[OB] Kaladin's Ideal Woman

Korbin

47 minutes ago, MonsterMetroid said:
4 hours ago, Korbin said:

So we now know that Shallidan isn't going to happen. (Which really brightens my day)

So not to rain on any parade. But considering the relationships in this book with Dalinar marrying his dead brothers wife, Sabariel and Palona not being married, and a gay romance I dont think Divorce is out of the question. Not saying that is my prediction or that is what I want (it isn't), But Shallan is crazy and Brandon does like to have a full collection of situations it seems.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, and I've said that I've said it before and will say it again before, but Shallan is a member of the one order or Knights that values oaths less than self-awareness and speaking truths. Therefore if anyone were to be breaking oaths and still have it fit, it would be a Lightweaver. The Cryptics are the spren least concerned with oaths, and most concerned with truth and lies, self awareness and self deception. A marriage of self deception would have to fail for a Lightweaver to attain full self awareness.

35 minutes ago, MonsterMetroid said:

When Roshone dies because Moash kills him too, and forces all of Hearthstone to accept that they need to move to Uritheru and Kaladin starts seeing Laral again... yeah its got to be Laral because even as a floating near demigod she is all like "you stabbed my floor" :)

Please, anything but this. Laral is literally the worst kind of lighteyes and the epitome of everything Kaladin says he hates about them and their social hierarchy. I'd rather he end up with the shameless fan insert character (Lyn). I'd rather he end up with Syl in some sort of weird spren-incest that's taboo to the other Radiants. I'd rather he loses his penis in a freak stormlight accident and has to come to terms with living life as a eunuch. Just please don't give me Kaladin and Laral.

10 minutes ago, SLNC said:

Regarding Syladin:

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/171-oathbringer-release-party/#e8267

Sorry for being a buzzkill.

You're not a buzzkill, if it's not at all possible, Brandon would have said so. If Syladin does happen I wouldn't be surprised if it is in book 10. Or five? Are these characters from the First Five going to be in the Back Five? Either way, there is plenty of time for "A Lot" to happen.

1 minute ago, StormingTexan said:

I thought her current mental age was because of her being in the PR and regaining her sapience slowly.

Well one of the honor spren said that she was found sleeping recently... But I guess we don't know what recently is to a spren...

4 minutes ago, Korbin said:

Well one of the honor spren said that she was found sleeping recently... But I guess we don't know what recently is to a spren...

Yeah they did I just don't think that has to do with her mental maturity. She was bonded to a KR before Kaladin and slept because of the pain of here KR dying. 

Edited by StormingTexan

See I read the below as confirmation of Syladin... just me? 

Spoiler

“You should be able to.” He rubbed his finger on the rock. “I don’t think I loved her, Syl. I felt . . . something. A lightening of my burdens when I was near her. She reminds me of someone.”

“Who?”

He opened his palm, and she landed on it, forming into the shape of a young woman with flowing hair and dress. She bent down, inspecting the rock in his palm, cooing over it. Syl could still be shockingly innocent—wide-eyed and excited about the world.

Edited by Hulaine
Fixed formatting

1 hour ago, Ookla the Variable said:

Is Shallan like Evi, or is Adolin like Shallan's dad?

The only thing Lin Davar and Adolin have in common is the Lin in their names. I'd say the side of Shallan that she generally shows adolin has a couple of similarities to evi but because it's an arranged marriage I doubt it's had much of a factor in it and their eventual romance

7 minutes ago, Brightlord Brooding Eyes said:

You're not a buzzkill, if it's not at all possible, Brandon would have said so. If Syladin does happen I wouldn't be surprised if it is in book 10. Or five? Are these characters from the First Five going to be in the Back Five? Either way, there is plenty of time for "A Lot" to happen.

Brandon is often vague to keep options. Anyway.

What Kaladin and Syl share is something, that is more intimate than any interpersonal relationship could ever be. They have melded their spiritwebs, that is a lot more than Connection through love. At any rate, a romantic relationship between Kaladin and Syl would diminish how much the Nahel bond really means. It just isn't romantic and it doesn't need to be.

But that is just my two cents.

Hah, so many topics on Kaladin's love life. If he was supposed to stay forever alone, what would we be even talking about? :ph34r: 

Seeing the beginning of this topic, I expected more of a discussion on what his romantic interest should be like, not who exactly would that be (we've discussed everyone I think), so I'll try to get back to that. 

Quite a lot of people would like to see him with a fighter girl. I agree she needs to be badass, but I'd really hate to see someone military oriented and, well, simply too similar to him - especially another windrunner (dating your captain, nah, so-so). It'd be so much more interesting to see a character with completely different powers that save the day when his are not applicable, so that they could complement each other. 

Also, I don't think Kaladin would be attracted to a killer, even if he accepts himself as one. Apart from his apparent thing for Lightweavers, I would see him maybe with an Elsecaller or Edgedancer type.

And I hope for a lighteyes. He's not conveniently escaping his prejudices, not on my watch. 

7 minutes ago, Hulaine said:

Hide contents

“You should be able to.” He rubbed his finger on the rock. “I don’t think I loved her, Syl. I felt . . . something. A lightening of my burdens when I was near her. She reminds me of someone.”

“Who?”

He opened his palm, and she landed on it, forming into the shape of a young woman with flowing hair and dress. She bent down, inspecting the rock in his palm, cooing over it. Syl could still be shockingly innocent—wide-eyed and excited about the world.

Not me. He showed her the rock like Tien use to collect. Tien cheered him up when he was around he is saying the same thing about Shallan. 

4 minutes ago, Ailvara said:

Seeing the beginning of this topic, I expected more of a discussion on what his romantic interest should be like, not who exactly would that be (we've discussed everyone I think), so I'll try to get back to that. 

What about Azure?! They have the soldier bond and stuff :) 

6 minutes ago, StormingTexan said:

Not me. He showed her the rock like Tien use to collect. Tien cheered him up when he was around he is saying the same thing about Shallan. 

I wanted them to be together after reading Words of Radiance somehow I want this to happen and when I read this at the end of oathbringer I thought it was a foreshadowing that they will be together at some point. I don't know about other people but I feel like one of the themes of Stormlight Archives is evolution the characters are evolving into new and different people than they were in the past so to further demonstrate the evolution of characters why not have a evolution of a species if this makes sense if they were to able to be together somehow their child would be a hybrid of a human in Spren. I hope that makes sense I'm always doing voice to text on my phone so....

6 minutes ago, bdoble97 said:

I wanted them to be together after reading Words of Radiance somehow I want this to happen and when I read this at the end of oathbringer I thought it was a foreshadowing that they will be together at some point. I don't know about other people but I feel like one of the themes of Stormlight Archives is evolution the characters are evolving into new and different people than they were in the past so to further demonstrate the evolution of characters why not have a evolution of a species if this makes sense if they were to able to be together somehow their child would be a hybrid of a human in Spren. I hope that makes sense I'm always doing voice to text on my phone so....

Fair enough but I don't get it from that scene. It seems pretty clear the person he is  reminded of is Tien. The rest of it sounds the same as any of their other interactions so I did not read into that anymore than the previous ones.

Edited by StormingTexan

2 minutes ago, StormingTexan said:

Fair enough but I don't get it from that scene. It seems pretty clear the person he is  reminded of is Tien. The rest of it sounds the same as any of their other interactions so I did not read into that anymore than the previous ones.

I guess you can read into it however your thoughts are for people that want them to be together insert their own meanings into the words that aren't really there hahaha I'm just a big sucker for Love Story

6 minutes ago, bdoble97 said:

I guess you can read into it however your thoughts are for people that want them to be together insert their own meanings into the words that aren't really there hahaha I'm just a big sucker for Love Story

Nope I completely get it even though this relationship creeps me out (like Peter Pan and Tinkerbell hooking up) I understand why people like the idea of it. 

13 minutes ago, Ailvara said:

Elsecaller or Edgedancer

Well, when looking at the whole idea that people are attracted to people like their parents we need to analyse Hesina ( I wouldn't say Lirin because Kal was definitely closer to Hesina). Hesina was the only person in Hearthstone who could read and often read to him from textbooks. This along with just the general vibe I get from her makes me think of the divine attributes learned and giving (Truthwatcher) and Wise and Caring ( Elsecaller). Huh, those are the legitimately the orders that I fit best that's odd. But yeah, I can definitely see Kal with a truthwatcher or an elsecaller (or a renarin)

Just now, Korbin said:

How exactly would it work? How would you have an actual romantic relationship with a spren?

Well, I don't believe physicality is the most important part of a relationship. Emotional support and compassion for the person. They already have that in my opinion. I think the desire for a ship is based on an assumption that he is missing something. I reject the suggestion he is missing the most important parts of a relationship.

Besides, he's pals with an Elsecaller, he can just ask her to pop them over to Shadesmar for a romantic outing if it's that important to people. I just personally don't think it is.

Alright, here are my thoughts/fanfiction on the matter.

I cannot see Jasnah and Kaladin together. At least not romantically. What I can see is Jasnah having the need for a king/prince consort for some political reason and Kaladin would be a good candidate for the position. He is fairly well known and popular with the army and he'd be another Radiant in the Kholin family, which will be a plus in Jasnah's opinion. The issue would be convincing Kaladin to go for it. Maybe lure him in with the prospect of protecting the people of the real by assisting or something like that. So, yeah, no romantic love, but something along the lines of what Gavilar and Navani because I get the feeling that neither where starstruck with each other from what Navani says in The Way of Kings. The last part also fits with an another theory of mine, some people will know what I'm referring to:ph34r:

As for Syl and Kaladin... No, for all the reasons mentioned above...

As for all the other options, I can see them happening or at least being possibilities. Has anyone mentioned Tarah yet? I haven't seen her name popping up yet, but I only did a quick scan so I might have missed something...

32 minutes ago, Ailvara said:

Quite a lot of people would like to see him with a fighter girl. I agree she needs to be badass, but I'd really hate to see someone military oriented and, well, simply too similar to him - especially another windrunner (dating your captain, nah, so-so). It'd be so much more interesting to see a character with completely different powers that save the day when his are not applicable, so that they could complement each other. 

Archer. I've said before in an other thread with similar content. If Kaladin is to be with someone that hasn't yet been introduced yet, and that someone is a fighter,  I suggest an archer. In addition, I'd prefer a Bav (basically Rosharan Scottish in my mind), because I want to see more of them, and while we're at it have her be a Robin Hood type of person, not many forests on Roshar though:(. I wouldn't mind them not being a Radiant, just really good with archery but very mediocre in melee, neither would I mind them not turning into a Windrunner Squire, I'd actually prefer it that way. Anyway, that covers the fanfiction part of this reply.

Edited by DimChatz

37 minutes ago, Hulaine said:

Hide contents

“Who?”

I'm not sure about confirmation per se, but I don't think Kaladin is comparing Shallon to his brother Tian. I think he is comparing Shallon to Syl. As a girl - girl comparison.

Just now, Korbin said:

Is Jasnah a truthwatcher?

Jasnahs an elsecaller, renarins the weird void truthwatcher, and stump is the only proper truthwatcher we've seen but she's not exactly the person I'd think of first for Kal to date. Now that I think about it the divine attributes for both those orders are basically the exact same learned/wise and caring/giving that's odd

10 minutes ago, StormingTexan said:

Nope I completely get it even though this relationship creeps me out (like Peter Pan and Tinkerbell hooking up) I understand why people like the idea of it. 

I have thought about this in the past do you know the TV show Legion he's in love with his girlfriend but she cannot touch him or he cannot touch her do to her mutant powers and they have a mental relationship using his mental powers so maybe they could have a relationship somehow Shadsmare (never remember the proper spelling of that place but I'm a horrible speller anyways so does it really matter) I was also thinking that maybe their bond will surpass anything that a KR in his friend has have in the past and evolve into something more and Syl could gain a physical form on Roshar. Or maybe vice versa Kaladin  will evolve into a higher form of being kind of like that episode on Star Trek TNG when dr. Beverly Crusher kind of likes the alien but he evolved into a higher form of being and was Just Energy

2 minutes ago, bdoble97 said:

Or maybe vice versa Kaladin  will evolve into a higher form of being kind of like that episode on Star Trek TNG when dr. Beverly Crusher kind of likes the alien but he evolved into a higher form of being and was Just Energy

I'm not sure this is a good example. Star Trek is science fiction, while The Stormlight Archive is real life :rolleyes:.