, so don't quote me.)

Spoiler

This version is off the new live album, but you can find the original here.

• Chaos locked this topic