[OB]The Spirit Realm- A Complete Explanation

Steeldancer

You weren’t kidding about making a huge SR thread, wow

EDIT: okay, wow. There was a lot here. Nice job summarizing it all up, Steel. Though, about Resonances, why do you think they’re a result of the Ideals? I didn’t really get that bit, besides, Resonances happen between things that don’t require Ideals. I think they’re more like two strands of the Spiritweb crossing each other, somehow, but that’s just me. 

I do like the idea of making an entirely new entity, Frankenstein-esque, but isn’t that just what Nightblood (and presumably Azure’s sword) is? Or do you mean out of parts of other spiritwebs, using Hemalurgy? Cause that could have some fun (terrible, grisly) things there. 

Well, no matter what, my Upvote to yours, my Rep become yours. Great post ^_^

Edited by Ookla the Heraldic

1 hour ago, Ookla the Heraldic said:

You weren’t kidding about making a huge SR thread, wow

EDIT: okay, wow. There was a lot here. Nice job summarizing it all up, Steel. Though, about Resonances, why do you think they’re a result of the Ideals? I didn’t really get that bit, besides, Resonances happen between things that don’t require Ideals. I think they’re more like two strands of the Spiritweb crossing each other, somehow, but that’s just me. 

I do like the idea of making an entirely new entity, Frankenstein-esque, but isn’t that just what Nightblood (and presumably Azure’s sword) is? Or do you mean out of parts of other spiritwebs, using Hemalurgy? Cause that could have some fun (terrible, grisly) things there. 

Well, no matter what, my Upvote to yours, my Rep become yours. Great post ^_^

What I meant by that is I think the Radiant resonances are related to their ideals, like having squires for leading and protecting, and the mnemonic ability for creativity. Not the actual ideals themselves as being the cause of resonanves

42 minutes ago, Run Ookla, run! said:

What I meant by that is I think the Radiant resonances are related to their ideals, like having squires for leading and protecting, and the mnemonic ability for creativity. Not the actual ideals themselves as being the cause of resonanves

Ohh, I understand. Okay, I can see where you’re coming from on that. 

This... Nicely done Steel. 

I agree for the vast majority. I'll go over it again and look for questions to discuss, but on the whole, I'm with you. As with our discussion about fortune and the spiritual realm the other night on discord, I think on most things we're attempting to say the same thing with different terminology. 

This is insanely good. Like, I basically agree with everything here. 

As for Resonances, a good analogy I've taken to heart is music-related:

Let's say Allomancy is the note A and Feruchemy is the note F. When you have just A, it sounds like an A. And same for F. But when you play both F and A together, you get a major third (or a minor sixth if is inverted), a completely new sound created from the two notes. I believe Resonances are basically the Investiture version of this: when you get two powers, you can hear them separately, but you also hear whatever interval (i.e. major third) the two notes make on top of it. I might some day use this to explain why Harmony is having so much struggle with his intents, but this isn't the right place.

(Also, you should tag me later to come upvote this)

7 hours ago, Ookla the StrooklaEZ said:

This is insanely good. Like, I basically agree with everything here. 

As for Resonances, a good analogy I've taken to heart is music-related:

Let's say Allomancy is the note A and Feruchemy is the note F. When you have just A, it sounds like an A. And same for F. But when you play both F and A together, you get a major third (or a minor sixth if is inverted), a completely new sound created from the two notes. I believe Resonances are basically the Investiture version of this: when you get two powers, you can hear them separately, but you also hear whatever interval (i.e. major third) the two notes make on top of it. I might some day use this to explain why Harmony is having so much struggle with his intents, but this isn't the right place.

(Also, you should tag me later to come upvote this)

That makes sense given that resonance is a very musical term. 

You know what? I just realized i forgot something- Investiture Saturation. As such, if I realize something about the Spiritual Realm, I'll add it in here. I might add some more examples and things. I'll mark them as being a new edit each time.

There, got it all edited in

Edited by Run Ookla, run!

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 7:13 PM, Run Ookla, run! said:

How aluminum fits into this is not entirely clear, although I suspect that when one burns Aluminum, it all goes away because it’s the power of Preservation destroying the metallic spirit web

I suspect that instead of destroying the "active site" of the metal's web, Aluminum blocks the active site of the allomancer.

Regarding the Frankenstein's monster... isn't that kind of what a lot of us suspect Hoid is becoming?

Edited by Ookla the Hatter

1 hour ago, Ookla the Hatter said:

I suspect that instead of destroying the "active site" of the metal's web, Aluminum blocks the active site of the allomancer.

Regarding the Frankenstein's monster... isn't that kind of what a lot of us suspect Hoid is becoming?

...no. I'm talking a dead person, and a new soul being constructed using hemalurgy. 

The heritage / child spirit web section brings to mind the RL-debate over nature v nurture. 

What would you expect from the following scenarios?:

1. Difference in a child's spirit web / identity if raised by biological parents or adopted soon after birth
  2. Difference in identical twins (raised by birth parents) spirit web / identity at adolescence
  3. Difference in identical twins spirit web / identity at adolescence if born on Roshar, but one twin is taken by a worldhopper immediately after birth and raised on Nalthis

2 hours ago, Runyan Firetree said:

The heritage / child spirit web section brings to mind the RL-debate over nature v nurture. 

What would you expect from the following scenarios?:

1. Difference in a child's spirit web / identity if raised by biological parents or adopted soon after birth
  2. Difference in identical twins (raised by birth parents) spirit web / identity at adolescence
  3. Difference in identical twins spirit web / identity at adolescence if born on Roshar, but one twin is taken by a worldhopper immediately after birth and raised on Nalthis

Well, i imagine the spirit realm still acting like genetics. So you're spiritual "look" would be copied from your biological parents, as genetics works. However, identity is something that develops over time. That would be more affected by adopted parents and such. 

Identical twins? Well... i think their identity would still be slightly different, but quite similar. The spiritual "look" should be the exact same. Identity is something that develops over time. 

Good questions. 

Edited by Steeldancer

Wow, that was a really comprehensive summary! I pretty much agree with everything in your post, I just have a few questions that might be hard to answer since there isn't much information given about the Spiritual Realm:

Do you think there could be a "Spiritual Shadow", similar to how there are Cognitive Shadows? Could such a shadow even impact the other 2 realms, since the Spiritual Realm has a much weaker concept of location/time? Would there even be something to anchor your spirit-web to? If we are using Light Filter Realmatics, then does someone's spirit-web contain all of the information needed to produce a Cognitive/Physical representation?

I'm not the most versed in Realmatics, so excuse me if some of my questions have obvious answers lol.

17 minutes ago, Malphrendrius said:

Wow, that was a really comprehensive summary! I pretty much agree with everything in your post, I just have a few questions that might be hard to answer since there isn't much information given about the Spiritual Realm:

Do you think there could be a "Spiritual Shadow", similar to how there are Cognitive Shadows? Could such a shadow even impact the other 2 realms, since the Spiritual Realm has a much weaker concept of location/time? Would there even be something to anchor your spirit-web to? If we are using Light Filter Realmatics, then does someone's spirit-web contain all of the information needed to produce a Cognitive/Physical representation?

I'm not the most versed in Realmatics, so excuse me if some of my questions have obvious answers lol.

I think there is a "spiritual shadow" we saw something like that in OB. I think the spirit web does have all the info required, it's just filtered through cognitive perception. 

Don't worry about it, all of us start from somewhere. 

Steeldancer, what do you think the effect on the Sprirt-Web would be of those who remain in the CR for extended periods of time?  Do those on Silverlight or people like Khriss begin to change in significant ways as they begin to identify more with being of the CR than of anything else?  And can the IRE escape whatever effect this may be with their castle built of Connected blocks, explaining their purpose as a way to avoid becoming less Selish (presumably) by constantly thinking of themselves as still being in Sel, or an extension of it?

I think the only effect should be on the location part of the spirit web, which... I don't know how that would be effected by you being in the cognitive realm. But I don't think you can ever escape being connected to where you were born, at least not with what we've seen, and certainly not with an Elantrian, who would need that connection to keep them alive.

Ok- edit 3. I did some speculation on the spiritual aspects of the Surges today. Of most interest are Adhesion, Transformation, and Transportation. The others... well they just aren't as interesting Spiritually. I also wander into some non- Spiritual speculation, but I've been thinking a lot about the winds recently, so don't blame me for rambling for a bit. lol.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1-1-2018 at 6:19 PM, Steeldancer said:

Ok- edit 3. I did some speculation on the spiritual aspects of the Surges today. Of most interest are Adhesion, Transformation, and Transportation. The others... well they just aren't as interesting Spiritually. I also wander into some non- Spiritual speculation, but I've been thinking a lot about the winds recently, so don't blame me for rambling for a bit. lol.

What do you think about the observation from Khriss in the Stormlight Archive Ars Arcanum?

The Basic Lashing involved revoking a being's or object's spiritual gravitational bond to the planet below, instead temporarily linking that being or object to a different object or direction.

Edit: Nevermind, I shouldn't assume you only discussed those without actually reading the part you edited in.

Edit2: To not totally waste this post, I do have something to add: Would you think that Connection can be seen as "the distance of the Spiritual Realm", in the way that, for example, I consider my window about 4 m away right now, with a weaker Connection being a larger 'distance'? Of course, the amount of dimensions this works in is not necessarily 3 (+ time).

Edited by Leyrann

24 minutes ago, Leyrann said:

What do you think about the observation from Khriss in the Stormlight Archive Ars Arcanum?

Edit: Nevermind, I shouldn't assume you only discussed those without actually reading the part you edited in.

Edit2: To not totally waste this post, I do have something to add: Would you think that Connection can be seen as "the distance of the Spiritual Realm", in the way that, for example, I consider my window about 4 m away right now, with a weaker Connection being a larger 'distance'? Of course, the amount of dimensions this works in is not necessarily 3 (+ time).

Sort of? You might be able to measure spiritual things in terms of connection... but without being able to find out, I'm not sure. 

I am unsure about your use of "investits." I prefer investon for the fundamental particle (A la graviton, electron, etc.) and Khriss for the future unit of measurement (one milikhriss, 2.4 Gigakhriss)

8 hours ago, John203 said:

I am unsure about your use of "investits." I prefer investon for the fundamental particle (A la graviton, electron, etc.) and Khriss for the future unit of measurement (one milikhriss, 2.4 Gigakhriss)

As I said, i was making it up on the spot to indicate that they are investiture particles. Investon is a way better name. Investit just sounds like a stupid game. 

• Chaos locked this topic