[OB] Effects of Soulcasting

EdenMarino

Spoilers up to Part 4.

I think it's possible that Soulcasting, while it might slowly deteriorate your physical form, slowly changes your cognitive form until you become a Spren. (One to match the type of Soulcasting done)

When I read Kaze Interlude, I thought she was just slowly turning into smoke. Of course, she soulcasts matter into smoke, so it seems like a plausible consequence. Chapter 105 talks of an ardent Soulcaster whose "skin beneath was colored like granite, cracked and chipped, and seemed to glow from within."

This description matches that of some of the spren walking around in the Spren port in Shadesmar. This made me realize that there was also a Spren to match Kaza's trabsformation in that town. There were smokespren there as well. 

Anyone have a similar thought or theory about the end cost of Soulcasting?

Let's see if we can identify a spren for each type of Soulcasting:

Air - Windspren

Smoke - Smokespren

Fire - Flamespren

Crystal/Glass - Shamespren? (they manifest in the Physical Realm as shards of crystal)

Plants - Cultivationspren

Blood - Angerspren? (they manifest in the Physical Realm as pools of blood)

Oil - Inkspren? (this one is kind of a stretch, but they are described as having an oil-like shimmer. But, so are the dark Oathgate spren, so that isn't exclusive to Inkspren)

Metal - (I don't think we've seen anything onscreen yet, but I'm sure there's some sort of metallic spren)

Stone - Spren in the Celebrant port

Flesh - ???

So, I'm pretty sure that that covers all the onscreen spren thus far. It seems like a reasonable correlation. The Inkspren seems out of place, since it is a more sentient spren than the rest of them.

Also, I'm wondering what the heck a Soulcaster that Soulcasts Flesh looks like. 

2 minutes ago, Carbonationspren said:

Air - Windspren

Smoke - Smokespren

Fire - Flamespren

Crystal/Glass - Shamespren? (they manifest in the Physical Realm as shards of crystal)

Oil - Inkspren? (this one is kind of a stretch, but they are described as having an oil-like shimmer. But, so are the dark Oathgate spren, so that isn't exclusive to Inkspren)

Metal - (I don't think we've seen anything onscreen yet, but I'm sure there's some sort of metallic spren)

Flesh - ???

So, I'm pretty sure that that covers all the onscreen spren thus far. It seems like a reasonable correlation. The Inkspren seems out of place, since it is a more sentient spren than the rest of them.

Yeah I don't think Radiant spren would be used in Soulcasters, which would rule out Inkspren and cultivationspren. Maybe the spren for each is the minor spren for that order (like the theories that Shardplate is made out of the lesser spren).

8 hours ago, Carbonationspren said:

Air - Windspren

Smoke - Smokespren

Fire - Flamespren

Flesh - ???

Shamespren manifest as falling petals, and thenonly metallic Spren I can think of are the sailors when Kaladin and the others were travelling through Shadesmar! 

:)

A living being can't become a Spren, the most (and the Soulcaster could fit with it) is to become a Cognitive Shadow (mostly the Cosmere's ghost), also if probably a Rosharan will call them Spren regardless.

Example of Cognitive Shadows in Stormlight Archive are the Heralds and the Fused. Being so infused by Investiture to be able to remain after death as Cognitive being and (in both the cases) regain a physical under some circumstances.

While Spren are technically "Splinters" being made by Investiture that becomed sentient. Example of Splinters are Spren or Nightblood.

If you read also other Cosmere books:

Spoiler from Warbreaker, Mistborn Era2 and Shades for Silence in the Forests of Hell

Spoiler

Returned, Shades and Kelsier are Cognitive Shadows

Edited by Yata

• Chaos locked this topic