Was Adonalsium Evil?

Jarod

Oathbringer Spoiler Warnings

So we know that the Shardholders shattered Adonalsium for a variety of reasons. One of them being that it was the only good option left to them.

We know from the first letter in Oathbringer that the Shards were meant to settle alone, and that no good could come of two being together. We also know that Odium has murdered 3 of the Shards that have violated this agreement, and intends to murder the 4th (Cultivation). Ambition could just have been Rayse's personal hatred towards her, or the Intent of her Shard being potentially dangerous.

So could Adonalsium be the true cosmere antagonist, and the Shardholders are trying to prevent him from being resurrected? Feel free to discuss below.

2 hours ago, Jarod said:

We also know that Odium has murdered 3 of the Shards that have violated this agreement, and intends to murder the 4th (Cultivation).

Disregard what I said, reading comprehension is key.

Edited by The Sovereign
dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb...

43 minutes ago, The Sovereign said:

Sorry but I'm a bit of a stickler for accuracy... Odium has Splintered 4 Shards: Dominion, Devotion, Ambition, and Honor.

He means that Odium murdered 3 of the Shards that stayed on the same planet as another Shard :-) Ambition doesn't count in that regard. 

As for the topic, welcome to the forums @Jarod! My personal belief is that Adonalsium wasn't good or bad. I think it had plans/effects that were good for some and bad for some. A morally grey character, simply. The sixteen were probably among those who didn't like what Adonalsium was doing, but I think there were others who did.

1 hour ago, Toaster Retribution said:

He means that Odium murdered 3 of the Shards that stayed on the same planet as another Shard :-) Ambition doesn't count in that regard. 

As for the topic, welcome to the forums @Jarod! My personal belief is that Adonalsium wasn't good or bad. I think it had plans/effects that were good for some and bad for some. A morally grey character, simply. The sixteen were probably among those who didn't like what Adonalsium was doing, but I think there were others who did.

Thanks for welcome man!

As for your belief that Adonalsium was morally grey, it is one I personally agree with. I just though I'd ask the question based on the actions of the Shardholders.

Spoiler

Idaho Falls signing (Dec. 29, 2016)
#4 Share

Valhalla (paraphrased)

Did Odium Splinter all the Shards for the same reason?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

No. Some Shards he Splintered because he feared the Shard itself, and some Shards he targeted because he feared the Vessel. He was working his way down his list in order of the Shards and Vessels he felt would be most dangerous to his plans until he got stuck on Roshar.

West Jordan signing (Dec. 15, 2011)
#1 Share

Questioner (paraphrased)

So Ruin and Preservation combine. When Odium slays the Shardbearers, why doesn’t he absorb the enemy Shards?

Because that would actually change the way he views the world. The Shard would actually start to influence him, and could actually ruin who he views himself as being. So instead of combining them all, his goal is to destroy them all and be the only one left at his power level.

Questioner (paraphrased)

So by his nature, he can't combine?

I mean he could, but it would change his nature. So he won't.

Odium has planned all along to kill every other shard. He wants to be the only one at his powerlevel and therefore be the strongest entity in the cosmere.

This doesn't change whether Adonalisium could be evil or not, just that the Pact of staying away from each other isn't the reason Odium kills shards. I suspect the Pact to stay apart was to prevent drama, not prevent Adonalisium's return. 

On 12/12/2017 at 10:22 AM, Not a Voidbringer said:

does this suggest that Adonalsium could have been complicit in the Shattering?

An excellent point, something a few people have noted, how do you kill an (omnipotent?) god, without his say so. Did Adonalisium allow the shattering, or even was the one behind it for some reason beyond our mortal comprehension? 

Other options being Adonalisium isn't aware/smart, or the God Beyond is a thing and capable of opping Adonalisium.

On 12/11/2017 at 3:31 PM, Toaster Retribution said:

I'm starting to see a lot of similarities between the 16 and Kelsiers crew. In Mistborn Ham asks a question about whether or not what they were doing was good, if god is the absolute morality and they are killing god.

• Chaos locked this topic