Mid-Range Game 26: Sands of Lossand

Jondesu

Just now, Ornstein said:

Why.

Cause one of you, livinglegend or Roadwalker is most probably elim. Roadwalker inactive most of the time if he was elim I think he would have been more active+gut read, so right now I leaning that livinglegend is most probable elim or you.

Just now, Arinian said:

Cause one of you, livinglegend or Roadwalker is most probably elim. Roadwalker inactive most of the time if he was elim I think he would have been more active+gut read, so right now I leaning that livinglegend is most probable elim or you.

Fine.

I have a gun and i am shooting livinglegend

2 hours ago, Ornstein said:

Fine.

I have a gun and i am shooting livinglegend

29 minutes ago, Jondesu said:

Ornstein’s gun is confirmed.

livinglegend is dead! They were a Black Sands Thief!

Guys!!! @Steeldancer, @Droughtbringer, @Alvron. We probably should find another target for lynch!!!

Edit. Okay now Devotary for me is 100% confirmed villager and so his scans(cause 1)In fact Devotary's scan was the reason why Rand was lynched, 2)Devotary was first who voted on livinglegend(on cycle when there was tie between Straw and livinglegend).

Also Steeldancer was very willing to vote for both Livinglegend and Rand so I can add him to list of villagers.

A tie? It's time. I frankly am not feeling anyone suspicious more than the other, and so I'm pulling out the friendly RNG. 

living legend

(that Steeldancer's vote when he breaks tie between Legend and Straw)

And I'm surely and undoubtebly villager :D

So we have 2 last possible elims Ornstein and Roadwalker... Ornstein just killed elim(of course it can be some kind of superoverthinky move, but no... just no... paranoia not today) sooo Roadwalker is last elim... should be. Ornstein. Roadwalker.

Edited by Arinian

24 minutes ago, Alvron said:

Nice one Ornstein.  Guess we should lynch Roadwalker next then.

Also, I have a gun and I am shooting Steeldancer.

Why not Roadwalker???? You... you.. just Alv... ahh... who cares.

Edited.

21 minutes ago, Steeldancer said:

Dang it alv 

Also you shouldn't post after shot until GM's confirmation, don't break rules :rolleyes:.

Edit. Honestly I not gonna be amazed if Alv will die, cause who in their mind will give gun to Alv.

Edited by Arinian

39 minutes ago, Arinian said:

So we have 2 last possible elims Ornstein and Roadwalker... Ornstein just killed elim(of course it can be some kind of superoverthinky move, but no... just no... paranoia not today) sooo Roadwalker is last elim... should be. Ornstein. Roadwalker.

Hmmph.

25 minutes ago, Alvron said:

Nice one Ornstein.  Guess we should lynch Roadwalker next then.

Also, I have a gun and I am shooting Steeldancer.

Ugh.

This always happens. Ah... No way to defend myself here. If you guys are really committed to lynching me, and I get a bunch more votes, I will kill myself so that you have a lynch to spend on the last elim?s.

Ihsan walked the streets of Laesire for the first time.  He'd been assured by his spies and assassins that they had things well in hand, but he still went masked, cautious in his arrogance. He noted the stalls of the street vendors, the brothels, the beggars, and every other assortment of criminal and legitimate enterprise the city had to offer, and smiled behind his mask as he considered it all his. This was truly a city ripe for the taking.

In the Kor's den, the mood was far from happy.  Tempers were flaring, voices rising, and Koralis himself seemed to have disappeared.

In the heat of it all, a gun suddenly sounded, loud and foreign.  Guns weren't unknown among the Kor's, but they certainly weren't used to hearing them fired either. They all turned in shock as Kharaght, the beggar whose name had been a mystery to so many, fell to the ground, his eyes forever open in shock.  A hush fell over the crowd.

Pizanca shrugged. "He had it coming. I mean, a guy who doesn't even tell his friends his name?  No friend of mine."

Ra cocked his head at the strange comment, then shrugged, pulled his own gun, and shot Steel through the chest.  The two bodies lay sprawled on the sand, blood darkening and matting around them.

It was at this moment that Ihsan had chosen to step around the corner, hoping to be able to reveal himself and take down Koralis in a showy fashion, the way he'd always trained his Black Sands to work.

Instead, he found the two remaining assassins he'd sent into the city laying lifeless in front of him.  He gaped for a moment, then turned to go, hoping he'd gone unnoticed.

He ran into a wall, instead.

A wall of a man named Koralis.

A strong hand pulled the black mask off of Ihsan's face, exposing for the first time the identity of the stranger who had so nearly torn apart Koralis' empire. Koralis had been expecting to see the face of his brother all along, but he was still shocked.

Because this wasn't his brother.

This wasn't…anyone he knew.

"Who are you?" he roared?

Ihsan's bravado had all disappeared at this point, and he simply stared at the big man, agog. 

Rather than repeat his question, Koralis sighed and pulled his dagger from his belt.  Ihsan sank to his knees, handless, in less than a second, as Koralis' powerful sweep cut through his wrists.

"Kor's, you know what to do."

Black Sands indeed.  Only the sands would know whose body darkened them that day.  Ihsan, Master of the Black Sands, was gone, unnoticed by most, along with his assassins.  Koralis' empire may have been shaken, but his reputation was now even more firmly cemented.  None would dare cross him again.

The game has ended! The Kor's have won! All members of the Black Sands have been killed.

Full Player List:

Spoiler
  1. Roadwalker as Silver Feather Kor Thief
  2. Steeldancer as Steel Black Sands Thief
  3. Kynedath as Schrito  Kor Thief
  4. Devotary of Spontaneity as Erdon Kor Snoop
  5. Randuir as Talzeen Black Sands Thief
  6. Straw as Gliht Bkackn Kor Thief
  7. A Joe In The Bush as Jesenesh Stormwind Kor Thief
  8. Ornstein as Pizanca Kor Thief
  9. Walin as Rennid Black Market Arms Dealer
  10. Alvron as Ra Kor Thief
  11. Droughtbringer as themself Kor Thief
  12. Darkness_ as Grevilar S'nathar Kor Thief
  13. Arinian as Apophis Kor Bodyguard
  14. A Budgie as Chocolarzin Kor Thief
  15. livinglegend as Kharaght Black Sands Thief
  16. Megasif as Vatch Aut Kor Thief

Thanks, everyone!  I don't know if I'll put up more thoughts than this or just let it sit, but honestly, I thought this game was very fun, and it worked out pretty well, with a mid-game modification (I wish I'd simply planned for this, but I didn't think it through). Most players stayed active, so thank you for that, and it looked to me like everyone enjoyed themselves, at least maybe up until the very end when some conniving began to happen openly.

The one thing I was to put out into the open now is that the guns were originally going to just disappear with the death of the Black Market Arms Dealer, but I was so sad to see them taken out of the game before they could be used (Darkness had received the first gun, and died the same cycle, and no others had been handed out when Walin was killed), that I made a decision to offer up a prayer unto the Gods of RNG and see what happened.  Since a gun had gone out night 1, and not night 2, on night 3, I gave one to a randomly selected player, saying they'd found it, slightly singed.  That was Ornstein's gun, and then I did the same thing Night 5, when Alvron won the dice toss.  Had either of the remaining Elims gotten a gun, of course, things could have gone very differently, and I would have been fascinated to watch that as well, but I am honestly shocked it went down the way it did on that last day.  I didn't think livinglegend and Steeldancer had revealed themselves that openly, and in fact, I thought Steel had gained a fair amount of trust.  Alv, I'd love to know if you were sure about Steel or if it was mostly just chance or instinct.

Anyways, thank you everyone, and while I think there were a few hiccups, overall I felt this went well!  If you feel differently, or have any suggestions for the next time someone uses a gun mechanic, or just want to say something completely different, this is your place!  I won't be offended in the least if you tell me something was awful, since except for the articulate and intelligent write-ups, everything came from other games or sources and I just enjoyed putting it together. Congratulations, Kor's!

Oh, right, awards.  I'll have to go back through the thread and decide on those.  I think Ra and Apophis might have to share one, the nature and name of which will be revealed later. :P

EDIT:

Links to Docs:

Edited by Jondesu
Added docs

That was awesome. Will edit in some more comments, since I'm currently working on homework supposed to be working on homework.

EDIT: I didn’t know quite what to do as an Arms Dealer. In the early cycles, most people were doing really well at concealing their alignment. I decided to wait it out, but also use my favorite tactic of attention-hogging, The Stall With Information. I wasn’t super smart, doing that, as it gave me a ticking clock. I decided to do a bit of analysis and found that Darkness_, along with randuir and Alvron (if I’m actually remembering correctly), had the strongest village read and were pretty active.

Then I forgot about my analysis and gun-give except for the fact that I now had two in my stash.

This was a mistake, as I then didn’t recognize Darkness_’s death as a loss of a gun, until I saw their posts in the spec doc once I got eliminated.

Anyways, I continued my bluffing, but did it too late (right before the end of the cycle) to prevent Rennid (my character) from getting elim’ed. Rand said that he would have spared me if I had posted earlier, so that was just pure luck that got us an elim lynch.

Right before I died, I tried to send in a gun (but after the countdown ended (because I was still chronically late in posting)) to Roadwalker.

Jondesu gave the two remaining guns out by RNG because I didn’t have the good SE skills to stay alive and give them to other people before I died. Then I just watched after that; good game over all and I won’t give any analysis, because other people have already done that and I have nothing real good to add to it.

Edited by Walin
Added Edit: stuff

Ok, a couple things- darn it alv, when I said I thought I would be lynched after what I pulled in LG41, I didn't mean being shot 12 hours later!!!!

Anyway, the mechanics for this game were really cool, but I felt like the elim team was at a severe disadvantage this entire game. We were up against a large village with a scanner and a bodyguard and a person who distributed kill roles. With three people with no roles. 

I don't think it was impossible, but I feel like the call to have the action of putting in the kill reflect on the entire elim team was a mistake. At that point, there was basically no way for us to win, other than my strategy of extremely aggressive bussing. Which also didn't work. 

I don't think this game was broken, but I do think it could have been balanced better with an elim role or another elim. Other than that, this was a great game, and I'm sorry I didn't give it the attention it deserved. 

Remember when you said this in LG40?

On 11/26/2017 at 11:47 AM, Arinian said:

Lets just conclude that I don't know what to think about Aster or Phatt and not gonna do that cause my brain can explode(and I don't want to see my brain in Alv's jar)

And I replied.

On 11/26/2017 at 11:57 AM, Alvron said:

(Now that you've said that, I just got to have your brains in my jar. :P

Can you really blame me for wanting to explode your brains?  I still need another set for my jar.

On 1/10/2018 at 5:59 AM, Arinian said:

Alv. (no I don't think that he elim just... ahh... who cares)

Sounds like your brains were getting a little scrambled this game.  :) 

7 hours ago, Arinian said:

Why not Roadwalker???? You... you.. just Alv... ahh... who cares.

Edit. Honestly I not gonna be amazed if Alv will die, cause who in their mind will give gun to Alv.

Why not Road?  Because I want to break your brains for my jar.

Why the Gods of Luck and Chance that's who.

1 hour ago, Jondesu said:

Alv, I'd love to know if you were sure about Steel or if it was mostly just chance or instinct.

I got really suspicious of Steel when he encouraged the Ra vs Apophis lynch.  Devotary revealed to me during the past night that Ari was the bodyguard so while I was suspicious of a possible backstabbing guard gambit or a WGG, I figured it was more likely that they were both village.  Be thankful to Devotary Ari, if they didn't reveal your role to me, I very likely would've shot you.

Once Ornstein shot Legend and he flipped elim, I had a choice between Steel or Road, Road was inactive for the most part so killing him was a waste.  If he was an elim then he would die to the lynch.  Steel was the better target.

20 minutes ago, Steeldancer said:

Ok, a couple things- darn it alv, when I said I thought I would be lynched after what I pulled in LG41, I didn't mean being shot 12 hours later!!!!

Image result for im sorry meme

30 minutes ago, Alvron said:

Remember when you said this in LG40?

And I replied.

Can you really blame me for wanting to explode your brains?  I still need another set for my jar.

Sounds like your brains were getting a little scrambled this game.  :) 

Why not Road?  Because I want to break your brains for my jar.

Why the Gods of Luck and Chance that's who.

I got really suspicious of Steel when he encouraged the Ra vs Apophis lynch.  Devotary revealed to me during the past night that Ari was the bodyguard so while I was suspicious of a possible backstabbing guard gambit or a WGG, I figured it was more likely that they were both village.  Be thankful to Devotary Ari, if they didn't reveal your role to me, I very likely would've shot you.

Once Ornstein shot Legend and he flipped elim, I had a choice between Steel or Road, Road was inactive for the most part so killing him was a waste.  If he was an elim then he would die to the lynch.  Steel was the better target.

Image result for im sorry meme

Oh storms it's an adorable kitten. How can I resist? 

I want to say that this game was really cool and I enjoyed it, I got tonns of fun, thx Jon for running this game.

Also I was sure that Alv is villager since cycle 1 :D

I want to admit that elims really were in disadvantage and needed atleast 1 more player or 1 gun from start of game, cause bodyguard+snoop it's too strong to give to village in game with so small amount of players.

Also I want to add from myself that I suspected that Steeldancer can be elim he was giving me somewhat bad vibes, but I decided that it's not time for paranoia and better I will go with logic, cause he really willingly  bussed 2 of his teammates atleast in 1 situation where that was not very needed, everything said that he should be villager. 

Also I think that Jon's cheating with guns changed nothing cause with suicide mechanic we were able to easily catch all elims, so I propose that in next games this should be changed on something like full role block for player for 1 cycle.

I went through a lot of debate and consulted a few GMs with more experience before settling on 3 Elims. In hindsight, 4 probably would have been better, or a special role, but the existing roles either wouldn’t have helped or would have broken the game (I mean, an elim gun dealer?). I did also consider having the gun dealer be neutral with their own win con, but ended up rejecting that to keep the game simpler.

Edit: The scanner role was perhaps too powerful. I based it on roles I’ve used in real life games, and perhaps it wasn’t any more powerful, but considering how lucky Devotary was to catch an Elim right away, it certainly made a big difference.

Edited by Jondesu

1 hour ago, Jondesu said:

I went through a lot of debate and consulted a few GMs with more experience before settling on 3 Elims. In hindsight, 4 probably would have been better, or a special role, but the existing roles either wouldn’t have helped or would have broken the game (I mean, an elim gun dealer?). I did also consider having the gun dealer be neutral with their own win con, but ended up rejecting that to keep the game simpler.

Edit: The scanner role was perhaps too powerful. I based it on roles I’ve used in real life games, and perhaps it wasn’t any more powerful, but considering how lucky Devotary was to catch an Elim right away, it certainly made a big difference.

Yeah, I'm not blaming you, it is mostly in hindsight. And Devotary did play very well, props to you. 

3 minutes ago, Steeldancer said:

Yeah, I'm not blaming you, it is mostly in hindsight. And Devotary did play very well, props to you. 

Funny thing, I didn't protected Devotary on cycle when he revealed that he snoop, I'm was just busy and checked thread only on next day turn and you know my reaction was something like *Snoop's claim, scanned and not lynched elim... What the hell was happening?*

2 hours ago, Arinian said:

Funny thing, I didn't protected Devotary on cycle when he revealed that he snoop, I'm was just busy and checked thread only on next day turn and you know my reaction was something like *Snoop's claim, scanned and not lynched elim... What the hell was happening?*

Well, we where pretty much convinced that the bodyguard would be protecting him on the cycle after the claim, so the plan was to attack him the cycle after that, as we expected him to be double-checking me anyway, so leaving him alive for another cycle wouldn't hurt us much.

I really enjoyed this game. May Luck and Chance reign forever. I'm sorry I wasn't more active. I was kind of hoping the when Steel voted for me, I would die because I felt that would have cemented him as village, but even so, without those two true shots, it was going to be a close game. 

I think if the eliminators had ended up with one of those two guns it would have been much closer, so the balance seemed fine. I kind of wanted the arms dealer gone as soon as possible to prevent guns altogether. I suppose we should have tried instead to obtain the guns because if we had acquired two of them, the game was solved for the eliminator team.

Special thanks to Alvron for keeping the game so lighthearted.

Beautiful shooting village and great game Jondesu!