3 posts in this topic

So I created an account just so I could pose this questions to everyone. Be warned, Oathbringer spoilers here! 

----

We now have scenes from Oathbringer (as well as WoB) demonstrating the use of one type of investiture to fuel a different off world sub-type of magic (ex. Szeth using stormlight to fuel Nightblood rather than breath). Now that Hoid is Knight Radiant in addition to a fully powered lerasium mistborn what sort of effect would stormlight have fueling allomancy? We see Kaladain receive a renewing supply of energy flying at the front of the everstorm and Szeth able to unleash the full effects of Nightblood without having to utilize biochromatic breath. Would stormlight act as a "metal supply" for Hoid? And if so, would it also potentially fuel him with an "atium reserve", possibly even a renewing one if he was near the everstorm?

Conversely what sort of effect would metal vials have fueling surgebinding? 

This should be moved to either Cosmere questions or Cosmere theories. And Welcome to the Shard, have an upvote.

2 hours ago, bluelightscene said:

Would stormlight act as a "metal supply" for Hoid?

The short answer is "Yes, with caveats." This Arcanum result, obtained after searching "stormlight+allomancy", should help (please note that #3 and #4 answer whether Stormlight can fuel Allomancy): https://wob.coppermind.net/basic_search/?query=stormlight%2Ballomancy

Now, I have a couple of quibbles to quib (not a real verb):

We now have scenes from Oathbringer (as well as WoB) demonstrating the use of one type of investiture to fuel a different off world sub-type of magic (ex. Szeth using stormlight to fuel Nightblood rather than breath)

Nightblood, as far as I know, consumes investiture not Breath specifically. Creating Nightblood, i.e. Awakening, is a specific magic system but the consumption mechanic of Nightblood is, probably, not directly related to Awakening (see Vivenna's sword's lack of consumption mechanic). I'm not so sure this is an example of using one type of investiture fueling a different world's magic. A better example would be Zahel using Stormlight to survive instead of Breath but, again, that is probably another example of a situation where investiture (of any kind) can be consumed.

Now that Hoid is Knight Radiant in addition to a fully powered lerasium mistborn what sort of effect would stormlight have fueling allomancy?

Objection. We do not have, as far as I am aware, solid confirmation on either of these claims. We know Hoid has Lerasium and we know Hoid has used some forms of Allomancy but we do not, again to my knowledge, know that Hoid is a Mistborn. We also do not, to my knowledge, have confirmation that Hoid has bonded that spren though it does seem likely.

As to the effect, I think some "hacking" would be required before someone could use Stormlight to power Allomancy. Hoid can probably figure it out.

We see Kaladain receive a renewing supply of energy flying at the front of the everstorm

I only recall Kaladin doing this with a Highstorm. I do not think he can use the Everstorm to power his Surgebinding.

And if so, would it also potentially fuel him with an "atium reserve", possibly even a renewing one if he was near the everstorm?

If you meant Highstorm then I think it is possible, with the right "hacks", to power Allomancy with Stormlight. As for Atium... hmm, that is a tricky one. I would lean towards "no, unless there is a vessel controlling Honor that is ok with it". Atium is the Godmetal of another Shard and, as such, I would imagine there are slightly different rules for how it works. But, I have no concrete evidence to present. 

Conversely what sort of effect would metal vials have fueling surgebinding? 

With the right "hacks" I think an Allomancer + Surgebinder could learn to fuel their Surgebinding via metals but, as always, there is a big caveat of needing to "hack".