[OB] The Letter Theory

Oversleep

I like it a lot, and as much as most people take Autonomy as a given, I hate the idea of the letter author as Bavadin. 

A collective mind is anything but autonomous. Add that to the expansionist viewpoint of the author(s) and their respect for Rayse (which is see no other way to interpret as respect for his ambition) and the tests for Hoid to prove himself... Ambition fits in my mind much better. 

As I told you privately, i really like this. I was pretty firmly on the side of autonomy but you've made me rethink that. I still struggle with splinters becoming a collective mind but investiture does seek or develop sapience and those sapient pieces of investiture would be connected to each other. I did always struggle with the idea that hoid would reach out to bavadin though he may in desperation or he may have been attempting to contact one of her avatars if it is her, hoping they had an independent mind. Nicely pulled together. I'll read steelrunner's competing theory and reflect. 

1 minute ago, Ookla the Indivergable said:

As I told you privately, i really like this. I was pretty firmly on the side of autonomy but you've made me rethink that. I still struggle with splinters becoming a collective mind but investiture does seek or develop sapience and those sapient pieces of investiture would be connected to each other. I did always struggle with the idea that hoid would reach out to bavadin though he may in desperation or he may have been attempting to contact one of her avatars if it is her, hoping they had an independent mind. Nicely pulled together. I'll read steelrunner's competing theory and reflect. 

DANCER *grumps*

1 hour ago, Ookla, the Incalculable said:

A collective mind is anything but autonomous.

But we know Bavadin has many personas, no? That may not mean Bavadin's Shard acts like a hive mind, but the multiple persona part of Bavadin does seem to point towards a collective mind of some sort. 

That being said, the Ambition idea is certainly interesting. I personally feel like the Shard that's trying to survive fits the theme of a Shard being surprised that Hoid was able to find it. But as the OP said, not much we can go off of for a Shard we haven't heard of in a book before. 

Edited by Andy92

5 minutes ago, Andy92 said:

But we know Bavadin has many personas, no? That may not mean Bavadin's Shard acts like a hive mind, but the multiple persona part of Bavadin does seem to point towards a collective mind of some sort. 

Just a clarification: are you going off with these personas things based on this WoB?

Brandon Sanderson

Bavadin has several male personas, and has often appeared as male for one purpose or another, so it's not that much of an issue. She has more female personas, but some of the male ones are quite popular.

This won't be relevant for a long while, but as a service to the community, let me say this: try not to get too hung up on gender, race, or even human appearance where Bavadin is concerned. There are some peoples who worship entire pantheons where every member is actually her.

(...)

I'm going to be pretty tight-lipped for now. Let's at least let White Sand finish first--you will find her in there, though her touch on the story (directly) is light. She prefers to allow her personas to become the focus of attention.

source

Because it clearly says "has often appeared as male for one purpose or another". Which means one person, choosing how to appear, for some purpose. Donning a mask, or persona, to act.
Not splitting itself into some hivemind.

That's how I read that, anyway

1 hour ago, Steeldancer said:

But why would Ambitions splinters do this? This isn't in line with what we've seen before

I'm not sure what you mean? We don't have a lot of experience with Splintered Shards; Devotion and Dominion were stuffed into Cognitive Realm. Honor had spren which acted like a release valve. Who knows what else can happen with Splinters?

13 minutes ago, Andy92 said:

Thank you. I completely disagree, but in trying to argue my point you made me realize fully why I disagree so hard. 

Brandon Sanderson

Bavadin has several male personas, and has often appeared as male for one purpose or another, so it's not that much of an issue. She has more female personas, but some of the male ones are quite popular.

This won't be relevant for a long while, but as a service to the community, let me say this: try not to get too hung up on gender, race, or even human appearance where Bavadin is concerned. There are some peoples who worship entire pantheons where every member is actually her.

Bavadin has been known to have many different personas. Many faces through which she acts. But they're all Bavadin. Not Autonomy. Bavadin. 

If this thing is Autonomy, Bavadin is gone. This is not acting. It's not playing a role. This appears to be a true collective, in that there's no sense of self, just of us. Thats not what that WoB describes. 

The idea of Autonomy being a collective, or of Bavadin splintering their mind like Shallan, has always rubbed me the wrong way. I feel like we're still a long way from understanding Autonomy's intent (and how it's able to reconcile it with violating the autonomy of other shards by meddling with their worlds), but this still struck me as unfitting.

This theory interests me quite a bit, because now that I think of it, there's no reason Ambition (or at least splinters thereof) shouldn't have gained sentience by now. The only reason the Dor hasn't is because it's trapped in the pressure cooker known as the Cognitive Realm, keeping it as what Sanderson describes as a "hot plasma", which doesn't sound conducive to forming consciousness. Ambition, however, was left alone after it's vessel was killed, so far as we know. It totally should be developing consciousness, like Sanderson has told us uncontrolled Investiture does.

As for why it would form a collective, rather than separate consciousnesses like the spren of Honor or the seons of Devotion, perhaps it's because being in the depths of space meant there was no human thought giving them shape in the way that the Rosharans shaped the spren. Instead, the bits of Ambition each formed a consciousness, but still considered themselves to be Ambition, instead of embodying some concept. Thus, we would end up with multiple minds who all consider themselves to be extensions of the same entity.

I'm still not sure exactly how I feel about this theory, but I'm intrigued.

13 hours ago, Ookla the Indefatigable said:

They wish to be alone. They do not believe in interfering with another Shards - does it fit the meddling Autonomy? I don't think so.

This contradiction is actually noted by Khriss on-screen, and also seems to be a huge cornerstone of your theory. We have evidence that Autonomy does want to be alone from the isolationist policies set up in Taldain.

Autonomy’s policy of isolationism in recent times (in direct contrast to her interference with other planets, I might add) has prevented travel to and from Taldain for many, many years.

Arcanum Unbounded Taldain System

Why then cannot Ambition admire Odium's initiative and will to act?

For me, Odium would have to be picking up Shards to satisfy Ambitions intent enough to admire him. Granted this is far more about persona interpretation than contradiction by evidence, but to splinter power instead of taking it up for yourself seems to go against the very nature of ambition, and would, Imo, would draw disdain from an Ambition based being. 

If it was Autonomy, why an avatar is beginning to manifest? Autonomy's personas are more of a masks Bavadin dons. And the new avatar was instilled with some preference - it suggests truly another mind, part of Ambition's collective, and not just a persona Autonomy uses.

Is this bolded selection confirmed somewhere? Searching through WoB I don't see anything that really implies either way.

10 hours ago, Ookla, the Incalculable said:

If this thing is Autonomy, Bavadin is gone. This is not acting. It's not playing a role. This appears to be a true collective, in that there's no sense of self, just of us. Thats not what that WoB describes. 

I don't necessarily agree with this without understanding who or what Bavadin was before Ascension. It's quite possible that was how Bavadin acted pre-ascension as well due to be a non-human race that we haven't met yet. (Not likely, but possible.) I'm hesitant to say that Bavadin is gone without ever having seen Bavadin before. Consider this WoB

Questioner

Yeah, coz, I really, I just like kind of the idea of the Shards and stuff, and I guess I want to learn more about what they look like and, kind of their personalities and stuff.

Brandon Sanderson

Bavadin's a hard one, because what does Bavadin look like? Bavadin looks like what she feels like looking like, or what he feels like looking like, depending upon the day.

So Bavadin is able to look and appear however they want. Bear with me and make an assumption that Bavadin's personas as a part of their personality were around pre-ascension. With the nature of Shard magic, that the bull of their power resides in the spiritual realm, and is therefore never disconnected from the rest of the Shard, to me, it actually makes perfect sense that Bavadin might be interested in creating actual autonomous avatars for those personas who existed prior to Ascension. At that point, I'd argue it's inappropriate to say they aren't Bavadin because it's a hive mind, the hive mind is Bavadin by design, composition and intention. 

Moving on to a separate note, I also think this makes the most sense with Padtji and what we've seen of Autonomy's influence on Taldain. My guess for how this works is that Bavadin finds a planet that has some prominent feature that could be worshipped, like the sun on Taldain or the island of Padtji, then invests enough of theirself into it to make a splinter/Avatar in the hive mind that's fully connected to Autonomy through the spiritual realm but is allowed its own measure of independent thought and will due to a combination of Bavadin's personality from pre-ascension and that Shard's intent. Obrodai would have a relatively young Avatar. 

Finally, I think there's a part of the letter that kills the theory flat out:

You must know better than to approach us by relying upon presumption of past relationship.

What if Ambition's Splinters - maybe larger than the usual Splinters like spren or seons or skaze, but instead massive like Unmade, Nightwatcher or even Stormfather - have formed a collective mind? It would explain why the writer is speaking like a group.

If Ambition is writing the letter after having reformed sentience from the Splinters after Odium's attack, then there should be no past relationship between the newly sentient shard of Ambition and Hoid. The Shard should not be addressing Hoid as Cephandrius or reference the First Gem, as those events would pre-date awakening into sentience. It just doesn't seem to work.

Edited by Ookla the Obtuse

3 minutes ago, Ookla the Obtuse said:

This contradiction is actually noted by Khriss on-screen, and also seems to be a huge cornerstone of your theory. We have evidence that Autonomy does want to be alone from the isolationist policies set up in Taldain.

The writer of the Letter does not want to do any interference. "We need not suffer interference of another" - refers the pact that Shards formed:

It was agreed that we would not interfere with one another, and it disappoints me that so few of the Shards have kept to this original agreement.

Autonomy violates this left and right. It does not fit the writer.

6 minutes ago, Ookla the Obtuse said:

For me, Odium would have to be picking up Shards to satisfy Ambitions intent enough to admire him. Granted this is far more personal, but to splinter power instead of taking it up for yourself seems to go against the very nature of ambition, and would, Imo, would draw disdain from an Ambition based being. 

I disagree. Preservation wanted to protect people - Rashek executed them, yet Leras still admired his resistance to change. (I actually explained it in OP)

8 minutes ago, Ookla the Obtuse said:

Is this bolded selection confirmed somewhere? Searching through WoB I don't see anything that really implies either way.

Just read up a bit:

11 hours ago, Ookla the Indefatigable said:

Just a clarification: are you going off with these personas things based on this WoB?

Brandon Sanderson

(...)

I'm going to be pretty tight-lipped for now. Let's at least let White Sand finish first--you will find her in there, though her touch on the story (directly) is light. She prefers to allow her personas to become the focus of attention.

source

Because it clearly says "has often appeared as male for one purpose or another". Which means one person, choosing how to appear, for some purpose. Donning a mask, or persona, to act.
Not splitting itself into some hivemind.

That's how I read that, anyway

People are blowing up this persona thing out of proportion while there is not much to go off - even the core WoB for that actually goes against this split mind thing.

10 minutes ago, Ookla the Obtuse said:

Finally, I think there's a part of the letter that kills the theory flat out:

You must know better than to approach us by relying upon presumption of past relationship.

What if Ambition's Splinters - maybe larger than the usual Splinters like spren or seons or skaze, but instead massive like Unmade, Nightwatcher or even Stormfather - have formed a collective mind? It would explain why the writer is speaking like a group.

If Ambition is writing the letter after having reformed sentience from the Splinters after Odium's attack, then there should be no past relationship between the newly sentient shard of Ambition and Hoid. The Shard should not be addressing Hoid as Cephandrius or reference the First Gem, as those events would pre-date awakening into sentience. It just doesn't seem to work.

This is very simple - Uli Da surely would have left a Cognitive Shadow (fitting for a Vessel of Ambition to survive even beyond death) with the Shard (similarly Stormfather has merged with Honor's/Tanavast's Cognitive Shadow). Even without CS seeing past is far more simple than seeing the future (a thing a lot of Shards are at least moderately good at) - you just need to read past Connections.

18 minutes ago, Ookla the Indefatigable said:

The writer of the Letter does not want to do any interference. "We need not suffer interference of another" - refers the pact that Shards formed:

In context, by how I understand, this more directly refers to Hoid's interference contacting them than Rayse, as it precedes any mention of Rayse and follows an explanation of how they want to go on alone, presumably without forming an alliance.

As the waves of the sea must continue to surge, so must our will continue resolute. 
Alone. 

Did you expect anything else from us? We need not suffer the interference of another. 

I'm not saying you're wrong, just that I understand his suffering if interference refers to Hoid's meddling with the Shards. That quote you cited about the pact is from a separate letter, not the one in question, so There's nothing Linking the two statements.

Which fits exactly with what Khriss notes in the Arcanum Unbounded section on Taldain. Autonomy wants to meddle while being left alone. I'm a little confused because you don't seem to address the point I'm making here. Is there a way I can clarify my point better to help bridge our communication problem in this respect?

People are blowing up this persona thing out of proportion while there is not much to go off - even the core WoB for that actually goes against this split mind thing.

I've read the thread and I've read all the WoB on Autonomy and Bavadin both. I was asking if there is more information beyond what I stated in my earlier post that confirms your interpretation. Does such information exist?

If it does not, would you mind walking me through the logic that says that that WoB goes against the mind split thing? I have given my own explanation in my earlier post for how this works with the information we have, is there something from that you don't find plausible or satisfying?

This is very simple - Uli Da surely would have left a Cognitive Shadow (fitting for a Vessel of Ambition to survive even beyond death) with the Shard (similarly Stormfather has merged with Honor's/Tanavast's Cognitive Shadow). Even without CS seeing past is far more simple than seeing the future (a thing a lot of Shards are at least moderately good at) - you just need to read past Connections.

If the splinters are forming a hive mind, how can it be a cognitive Shadow of Ambition? That seems self contradictory. If Bavadin, who we know has multiple personas already, cannot be theirself because it seems to speak with a hive mind, surely that exception extends to a cognitive Shadow viewing itself as having a past relationship with Hoid despite being Splintered into a Hive mind that sees itself a separately distinct avatars in a hive mind. "If it's good for the goose it's good for the gander."

I feel like the 2nd Letter fits the theme of a Shard that's just trying to survive (doesn't want to meddle with others, is surprised Hoid found it/them). The hard part with this is that Brandon said it's a Shard we know of...whether or not he means we know of the Shard from a book or from WoB makes it tough to tell if the "survival Shard" qualifies or not. 

3 hours ago, Ookla the Obtuse said:

If the splinters are forming a hive mind, how can it be a cognitive Shadow of Ambition? That seems self contradictory. If Bavadin, who we know has multiple personas already, cannot be theirself because it seems to speak with a hive mind, surely that exception extends to a cognitive Shadow viewing itself as having a past relationship with Hoid despite being Splintered into a Hive mind that sees itself a separately distinct avatars in a hive mind. "If it's good for the goose it's good for the gander."

I don't think the Cognitive Shadow is needed at all. Hoid has had contact with Adonalsium and all the Shards. There's connection there to be read. 

When Sazed picked up the power, he intuitively learned its history. In Elantris, the Shardpool speaks with Aona's voice, even though we know she dead and gone. The power itself has a record, even without the Vessel itself. 

As to your earlier response to me about Bavadin, I'll agree to disagree. There are 3 sapient races from Yolen, and if the naming structure is correct (Sho Del, Uli Da, Etc.) the  Bavadin isn't Sho Del, which would place her as either Human or Dragon. Both of which we've seen speak in a normal syntaxes in reference to the self. 

Hah! I find it funny that Ambition seems to be so beloved by everyone. It appears in theories everywhere. I'd actually say that both Bavadin and Ambition are fan favorites. 

As for the theory itself, it makes a whole lot of sense, I have to say. I like how it fits with Ambitions themes: surviving beyond death, claiming worlds, and so on. It also works well with a bunch of WoBs we have, and Bavadins apparent hive-mind has itched me as well. I like it the more I consider it, actually. That said, I can see two points against it:

1. Bavadin likes to hijack religions, and to be worshipped. Patji is worshipped, at least by Dusk. That kind of makes it fit well with Autonomy, and the Shard that wrote the hive-mind Letter is most likely the one that is hanging around First of the Sun, since the Letter contains references to waves and water. 

2. Wouldn't Odium have attempted to stop this from happening, somehow. After all, he shoved Dominion and Devotion into the CR in order to prevent their power from being taken up. Wouldn't he have predicted that this could happen?

I also want to address this real quick:

4 hours ago, Ookla the Indefatigable said:

It was agreed that we would not interfere with one another, and it disappoints me that so few of the Shards have kept to this original agreement

I don't know if you misquoted here, but this is part of the first Letter (most likely written by Endowment). You may have acknowledged that, and in that case, I apologize for calling you out on this.

3 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

2. Wouldn't Odium have attempted to stop this from happening, somehow. After all, he shoved Dominion and Devotion into the CR in order to prevent their power from being taken up. Wouldn't he have predicted that this could happen?

If he'd splintered the Shard, he may not have foreseen this as a possibility. Something has definitely changed recently. In OB he speaks as though just splintering isn't enough and the fragments of Honor's power must be dealt with. Ambition, if this is true and he is aware of it, could be a very good reason for that change. 

Just now, Ookla, the Incalculable said:

If he'd splintered the Shard, he may not have foreseen this as a possibility. Something has definitely changed recently. In OB he speaks as though just splintering isn't enough and the fragments of Honor's power must be dealt with. Ambition, if this is true and he is aware of it, could be a very good reason for that change. 

Very good point. I like this theory better and better. 

Fun thing, you actually interrupted me while I was reading your theory of Intent. Time to get back to that now. 

33 minutes ago, Ookla, the Incalculable said:

The power itself has a record, even without the Vessel itself. 

I'm still not sure how this satisfies Hoid choosing to approach them by relying on presumption of past relationship. To me, that seems to say that Hoid has a past relationship with this being for him to presume upon when he spoke to them. If this is a new being, even with reading Connection, why would Hoid have a past relationship to presume upon? There are a lot of contextual clues that support a previous personal relationship between them, the formal greeting by use of Cephandrius and title. The subtle insult in the use of "you must know better" and "did you expect anything else." The precautionary instillation of a dislike of him in their new Avatar on Obradai especially would fit someone whom we know Hoid has a grudge on.

Here's another problem with Ambition: If Hoid is trying to drum up support for his battle against Odium, why ask just a tiny CS/splinter/whatever? He's been asking just shards for a reason: they're big, powerful, and can come over to Roshar to help out. But if what Hoid is talking to is just a splinter, how's that going to help?

Yeah, not the most powerful arguments, but I personally think that it being Ambition is a little bit of a stretch.

I've come to the assumption that the author of the Second Letter is Autonomy, but that Bavadin herself is not the author. As it clearly says in the letter:

You have spoken to one who cannot respond.

Aaand yet there's a response to Hoid's letter anyway. From who? I think the letter was written to Bavadin, but it was one of the many servants of Autonomy who responded on her behalf, because (as they said) their leader can't respond. The servant answered for Autonomy, who was preoccupied with other matters, writing what she would have said. Why wouldn't Autonomy have been able to respond? The answer to that sounds like a RAFO waiting to happen to me, 'cause how are we supposed to know what Bavadin's up to during the SA?

Also, another point:

We need not suffer the interference of another.

If one wishes to not have others interfere with their matters, you could say they're being pretty autonomous. I think they way that Shard is working is that she is perfectly okay with interfering with others, but doesn't want others to interfere with her.

And another thing that's probably already been surmised:

Indeed, we admire his initiative.

Sounds like the tone of one who is more inclined to Odium's side. Which we know Autonomy may have been:

Moridin997 (paraphrased)

Did Bavadin in any way help Odium splinter Dominion and Devotion?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Uhh...

Moridin997 (paraphrased)

(sensing an incoming RAFO): In any way...

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Uhh... Yes... Yes, you could say that...

So while I questioned it at first, I'm pretty sure the author is Autonomy. I'm not trying to say it isn't Ambition in any way, since the OP makes some very good supporting points about that that I don't exactly subscribe to but are quite logical and acceptable.

Just my three cents on the topic. (I say "three cents" 'cause that's literally all the money I have left, teehee.)

Some responses for you all!

10 hours ago, Ookla the Obtuse said:

In context, by how I understand, this more directly refers to Hoid's interference contacting them than Rayse, as it precedes any mention of Rayse and follows an explanation of how they want to go on alone, presumably without forming an alliance.

As the waves of the sea must continue to surge, so must our will continue resolute. 
Alone. 

Did you expect anything else from us? We need not suffer the interference of another. 

I'm not saying you're wrong, just that I understand his suffering if interference refers to Hoid's meddling with the Shards. That quote you cited about the pact is from a separate letter, not the one in question, so There's nothing Linking the two statements.

I think it's very clear that the writer of the Second is refering to the pact that was mentioned in the quote from the First I brought up. I know that what I quoted is from the first Letter, it was my intention to show the link.

Which fits exactly with what Khriss notes in the Arcanum Unbounded section on Taldain. Autonomy wants to meddle while being left alone. I'm a little confused because you don't seem to address the point I'm making here.

1 hour ago, Ookla the Rusty said:

If one wishes to not have others interfere with their matters, you could say they're being pretty autonomous. I think they way that Shard is working is that she is perfectly okay with interfering with others, but doesn't want others to interfere with her.

The writer of the Second Letter wishes to be left alone and refuses to interfere at all. Meanwhile Autonomy is very active with interfering with other Shards.

I've read the thread and I've read all the WoB on Autonomy and Bavadin both. I was asking if there is more information beyond what I stated in my earlier post that confirms your interpretation. Does such information exist?

That's the thing - all that craziness about Bavadin comes from that single WoB. Which - in my opinion - was misinterpreted and then some theories got popular and now people think Bavadin is a hive mind.
(that's why my user title is what it is)

There are two other WoBs tangentially related to it:

Don't even get me started on Bavadin's religions.

source

Questioner

Yeah, coz, I really, I just like kind of the idea of the Shards and stuff, and I guess I want to learn more about what they look like and, kind of their personalities and stuff.

Brandon Sanderson

Bavadin's a hard one, because what does Bavadin look like? Bavadin looks like what she feels like looking like, or what he feels like looking like, depending upon the day.

source

So, basically we know that Bavadin has mutliple religions in which he is worshipped, and that she can choose how to appear (not really surprising for a Shard).

If it does not, would you mind walking me through the logic that says that that WoB goes against the mind split thing? I have given my own explanation in my earlier post for how this works with the information we have, is there something from that you don't find plausible or satisfying?

Okay. The WoB in question:

10 hours ago, Ookla the Indefatigable said:

Brandon Sanderson

(...)

source

For me the wording is very clearly indicating that Bavadin can choose how to appear and utilises it - hence the bit about "for one purpose or another" - and that Bavadin prefers to let his masks gather attention. Not unlike Shallan or Wayne, who adopt an act, down to the specific mindset, for some purpose (granted, Shallan has problems on top of that).

Nothing here indicates that Bavadin is not a single being.

I mostly agree with points Calderis made. Also - if there is a CS of Uli Da - it's possible only one Splinter has it, or perhaps they divided it. It's one thing for a living being to split itself, it's a whole another thing to split an imprint left behind in Investiture.

6 hours ago, Toaster Retribution said:

Hah! I find it funny that Ambition seems to be so beloved by everyone. It appears in theories everywhere. I'd actually say that both Bavadin and Ambition are fan favorites. 

I meant "fan favorite" as in "favorite theory for the identity of the writer of the Letter" ;)

Bavadin likes to hijack religions, and to be worshipped.

Eh, do we? I only found WoBs that Bavadin has multiple religions, some of which have pantheons where every god is her. Claiming that Autonomy's MO is hijacking religions is a whole another step. It's a theory, not an unreasonable one, but not a fact.

Wouldn't Odium have attempted to stop this from happening, somehow. After all, he shoved Dominion and Devotion into the CR in order to prevent their power from being taken up. Wouldn't he have predicted that this could happen?

I agree with Calderis' response. Another option is that Ambition managed to flee, or that Odium was sure it's dead and had more pressing matters to attend to... who knows.

5 hours ago, Ookla the Obtuse said:

I'm still not sure how this satisfies Hoid choosing to approach them by relying on presumption of past relationship. To me, that seems to say that Hoid has a past relationship with this being for him to presume upon when he spoke to them. If this is a new being, even with reading Connection, why would Hoid have a past relationship to presume upon?

That would be the thing - that Hoid foolishly presumes upon relationship with Uli Da, who is no more.

5 hours ago, Raykoda said:

Here's another problem with Ambition: If Hoid is trying to drum up support for his battle against Odium, why ask just a tiny CS/splinter/whatever? He's been asking just shards for a reason: they're big, powerful, and can come over to Roshar to help out. But if what Hoid is talking to is just a splinter, how's that going to help?

Yeah, not the most powerful arguments, but I personally think that it being Ambition is a little bit of a stretch.

I think he's fine with any help he can get - and in my theory it's not just a tiny Splinter, it's a interlinked net of very big Splinters (on similar level as Stormfather, or even bigger).

I've come to the assumption that the author of the Second Letter is Autonomy, but that Bavadin herself is not the author.

The first WoB I quoted stated that all three Letters are from Shards. I doubt Brandon would say that if it was someone speaking on behalf of the Shard.

Sounds like the tone of one who is more inclined to Odium's side.

Not necessarily, as I have explained up there:

On 10.12.2017 at 2:26 AM, Ookla the Indefatigable said:

Admiration of his initiative - it would be strange if it's Ambition, right? Since Odium has mortally wounded Ambition.
But... Preservation admired Rashek just because he did not change. Even though he was a tyrant and responsible for many deaths, it was a quality to be admired.

Why then cannot Ambition admire Odium's initiative and will to act?

Also,

Which we know Autonomy may have been:

This WoB confirms nothing. "In any way" and "you could say that" means very little:

Questioner

My question's about Secret History, specifically it's kind of a two-parter. The first part's easier to answer. Is it relevant that the glowing substance that Hoid puts on his oar is very similarly described as the same stuff that the Ire drink, the glowing--

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah, that is relevant.

Questioner

And does it have to do with Connection.

Brandon Sanderson

Ah… *sighs* Yes, but not the way you're thinking. That's a "I'm wiggling out of..." Yes, it has to do with Connection, but so does a dog. Cause a dog is Connected to things. *laughs in the audience* You said "does it have to do with"! The answer is yes.

source

When Brandon says stuff like that, it's usually him wiggling out of something.

Whew, that was long!

Edited by Ookla the Indefatigable

@Ookla the Indefatigable

I think I have come to a point where I'll have to agree to disagree. I don't think there's a clear connection between that statement and the pact. I don't see any evidence from the text of the second letter that that Shard refuses to interfere with anyone if that link doesn't exist. Given that the Stormfather was an intentional Splinter of Honor before it became his cognitive Shadow, and that was Bonding with an existing being that already existed before hand in the Stormfather, and he's still pretty lacking in the memories department, I find the idea of Uli Da surviving in some way very tenuous. For Hoid to presume that a Shard that became sentient on it's own would retain the personality and relationship from Uli Da is also a reach for me. 

I had just finished typing this up and trying to find a WoB about Shards and intent after the holder dies when I stumbled on this one, which I'd say is pretty conclusive on the topic.

Spoiler

Mobile problems can't delete

Pagerunner (paraphrased)

Ambition, the Shard *inaudible*. Is that the one you previously referred to as not on a planet?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Ambition would fulfill that requirement, but that's not the one I was referring to.

43 minutes ago, Ookla the Obtuse said:

I had just finished typing this up and trying to find a WoB about Shards and intent after the holder dies when I stumbled on this one, which I'd say is pretty conclusive on the topic.

You realize I have that WoB up there?