[OB] Kaladin's Ideal Woman

Korbin

Just now, Ookla the Variable said:

It is psychologically probable that you will end up with someone like your parent 

So if we look from that view he could also end up with someone similar to his dad. What super passive people do we know? Are there any that are a mix of his mom and dad?

Just now, Korbin said:

So if we look from that view he could also end up with someone similar to his dad. What super passive people do we know? Are there any that are a mix of his mom and dad?

Lirin is passive? He is a surgeon, that is literally in non-stop action, when someone is hurt.

3 minutes ago, Ookla the Variable said:

It is psychologically probable that you will end up with someone like your parent 

That's where I was aiming with the Lyn angle.  But let's go off the deep end with this.

Is Shallan like Evi, or is Adolin like Shallan's dad?

3 hours ago, Korbin said:

So we now know that Shallidan isn't going to happen. (Which really brightens my day)

So not to rain on any parade. But considering the relationships in this book with Dalinar marrying his dead brothers wife, Sabariel and Palona not being married, and a gay romance I dont think Divorce is out of the question. Not saying that is my prediction or that is what I want (it isn't), But Shallan is crazy and Brandon does like to have a full collection of situations it seems.

6 minutes ago, Ookla the Variable said:

Yeah, that sounds like Freud. It would probably be very subconcious though.

4 minutes ago, Stark said:

Is Shallan like Evi, or is Adolin like Shallan's dad?

I don't think "psychologically probable" should be taken as a definitive rule in all situations.

7 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

I don't think "psychologically probable" should be taken as a definitive rule in all situations.

It shouldn't be. Freud argued that the Oedipus complex was a part of development that must be resolved or would result in "problems" such as homosexuality...

Needless to say, it was a rather flawed theory to begin with.

Now, there is some evidence that bits of his theory are correct, but it's more of a correlation than causation thing. For example, children tend to pick up personality traits from parents by both nature and nurture. So children resemble their parents. Romantic attachments are most predictable along lines of similarity. So if the children take the traits from their parents, and then look for people with similar traits to themselves, it is inevitable that their romantic interests will be in many respects similar to their parents. That doesn't necessarily mean they picked their romantic attachments because of a similarity to a parent.

Edited by aemetha

1 minute ago, aemetha said:

It shouldn't be. Freud argued that the Oedipus complex was a part of development that must be resolved or would result in "problems" such as homosexuality...

Needless to say, it was a rather flawed theory to begin with.

Now, there is some evidence that bits of his theory are correct, but it's more of a correlation than causation thing. For example, children tend to pick up personality traits from parents by both nature and nurture. So children resemble their parents. Romantic attachments are most predictable along lines of similarity. So if the children take the traits from their parents, and then look for people with similar traits to themselves, it is inevitable that their romantic interests will be in many respects similar to their parents. That doesn't necessarily mean they picked their romantic attachments because of a similarity to a parent.

Thanks for this information. I agree with your sentiment about Freud as well. I have done a little bit of psychology, and his ideas doesn't really resonate with me at all. 

4 minutes ago, MonsterMetroid said:

yeah its got to be Laral because even as a floating near demigod she is all like "you stabbed my floor" :)

I think that would be interesting. But also really cliche. Ends up marrying his childhood crush? I don't think that Kal wants a romantic relationship with Laral. But to be fair... He doesn't even know half of the people we are talking about exist...

1 hour ago, Korbin said:

I thought that to at first but I have several problems with it. First off. KALIDAN WOULD BE KING! And he would hate that so much. Kalidan hates lighteyes as it is and would never let himself be king. Jasnah is also WAY older than him.

I don’t think this is much of an issue anymore. He has made a lot of progress in Oathbringer. He became friends with a lighteyed prince, had a crush on a lighteyed girl, and grieved the loss of a squad of lighteyed guards when they died. And he is a part-time lighteyes himself and doesn’t flinch when someone calls him Brightlord. I do agree he probably wouldn’t want to be King of Alethkar, considering he was freaked out about having land with 6 or 7 small villages.

25 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

A relationship built on "you remind me of my mom" would be incredibly creepy though...

So is this better or worse than "you remind me of my brother?" :D

As for the topic at hand, we’re still 3 books out of 10 so there is plenty of time to introduce new side characters. Assuming there is a one year gap between books 3 and 4, both sides will likely use that time to build up their ranks. This means lots of new radiants could be introduced in the next book. I could see Kaladin with another radiant that he can work with, one that is more battle-oriented than scholar-oriented, so they can go out and help people. Ideally this person would not be a damsel in distress that needs protecting, so she can defend herself and he wouldn’t be constantly worried about her safety.

Looking at the existing characters… I’m not feeling most of them. Jasnah would be the closest, but she does fine on her own without a partner, which is one of things I love about her. Ash is an interesting thought I hadn’t considered that before. Talk about a big age difference, though. Rysn, Lyn, Mae Aladar, Azure, Tarah, I'm not seeing any of those for various reasons.

Laral... she seemed pretty strong in the Hearthstone chapter in OB, so it's not a terrible idea. She may even be a radiant candidate with all she's ben through. I may be open to her, but right now I like the new character idea better.

I have long wanted Kaladin to end up with Syl somehow. But if that does not happen this is going to sound cruel I would  like to see Kalaldin to  fall in love and then his lover dies I know it sounds bad and cruel but it's good to have characters in pain it makes for a more intense and interesting story in my opinion.  I could see Kaledon end up with I think her name was Lyn he offered her a spot in Bridge for as a  Scribe and she said oh storm it she rather stay a scout. I instantly thought of her as the actress that plays Debra Morgan on Dexter. 

250.jpg

4 minutes ago, Starla said:

As for the topic at hand, we’re still 3 books out of 10 so there is plenty of time to introduce new side characters.

I agree completely. I am not huge on any of the current ships. I am personally hoping that we meet someone new or get into a character we don't know that well.

There is a section in Chapter 121, when Kaladin sees Adolin and Shallon snogging, and he tells Syl that he feels...agreement. Then he admits to Syl that he doesn't think he loves Shallon, but that he felt a lightening, blah, blah. But then the very next thing he says, and then doesn't say, really struck me. He says to Syl, "Besides, she reminds me of someone." Syl replies "Who?" but instead of answering her, Kaladin shows her a rock that Syl innocently admires, much as windspren might.

I just immediately thought, He loves her. That way.

I know, I know, Syl's always acted more like his mother, she's his spren, she's his friggin Shardblade, Nahel Bond, can't be romantic; I've been shot down on this theory before. But, I can't give it up. This little exchange just seems so foreshadowing. And don't forget that Kaladin and Syl spent bonding time (whoops, no pun intended) while Syl was full size and even lightweaved as a human. All that also seems very foreshadowing and set-upish.

So, that's my theory. Kaladin is not going to find the perfect woman because Syl is the perfect woman for him. I'm not saying that it will be a romantic relationship; it might be something different. I guess I'll need to RAFO where Brandon goes with this. However, if you think about Kaladin and Syl's relationship, one of the main arcs to the story is Syl's developing humanity because of her bond with Kaladin. How human will she become? That human? Again, I know it's a RAFO but I do believe Brandon is going to go there.

Regarding Syladin:

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

Is there even the babiest tiniest little bitty babiest chance of Syl and Kaladin ever being able to be together?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

That would take a lot.

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

But itty bitty babiest chance?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

Itty bitty babiest chance? Sure.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/171-oathbringer-release-party/#e8267

Sorry for being a buzzkill.

2 minutes ago, Brightlord Brooding Eyes said:

Kaladin shows her a rock that Syl innocently admires, much as windspren might.

I took that a much different way. Tien used to brighten up his day by showing him a rock. I took this as him saying. "She is a great friend but I want her to stay that way"

3 minutes ago, Korbin said:

I took that a much different way. Tien used to brighten up his day by showing him a rock. I took this as him saying. "She is a great friend but I want her to stay that way"

Same way I took that that he was thinking of Tien which fits with the rock. 

Ok for some reason the Syl and Kaladin romantic thing completely creeps me out. I'm guessing because she was introduced almost as childlike. I know she is REALLY old in actuality but it still creeps me out. 

Edited by StormingTexan

Just now, StormingTexan said:

I know she is REALLY old in actuality but it still creeps me out. 

She is young in the mind because she spent four millennia napping so... Not that old mentally. And from a species that doesn't really age I don't think physical age is that big of a deal.

2 minutes ago, Korbin said:

She is young in the mind because she spent four millennia napping so... Not that old mentally. And from a species that doesn't really age I don't think physical age is that big of a deal.

I thought her current mental age was because of her being in the PR and regaining her sapience slowly. Also just a point of correction 4 millennia would be the breaking of the oathpact so it is probably close to 2 millennia after the recreance not that there is a huge difference between 2 and 4 millennia.