The secret to getting reputation

MonsterMetroid

Hey guys,

I've been here almost exactly a month and in that time I've noticed that sometimes posts I put a lot of thought into get no reputation and others that I make quick little jokes in get a decent amount. Neither one of those statements are always true, and I dont post things just hoping that someone will press a button next to something I wrote.

However I was wondering for you guys that have been here longer have you noticed a pattern of what does generate upvotes? Is it as simple as quoting stick from WoR? Does your reputation in the community make you more or less likely to get rep? What correlation have you guys seen?

I think the stick jokes have gotten pretty old by now. In my experience, you get rep for funny jokes, and thought-provoking theories. Or just comments that people agree with. When someone else expresses my opinion for me, I give them an upvote for saving me the trouble.

That being said, I think the people with crazy amounts of rep are mainly people who are very active on the shard. If upvotes are fish, you can cast a wide net by making meaningful contributions to many different conversations.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
1 hour ago, The Watcher said:

Charlotte???

Hah just a reference to the movie National Treasure. The family lore, that is passed down, is the the first clue to the Templer treasure is, "The secret lies with Charlotte." I was just being funny.

You know you're a Sanderfan when is pretty good too, and here, I gave you some to get started.

NOW FLY LITTLE BIRDIE

I don't know what goes through my head why are you asking me

Also, make friends on the Shard. Often friends will upvote each other's stuff for no reason. Or just because.

I don't know, I've only been here a few months...

Start a wildly successful RP that continues for several years with dedicated and talented RPers participating regularly in on and off-topic discussion.

Or yeah, memes also.

Simple. You post a ridiculous amount. Let me give you some numbers. I joined on February 13th of this year. I have 1058 posts. That translates to eleven posts everyday. You may also notice that I have 315 reputation. This translates to around a thirty percent post upvote rate. This isn't all that good. Only about a third of my posts are good enough to get an upvote. But I post so much that it doesn't matter. I could have three thousand posts by the end of the year and 1000 upvotes. That's a lot. In just a year. As long as I keep up the post rate and quality.

I definitely haven't thought about this way too much. *Insert ninja emoji*

Edited by Kidpen

@Kidpen Dang, and I thought I accumulated posts and rep quickly!

Very little rep:

Sanderson Elimination (except if you're GM-ing), most other RPs

Offering cookies to newcomers

Responding to theories

Introduce yourself subforum

Guilds (exception for starting a new guild or posting long or humorous RP)

Lots of rep:

Memes/jokes/puns in their respective threads

Snarky off-topic comments in serious threads

GMing in Sanderson Elimination

Theorycrafting or theory-busting

The Good Day / Bad Day threads

Step One: Get an admin to manually adjust your rep count. They can do that allegedly. (I think it happened to Voidus once). 

That's it. Works every time. 

I actually have no idea what the psychology behind people's upvoting is. I turned off the option to get notifications whenever someone upvotes me. I'm still not sure if it was the right call or not, since I have no idea what my popular posts are anymore. I do get less notifications now, but sometimes I'll log in and be greeted by a new rep title and no obvious reason why. It's flattering and confusing all at the same time. 

That said, I'm told being funny is a good strategy. Especially self-deprecating humour (I've yet to get the hang of that one) and clever pop-culture references (remember half the people on here are from Utah. So joke about BYU, hoodoos, county fairs, rectangles etc. They'll love it).

5 hours ago, Archer said:

Step One: Get an admin to manually adjust your rep count. They can do that allegedly. (I think it happened to Voidus once). 

That's it. Works every time. 

I actually have no idea what the psychology behind people's upvoting is. I turned off the option to get notifications whenever someone upvotes me. I'm still not sure if it was the right call or not, since I have no idea what my popular posts are anymore. I do get less notifications now, but sometimes I'll log in and be greeted by a new rep title and no obvious reason why. It's flattering and confusing all at the same time. 

That said, I'm told being funny is a good strategy. Especially self-deprecating humour (I've yet to get the hang of that one) and clever pop-culture references (remember half the people on here are from Utah. So joke about BYU, hoodoos, county fairs, rectangles etc. They'll love it).

I do not recommend this, last time it happened I lost 18,000 rep. :D

• Chaos locked this topic