Ambition is not human

I came to this realization when discussing Bavadin and the races of Yolen in another thread. We know that there are three races on Yolen: dragons, humans and Sho Del. We don't know much about any of them, but the ones we know the least of is probably the Sho Del. Yet, I feel that Ambition is probably one of them. First off, I think every race should have at least one representative among the 16, so at least one has to be Sho Del. Secondly, we know the real name of a bunch of the vessels, and among all of them (Rayse, Bavadin, Edgli, Ati, Leras, Tanavast, Skai, Aona and Uli Da) Uli Da is the one that stands out, which makes me suspect a non-human race. So why do I think that Uli Da is Sho Del? Well, first off, the name has a space in the middle, just like the name of the Sho Del themselves. And secondly, we know a dragon, and his name is Frost, which doesn't seem to fit with Uli Da, linguistic-wise. So my conclusion is that Uli Da has to be Sho Del.

Apologizes if this has been discussed before. 

From the scant clues we've gotten it makes sense. I don't think we know enough to fully commit to it, but like you said it's likely that Uli Da is not human or dragon sounding name compared to other shard vessels/names we've seen. Personally, Uli Da sounds like a nomadic tribe style name in my mind. From the chapters we've seen of the Sho Del(i know it's not canon) the name kinda fits. 

Curious. Are the Sho Del currently cannon? I mean, they come from an unpublished work that has already had some pieces cannibalized. So, unless they've been canonized via WoB (as in, someone asked Brandon a question about them and he was willing to give a solid answer) I'm not sure we can even assume that they are still a part of the Cosmere.

1 minute ago, Ookla the Altruist said:

Curious. Are the Sho Del currently cannon? I mean, they come from an unpublished work that has already had some pieces cannibalized. So, unless they've been canonized via WoB (as in, someone asked Brandon a question about them and he was willing to give a solid answer) I'm not sure we can even assume that they are still a part of the Cosmere.

They are. 

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/262/#e8793

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

For a hardcore fan, one clue you'd give out... [About] Hoid, or Dragonsteel, or Restares.

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

...The problem is, so little of Dragonsteel is still canon. I've pulled so much out of it.

The Sho Del are still canon, and Hoid has an interesting relationship with several of them.

1 hour ago, Ookla, the Incalculable said:

They are. 

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/262/#e8793

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

For a hardcore fan, one clue you'd give out... [About] Hoid, or Dragonsteel, or Restares.

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

...The problem is, so little of Dragonsteel is still canon. I've pulled so much out of it.

The Sho Del are still canon, and Hoid has an interesting relationship with several of them.

Great! Do we know how much of who they are has been changed?

10 hours ago, Toaster Retribution said:

I came to this realization when discussing Bavadin and the races of Yolen in another thread. We know that there are three races on Yolen: dragons, humans and Sho Del. We don't know much about any of them, but the ones we know the least of is probably the Sho Del. Yet, I feel that Ambition is probably one of them. First off, I think every race should have at least one representative among the 16, so at least one has to be Sho Del. Secondly, we know the real name of a bunch of the vessels, and among all of them (Rayse, Bavadin, Edgli, Ati, Leras, Tanavast, Skai, Aona and Uli Da) Uli Da is the one that stands out, which makes me suspect a non-human race. So why do I think that Uli Da is Sho Del? Well, first off, the name has a space in the middle, just like the name of the Sho Del themselves. And secondly, we know a dragon, and his name is Frost, which doesn't seem to fit with Uli Da, linguistic-wise. So my conclusion is that Uli Da has to be Sho Del.

Apologizes if this has been discussed before. 

You already know I’m down...Uli Da is Ambition, head-canon confirmed ;)

If you're going to have one of the shards we already know of be non-human, Uli Da is probably the right bet, for the reasons you said.  But remember, there's still 6 shards out there waiting to be discovered.  

I'm assuming that so much has changed from the Dragonsteel days of yore, that anything we can glean from non-published works about the Sho Del is of no use to us. 

In my opinion, the Dragons are probably the most mysterious of the three races, but that might just be my personal preferences.  

Edited by Raykoda
changed something that could be construed as a spoiler.

• Chaos locked this topic