[OB] Eyes and the Spiritweb

NamelessThirteenth

After some thought I realized that Shardblades cause poeple's eyes to burn away, and that dead Shardblades in Shadesmar have no eyes...could there be a connection between the two facts?

When I think about it, humans have three aspects: Physical, Cognitive and Spiritual. If we assume that the soul is the spiritual aspect (I think that's been confirmed), it becomes clear that what a Shardblade does is:

1) Seperate a person from his Spiritweb

2) Make the connections between the three aspects unravel

So it takes the soul, and it takes the eyes...eyes are windows of the soul (maybe).

So then if we assume that this is why the eyes disappear, then why do the Spren's eyes disappear after the bond dies?

My theory is that a spren (which only has one part, the cognitive part) achieves Spiritual and Physical aspects from a Nahel Bond. Swearing the Ideals constitutes the spren's Spiritweb, and adds to it, which means that a spren's spiritweb is made of Oaths and Ideals. Then, when the Radiants broke their bonds, they "broke" the spren's Spiritweb, robbing them of their souls (eyes) and their physical form.

6 hours ago, NamelessThirteenth said:

My theory is that a spren (which only has one part, the cognitive part) achieves Spiritual and Physical aspects from a Nahel Bond. Swearing the Ideals constitutes the spren's Spiritweb, and adds to it, which means that a spren's spiritweb is made of Oaths and Ideals. Then, when the Radiants broke their bonds, they "broke" the spren's Spiritweb, robbing them of their souls (eyes) and their physical form.

That's an interesting way to put it, I think that your right about what the spren get out of the Nahel bond, they get to put some of themselves into the spirtitual realm by filling in their bonded person's cracked spirit web. This would in turn make there more substantively real, and would allow them to both grow and change. So higher spren grant surgebinders access to the surges  in order to have a soul of their own (which happens to be part of their surgebinder's soul too, but what's a sentient idea going to do, they can't pick up a new soul at Walmart right?)

I don't think the soul is burning. Maybe the connection to the physical body is. And... the Windows of the soul. Well, you also look OUT through the window. Most people, except blind people, mainly take in the world through their eyes. Perhaps making connection with the world through their eyes? So then, what would happen if a blind person is stabbed by a shardblade? This is an important question. 

5 hours ago, hoiditthroughthegrapevine said:

My theory is that a spren (which only has one part, the cognitive part) achieves Spiritual and Physical

No spren are cognitive entities but they are made of investiture which is always in the spiritual realm so they definitely have a spiritual component independent of a nahel  bond

1 hour ago, Ookla the Deval said:

No spren are cognitive entities but they are made of investiture which is always in the spiritual realm so they definitely have a spiritual component independent of a nahel  bond

Was this in a WoB or something? Anyway even if this is the case then the Nahel Bond ideals add to the spiritweb and make it what it is

• Chaos locked this topic