[OB] Alethi Names

Wyndrunner

Disclaimer: I don't know if anyone has already mentioned this so I apologize in advance if someone has beaten me to it.

So I was very interested while reading Oathbringer when we actually learned that the names of characters has meanings.

Spoiler

“What’s his name?” “Oroden.” “Child of peace,” Kaladin whispered. “A good name. A very good name.”

Sanderson, Brandon. Oathbringer: Book Three of the Stormlight Archive (p. 89). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition. 

“Name…” Dalinar said. “Adoda.” Light. He glanced toward Evi, who nodded in agreement. “Without a suffix, my lord? Adodan? Adodal?” “Lin,” Dalinar whispered. Born unto. “Adolin.” A good name, traditional, full of meaning.

Sanderson, Brandon. Oathbringer: Book Three of the Stormlight Archive (p. 493). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition. 

“Renarin?” Dalinar said, trying to work out the name. He hadn’t picked that. “Rekher … no, Re…” “Re,” Evi said. “From my language. Nar, after his father. In, to be born unto.” Stormfather, that was a butchering of the language. Dalinar fumbled, trying to work through it. Nar meant “like unto.” “What does ‘Re’ mean in your language?” Dalinar asked, scratching his face. “It has no meaning,” Evi said. “It is simply the name. It means our son’s name, or him.” Dalinar groaned softly. So the child’s name was “Like one who was born unto himself.” Delightful.

Sanderson, Brandon. Oathbringer: Book Three of the Stormlight Archive (p. 515). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition. 

So then I was going through the artwork for Oathbringer and found this:

5a2ab749531d2_AlethiGlyphs.thumb.jpg.6ff6c88c4146cafb0f92d5f59625ad3e.jpg

On this print, Nazh has written out how the phonemes for glyphs work (which is awesome) and also the glyphs for the First Ideal of the Knights Radiant (which is even more awesome!). But I noticed that when he writes Everstorm it gets split into two words: "eternal" "storm" or "kalad" "zeras" = kalazeras (this is epic because now we know how to say Everstorm in Alethi!)

But looking at it now I can see that "kalad", the glyph for "eternal", must be the basis for Kaladin's name and then added with the suffix -in it becomes something like "born unto eternity".

I find this fascinating and I was wondering if there were any linguists among us who might be able to figure out the meanings of other names for the Alethi. Or maybe if we can figure out how naming works for the darkeyes? 

Spoiler

Are darkeyed names related to the names of the singers like Lewshi tells us in the case of Moash?

Thoughts anyone?

• Pagerunner changed the title to [OB] Alethi Names
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Chaos locked this topic