Mid-Range Game 26: Sands of Lossand

Jondesu

Koralis fumed in his study, filled with treasures he'd taken from men who thought they were better than he. Arlin had been found by the Trackts, murdered before he could carry out the work assigned to him.  The merchant must have hired a bodyguard, a mercenary, but who would dare work against Koralis?  This was not going to be allowed to continue.

"Bring me the hands of the man foolish enough to take a knife to my best assassin. Give the rest of him to the sands."

The Game has started. The first cycle will be ending tomorrow evening, and the following day cycle will last until the day after Christmas to allow people time for their holiday activities.

PMs will be going out soon, please PM myself and Lopen if you haven't gotten one within an hour.

This first night cycle is for discussion and planning, and remember, PMs are open, just remember to include the GMs!

Player List:

Spoiler
  1. Roadwalker as Silver Feather
  2. Steeldancer as Steel
  3. Kynedath as Schrito
  4. Ookla the Haphazard as Erdon
  5. Randuir as Talzeen
  6. Straw as Gliht Bkackn
  7. A Joe In The Bush as Jesenesh Stormwind
  8. Ornstein as Pizanca
  9. Walin as Rennid
  10. Alvron as Ra
  11. Droughtbringer as themself
  12. Darkness_ as Grevilar S'nathar
  13. Arinian as Apophis
  14. A Budgie as Chocolarzin
  15. livinglegend as TBD
  16. Megasif as Vatch Aut

ora_1514066400.png

EDIT: The Mods may post this as well, but please do not change your username once the game has begun.  There have been two name changes since the player list was created, and I have adjusted for those, but please keep your usernames the same from now on, or preface each post with the name you had at the start of the game.

Edited by Jondesu

• Alvron locked this topic

I am gong to states my intentions and strategies on here now because I think that would be a good use of our time.

I dislike day 1 lynching. I understand that it is necessary to gather information right off the bat, but I have always found it unfair to lynch someone just so that you can gather info. I can gather the same info just sitting back and watching. I don't intend to try to convince anyone not to vote on day 1, but I don't want to personally. I have never like day 1 lynches so this is not abnormal behavior.

I also don't use PMs very often, so if anyone has any advice for that, then please enlighten me. Otherwise I will steer clear of initiating PMs. That being said, please feel free to PM me, I will gladly participate in any PM you send my way.

This is a pretty standard game, so I think that 4 elims is a good estimation?  Assuming that we kill 2 people per cycle, we have a max of 8 total turns, less with the guns circulating around.

The more discussion at this point the better. This is a planning stage after all. Then again, that's fairly obvious considering that discussion is always a good thing in these games.

Those are the thoughts that I have time to type out at this point.

Okay, so let's talk some tactics.

First of all, the rules around the tie means that it's not possible to do a no-lynch cycle, as that'll just result in someone randomly getting killed. The last MR and QF have also proven quite conclusively that it is very possible to take down an elim C1, so I'd prefer if everyone gets involved in the lynch discussion C1, even if you decide not to vote in the end.

Now, let's take a look at the roles:

Snoop: This is to all intents and purposes an alignment scanner. All elims count as having submitted an action against the kill-target, so if you scan someone submitting an action against whoever gets elim-killed you've probably caught an elim. A second scan would confirm that it wasn't someone with another role. I do really recommend taking that second scan though, as a false accusation won't just result in your own lynch, but also means the village has lost either the arms dealer or another snoop because of it.

Bodyguard: Your task is to guard bodies. Do so. If there are no people you think need to be kept alive, guard yourself. Obvious stuff, really.

Arms dealer: Be careful who you give guns to. You probably only have a couple to give out, so there's no need to give one each cycle.

Gun owner: There's a couple of ways in which guns can be used. The first way is to skip over a fore-gone conclusion lynch. For example, if someone has been outed by a Snoop then a quick shot can allow that lynch to be skipped, essentially saving us from a cycle with relatively little fruitful discussion. The other thing is to hold on to your gun until the very end. If the elims have managed to remain unseen until the final stages of the game then the chances are reasonably large that they might reveal who they are when they think there's nothing the village can do to stop them anymore. a couple of bullets kept in reserve can really swing things around in that situation.

I'd be careful with using guns for purely personal suspicions. Trying to get someone lynched will give far more info than just shooting someone would, no matter whether the person getting shot is village or elim.

@Jondesu Will the black sands also win by outnumbering if the village still has guns?

Edited by randuir

Just now, A Budgie said:

I agree that we shouldn't lynch yet unless we have a good, solid reason- we don't have many players so we should probably be careful.
Sorry, got ninja'd.
@randuir where has it been said that no lynch will result in a random kill? Or am I misreading and you just mean the normal elim kill?

Jondesu clarified that outside of the main post:

Day 1

Koralis stepped out into the sunshine, squinting only slightly against the bright light. Some crime lords preferred to stay in their dens, protected by bodyguards and doors, practically imprisoned out of fear. Not Koralis. The trackts in Laesire knew his face and feared it. He walked freely among them, secure in his power.

Yet now there was a growing worry in his mind. The note that had finally reached him was ominous, and while he felt sure he could deal with this new threat, any upheaval created opportunities for opposition. If any of his lieutenants decided they wanted to take his place, waiting until he’d made a mistake would be an easy time to step up and try it.

Koralis would simply have to not make any mistakes.

He glanced up at the position of the sun. Its wobbling in the sky, slightly shifted now towards the merchants quarter, told him it was about mid morning. There was little difference in light or temperature, of course, but every Daysider knew how to keep track. Sleep and work were constants in every man’s life, and scheduling them seemed as natural as the unending sunlight.

Time to hunt.

Every member of his crew had been given the same task: find any member of this “Black Sands” and bring them to Koralis. He would accept just the hands if needed, but a live subject to interrogate was of great value. No one wanted to disappoint Koralis.

This cycle will be extended to take us past Christmas, running until 5PM EST 8PM EST Dec 26 (thanks, Devotary of Spontaneity!). I’m on mobile but I’ll edit in the player list and the countdown later.

Player List:

Spoiler
  1. Roadwalker as Silver Feather
  2. Steeldancer as Steel
  3. Kynedath as Schrito
  4. Devotary of Spontaneity as Erdon
  5. Randuir as Talzeen
  6. Straw as Gliht Bkackn
  7. A Joe In The Bush as Jesenesh Stormwind
  8. Ornstein as Pizanca
  9. Walin as Rennid
  10. Alvron as Ra
  11. Droughtbringer as themself
  12. Darkness_ as Grevilar S'nathar
  13. Arinian as Apophis
  14. A Budgie as Chocolarzin
  15. livinglegend as Kharaght
  16. Megasif as Vatch Aut

ora_1514336400.png

Edited by Jondesu
Incorrect time

I haven't read through the backlog, so I don't know who I'll vote for yet. Probably nobody.

Suffice it to say that I think this is definitely going to get exciting, though with lots of inactivity. Roleplay below:

Rennid walked over to the food market. He was feeling hungry, and this talk of a challenger to Koralis was making him uneasy. It would be a good idea to stockpile in case assassins started attacking the merchants. Necessities would be first, because of how important they were--and to show how important the assassins' employer was. Whether it be Koralis or the Black Sands, any unrest would start with attacks on the markets. Of course, he could be wrong, and it would just be threats and thievery. Or killing of higher-ups. But Rennid had a hunch, and no matter how often they failed him, he held onto those hunches.

Because when they were right, the avoided disaster was always death.

So Rennid started buying some crates of food.

Alright, so there doesn't seem to be much happening.

Mm, I'm with @Kynedath and am against a D1 lynching unless someone brings forward something conclusive.

I don't have much to say.

5 hours ago, Alvron said:

Apophis.  He is the personification of all that is evil.  We must stop him before he devours me again this coming night or all is lost.  :) 

I love the way you worded the last sentence as Apophis normally devours the sun.

Devouring the sun at night.

Are you the sun?

*strokes chin deep in thought

21 minutes ago, Darkness_ said:

I love the way you worded the last sentence as Apophis normally devours the sun.

Devouring the sun at night.

Are you the sun?

*strokes chin deep in thought

I am called Ra for a reason. uoxnZkedfoQ0yvgl46nRjml6z24D95AtH-34k1BN0ENpWkG4r3l6wDR85AgGtS5oCSheJKdylzC-oBRU-jxKsaLDS4_PgfNF6PnhmDG4Br58QWJ5yvE8-HhcZTkjCMshlcqYD5_j

1 hour ago, Darkness_ said:

Alright, so there doesn't seem to be much happening.

Mm, I'm with @Kynedath and am against a D1 lynching unless someone brings forward something conclusive.

Did you read Jondesu's rule-clarification I linked last night? If no one is chosen for the lynch, someone is randomly picked.

3 hours ago, Alvron said:

I am called Ra for a reason. uoxnZkedfoQ0yvgl46nRjml6z24D95AtH-34k1BN0ENpWkG4r3l6wDR85AgGtS5oCSheJKdylzC-oBRU-jxKsaLDS4_PgfNF6PnhmDG4Br58QWJ5yvE8-HhcZTkjCMshlcqYD5_j

Ra-son.

2 hours ago, randuir said:

Did you read Jondesu's rule-clarification I linked last night? If no one is chosen for the lynch, someone is randomly picked.

Ah...well then, something conclusive and not a random lynch please.

In that case just leaving the lynch and having someone randomly picked is almost the same thing >.>

I never said that I was completely against D1 lynching, just that I don't want to participate in it personally. You guys go ahead and figure something out, I'll just kinda watch from the sidelines. I realize that it is very valuable and that it is important to get information early, but I don't want to be a part of killing someone right out of the gate.

1 hour ago, Kynedath said:

I never said that I was completely against D1 lynching, just that I don't want to participate in it personally. You guys go ahead and figure something out, I'll just kinda watch from the sidelines. I realize that it is very valuable and that it is important to get information early, but I don't want to be a part of killing someone right out of the gate.

Might I ask why that is? I can understand some hesitance here as I'm usually quite bad with using killing roles as a villager as I tend to second-guess myself way too much (so no guns for me, please). However, the lynch isn't something you're doing on your own, so any contributions to the process will only help to counterbalance everyone else's mistakes and biases.

The reason I'm calling you out in this is because what you're saying here seems to come down to 'You guys should definitely lynch someone, but I do not want to be involved or be held responsible in any way', which seems a bit suspicious to me. 

Yeah, I get that, it is suspicious behavior. The thing is, I have been killed on day one before and I hated it. I was excited for the game but I couldn't play it because people wanted to collect information day one. I don't like making people feel that way. Even in games where I was an eliminator I hated being forced to kill someone. I have tried to convince the others not to kill someone, but not only were they not convinced, they also had very good arguments as to why they should have a D1 lynch. I understand their position, but I very much dislike the thought of killing someone right off the bat because you have no information yet. I kind of just don't want to hurt anybody's feelings I guess.

You can look back into other games I've played and I have never wanted to be a part of D1 killings, so this isn't me just advocating for a death that I'm not a part of, it's a trend of me not wanting to kill people on the first day.