[OB] Kaladin's Ideal Woman

Korbin

So we now know that Shallidan isn't going to happen. (Which really brightens my day) but we don't know who he will be with. There are a lot of theories going around but I don't really feel like any of them will happen. What I'm hoping is that in the future books a new character is introduced that Kalidan will be romantically interested in. I'm curious what type of person you guys think Kalidan needs/wants.

I am of the opinion that Kalidan needs someone who is happy. And someone who can make him happy. One of Kalidan's biggest short comings is that he is really hard on himself and constantly down. He always does best when he has someone to keep his spirits up like Tien did. I also think it would be great if she knew how to fight. I can't picture Kalidan marrying someone who didn't know their way around a spear. I don't think she needs to be a Knight Radiant though. That is just my opinion though.

Edited by Korbin

Honestly, someone like Syl. Caring, honest, understanding, not a pushover, and someone who doesn't let Kaladin get inside his own head.

I'm OK with Brandon waiting for a book or two before introducing a love interest for Kaladin. I love Syl and Kaladin's relationship and I don't want someone to interrupt it right now.

I'm okay with waiting forever for a love interest for Kaladin. I really hate the idea that people have to have a romantic interest in order to be happy. People don't make other people happy. They give them something else to care about, but happiness is more about having needs met and being self-actualised. Social interaction is important in that, but that social interaction needn't be romantic.

I don't want to see all of the characters in the book paired up with people simply because of some contrived belief that they can only ever be happy if they find "the one" (which in real life usually turns out to be someone living two streets over and is only the one when they are doing something their partner likes). There isn't any other character on the scene at this time, except Syl, who would be a good match to Kaladin romantically, and if one is introduced solely to address that absence, that's going to be so sickeningly deus ex machina to me I think I would actually vomit.

Basically, Kaladin has a lot of meaningful social relationships. He has Syl for companionship and emotional support. He has bridge 4 for camaraderie. He has Shallan and Dalinar and the other radiants for a circle of peers. Romance is a nice snack for him, but he's already eating breakfast, lunch and dinner, so he doesn't need it. 

1 minute ago, aemetha said:

Romance is a nice snack for him, but he's already eating breakfast, lunch and dinner, so he doesn't need it. 

I would have to disagree. I think that he does need romance. Maybe not to make him happy. But it would sure help. Syl really wants Kalidan to have something. She really encourages him to do something with Shallan multiple times in the book.

3 minutes ago, aemetha said:

and if one is introduced solely to address that absence, that's going to be so sickeningly deus ex machina to me I think I would actually vomit.

Yes I do agree with this though! I'm hate it when characters are part of the story line solely for romance. But I do think that Kalidan will have a romance.

1 minute ago, Calyx said:

Jasnah actually comes to mind, though I doubt (and don't think) that will be a thing. 

I thought that to at first but I have several problems with it. First off. KALIDAN WOULD BE KING! And he would hate that so much. Kalidan hates lighteyes as it is and would never let himself be king. Jasnah is also WAY older than him.

1 minute ago, Korbin said:

I thought that to at first but I have several problems with it. First off. KALIDAN WOULD BE KING! And he would hate that so much. Kalidan hates lighteyes as it is and would never let himself be king. Jasnah is also WAY older than him.

Haha yes, Kaladin doesn't deserve that additional internal conflict. 

Though Jasnah is what, about 10 years older than Shallan/Kaladin (and also still super beautiful)? Age difference is probably a less big deal than Kaladin's aversion to the position and Jasnah being way too pragmatic to consider a relationship like that.

Anytime Jasnah's romantic interests come up there is speculation that she is asexual or homosexual. There isn't much evidence for it, but there isn't really any evidence for her being open to a heterosexual relationship, so I don't think it's implausible. If she is either asexual or homosexual that would certainly kill off any chance at a ship with Kaladin.

I tend to believe (unless shown otherwise) that Jasnah is asexual. I could see her marrying for convenience, and producing an heir and a spare as a purely practical exercise. Romantic it would not be though. "Are you finished? Right, get out. I have work to do."

5 minutes ago, Calyx said:

I imagine it would be someone strong who disagrees with him very often, at least at first. 

Jasnah actually comes to mind, though I doubt (and don't think) that will be a thing. 

I would be totally for this if it wasn't for the below.

3 minutes ago, Korbin said:

I think Kal and Jasnah have that opposites attract thing going on. I don't so much mind the lighteyes thing, I think it would be good for Kal to fall for a lighteyes to force him to get over his issues with them, but the age thing is a bit of an issue.

Other than Jasnah, I don't see anyone that fits with him right now.

2 minutes ago, SLNC said:

I don't think Jasnah is interested in a romantic relationship atm, but you never know.

I would personally rather not have Jasnah be in a romantic relationship. It just doesn't fit HER. But I do think that she would marry to make an alliance... But that still isn't romantic.

2 hours ago, Korbin said:

I am of the opinion that Kalidan needs someone who is happy.

So... Second arc Liftadin?  When she is older?  Or go down the dour route, Ashadin?  I can see it:

"I'm so sad, I couldn't save a random NPC from dying because of their own poor decisions and war and stuff." 

"That's nothing Kal, I left a good friend of mine to be tortured endlessly for four and a half thousand years, and he won't be mad at me."

"Damnit Ash, you always bring that up, why won't you let me be properly dour."

"Because, for one, context.  Nothing you've done, or failed to do, is worse than that.  For two, Syl won't leave me alone until you sstart smiling again.  She's persistent."

Realistically, Ash-Kaladin won't be a thing, there seems to be more likely some history between her and Taln.  Lift-Kaladin is just ridiculous, but enough so to be entertaining.  Realistically, Kaladin needs not someone who is happy, but someone who is capable of happiness, and pointing out when he is being stupid, or has his head buried in his own backside.  Seeing as Navani is already taken, the scout Lyn, once she becomes more confident, more Radiant, seems like just the person to call him on his BS, and challenge his perceptions.

So I'm hoping for an eventual Lynadin.

Edited by Stark

• Pagerunner changed the title to [OB] Kalidan's Ideal Woman
9 minutes ago, SLNC said:

I don't think Jasnah is interested in a romantic relationship atm, but you never know.

I agree, and additionally I don't think Jasnah/Kaladin will happen - and I don't want it to. 

But of the currently present and available characters, Jasnah might be the only one who would be on equal (or, knowing Jasnah, superior) footing with Kaladin. And it would be amusing to watch Kaladin learn that she doesn't need his protection at all. I can't really see what Jasnah would get out of the relationship, though.

As an aside to this, Lyn seemed to be featured fairly prominently in several of the bridge 4 scenes. 

1 minute ago, Stark said:

So I'm hoping for an eventual Lynadin.

I also thought Lynadin was cool to! I am totally rooting for it. But two things are getting in the way for me. 1. She is kind of in a romantic relationship with Scar. (At least its been hinted at) And 2 Lyn is based off someone Sanderson knows. So that would be kind of awkward.

But I had that same thought and I still want it to happen. I just don't think it will.

@Stark you just beat me to the punch I was going to say Lyn. Ash is interesting as well but I think they are two like each other to work. Ash seems to be traumatized for letting the people of Roshar (or at least Taln) down by abandoning them. At leas that is my take on the whole destroying likenesses of her self because she doesn't feel like she should be worshipped.  

6 minutes ago, Stark said:

So... Second arc Liftadin?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Lift has no intention of ever being old enough for a relationship with Kaladin, and is prepared to go to some pretty extreme lengths to achieve that.

Additionally, she is spoken for by The Lopen, though there is some doubt over that relationship now after his extremely insensitive "Journey before pancakes" comment.

Regarding Lyn - Why? She has demonstrated absolutely nothing that Kaladin needs or wants. I don't really have a problem with her being developed there, if it's done properly, but right now the only justification for that particular ship is that he's a boy, she's a girl and they know each other. She has no background whatsoever yet.

2 minutes ago, Not a Voidbringer said:

We are seeing more and more cross-Cosmere interactions.  What about one of the Worldhoppers?

That would be really interesting! I'm not an expert on World Hoppers. Do we know any? I know we see some in Secret Histories but I can't remember any others.

4 minutes ago, aemetha said:

Regarding Lyn - Why? She has demonstrated absolutely nothing that Kaladin needs or wants. I don't really have a problem with her being developed there, if it's done properly, but right now the only justification for that particular ship is that he's a boy, she's a girl and they know each other. She has no background whatsoever yet.

As you say, the only tenuous link here is that Kaldin is Man, Lyn is Woman, and they know each other.  This is a very good reason for it to not happen, and thankfully, Sanderson has yet to give us a forced, shoe-horned in romance for the sake of romance.  It is possible that Kaladin will exist in the stormlight dedicated to his friends, not a romance arc.

That said, Lyn has challenged his views on gender dynamics by refusing to join Bridge four unless she can try for Radiance.  Kaladin needs someone in his life who challenges his perceptions, first as a friend.  There are many in Bridge four who fit that bill, but Lyn is the first woman in Bridge Four to do so, which is good.  I really hope they become friends and she calls him on his crap.  If it naturally becomes more, so be it.  Shipping is not big on my list of things to read.  I want Kaladin to have friends who don't hero worship him, and who call him out for being stupid.

But, the other woman in Kaladin's life who challenged hi to think more, not less, was Hesina.  If he starts thinking in terms of how Lyn's personality reminds him of how strong a woman his own mother was, I will begin to worry.

And fully agree.  Liftadin is too ridiculous.  But no one had said it, so I just had to have fun.  That said, headboard commentary from Wyndle and Syl?  

5 minutes ago, Stark said:

But, the other woman in Kaladin's life who challenged hi to think more, not less, was Hesina.  If he starts thinking in terms of how Lyn's personality reminds him of how strong a woman his own mother was, I will begin to worry.

That is an intersting point. Something here that kind of supports syladin (Not that I'm shipping it) Is the only person I can remember him comparing to his mom is Syl... Could that mean something?

1 minute ago, Stark said:

That said, headboard commentary from Wyndle and Syl?

Spoiler

"Lift, are you coming to bed?" asked Kaladin.

Lift poked her head up from the desk drawer she had been rummaging through. "Hold on, I'm pretty sure I left a pancake in here somewhere. Someone is stealing my pancakes! You know... that's really rude? I mean, come on, who steals pancakes?"

"Mistress, I think..." began Wyndle.

"Stow it voidbringer!" barked Lift.

"I think she's right Kaldin" said Syl as she leaned toward Wyndle cautiously poking him with a tiny outstretched finger "He does look kinda voidbringery. Doesn't look very tough though, maybe he's the voidbringer the other voidbringers pick on when they haven't got anything better to do?"

Just now, Korbin said:

That is an intersting point. Something here that kind of supports syladin (Not that I'm shipping it) Is the only person I can remember him comparing to his mom is Syl... Could that mean something?

A relationship built on "you remind me of my mom" would be incredibly creepy though...