(OB) Lack of Shard Plate

JonW8

12 minutes ago, JonW8 said:

Aside from flashbacks, I do not believe there is any use of sharp plate in the entire book by a protagonist. Is this significant?  Perhaps just to add more significance to attaining shardplate in its true form in the next book?

the plate come after the blade. we know for the windrunner come after the four ideal. different order gain the blade an the plate at different stage of progression, but i think the four oath an the plate come togheter for the most order.

there is a wob (linked in another thread, i don't find him now) give some hint to the same for the bondsmith.

44 minutes ago, JonW8 said:

I mean in OB specifically, all battles were without plate.

Oh storm you're right! Brandon must be doing this so that in the next book plate will seem like a fresh concept.

Edited by Ymawgat
test to see if i can actually swear here

Actually there are some subtle hints that Shallan used Shardplate in the last battle. 

Another hand took Shallan’s on the right. Radiant, in glowing garnet Shardplate, tall, with braided hair.

And later 

“Here,” Radiant said, tired, stumbling to her feet. She was the one Jasnah could feel. She blinked away tears. “Are you … real?”

3 hours ago, JonW8 said:

Aside from flashbacks, I do not believe there is any use of sharp plate in the entire book by a protagonist. Is this significant?  Perhaps just to add more significance to attaining shardplate in its true form in the next book?

As far as I can tell the only confirmed use of Shardplate by protagonists outside of the flashbacks is the Re-Shephir fight as mentioned previously.

I think it was less a conscious decision by Brandon to set up the reveal in the next book and more a consequence of the way the plot went. Between the infiltration of Kholinar requiring stealth it took Adolins plate out of the equation and since we dont see any of the radiants with it they wouldnt be be able to fight with it.

This doesnt necessarily mean none of them have it. There are hints that Shallan (mentioned above) and Jasnah have their plate already and have used it but its left ambiguous.

On 03/12/2017 at 5:28 PM, JonW8 said:

I mean in OB specifically, all battles were without plate.

Jasnah and Shallan both had bits that implied they may have had plate in the battle at Thaylen City.

Plus Amaran had his in his fight with Kaladin.

He fell beside the hole's perimeter, and stretched one hand toward Venli. His other ground against the rock wall, hand scraping the stone. Something flashed around his arm. Lines of light, a framework that covered his body. His fingers didn't bleed as they scraped the stone.

Pg 1028 hardcover

There might have been a glance of Dalinar's Plate in the vision with Venli too

There was a Thaylen shardbearer wearing plate too. 

Also this WoB regarding KR shardplate

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

*inaudible* Are they getting Shardplate anytime soon?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

That is a Read And Find Out, unfortunately... There are hints that-- if you look, there are certain people that it's implied already do have it. But I'm not gonna delve into that for another book or two.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/261-oathbringer-edinburgh-signing/#e8781

Jasnah uses plate in the final battle of the book. It was heavily hinted at anyway. I forget whose PoV this was, but they saw a fused fly through the air and crash heavily into a wall. The person looked around the corner at the source, and saw Jasnah there, glowing faintly for a moment in a way that wasn't from stormlight, but was identical to earlier descriptions of what it looks like when a Radiant's armor appears/disappears.

I felt like it was pretty well explained.  The Radiants can only get shard plate as the progress through their ideals.  Current (dead spren) plate interferes with their stormlight use.  Adolin couldn't take his plate with him to Kolinar and doesn't have it because someone else is using it or keeping it for him. As others have said, it's heavily implied that Jasnah has at least limited use of plate.

All through Kaladin's fight with mecha-Amaram, every time he was forced to break off an attack to dodge or parry, I would think "You know what would be helpful right now? Shardplate." I really thought he was going to be pushed to say his next Words to survive that fight.

Instead we got the (air) cavalry to the rescue, which was better than yet another conveniently timed level up. But I think it sets up the eventual importance of plate nicely.

Edited by Ookla the Busker
Dodge or party

1 hour ago, bo.montier said:

I think it is interesting that the 4th oath Skybreaker we see wasn't wearing plate. Wonder if it was because they were just training, or if he didn't have it.

I think it was just that they were training. Unless only 5th level Skybreakers get Plate, which I don’t see as likely. 

The lack of Plate in this book was an interesting twist. A bunch of people were sure this would be the book that we could put the theories to rest regarding Shardplate, but instead, we got a few hints and a lot of confusion. It was nice, though. More to find out later. 

2 hours ago, Ookla the Busker said:

All through Kaladin's fight with mecha-Amaram, every time he was forced to break off an attack to dodge or parry, I would think "You know what would be helpful right now? Shardplate." I really thought he was going to be pushed to say his next Words to survive that fight.

Instead we got the (air) cavalry to the rescue, which was better than yet another conveniently timed level up. But I think it sets up the eventual importance of plate nicely.

Haha, yeah. I bet Shardplate would be quite nice to have there, espeically since Amaram had his own Plate for most of the fight. But hey, if Kaladin can take on a Shardplate-and-Yelig-nar-assisted guy without Plate, just imagine how good he’ll be with it. 

On 12/5/2017 at 1:52 PM, Canucck said:

There might have been a glance of Dalinar's Plate in the vision with Venli too

This could also be Dalinar's Surgebinding, which it sounds more like. One of the Bondsmith Surges is Cohesion, which manipulates the material properties of objects, so I see no reason he couldn't have used it to momentarily make his skin extremely strong. 

1 minute ago, Heir of the Void said:

This could also be Dalinar's Surgebinding, which it sounds more like. One of the Bondsmith Surges is Cohesion, which manipulates the material properties of objects, so I see no reason he couldn't have used it to momentarily make his skin extremely strong. 

It wasn't definitive, but a "framework that covered his body" seems like a pretty big Plate tease, even more so than "geometric shapes" around Jasnah imo. I don't think I could accept one without the other at least.

6 hours ago, Nashan’Elin said:

I think it was just that they were training. Unless only 5th level Skybreakers get Plate, which I don’t see as likely. 

The lack of Plate in this book was an interesting twist. A bunch of people were sure this would be the book that we could put the theories to rest regarding Shardplate, but instead, we got a few hints and a lot of confusion. It was nice, though. More to find out later. 

I was more thinking that something beyond the oaths was required for plate.

@bo.montier It seems fairly clear that for the Windrunners at least 4th ideal is required for plate 

'"My spren claims that recording this will be good for me, so here I go. Everyone says I will swear the Fourth Ideal soon, and in so doing, earn my armor. I simply don't think that I can. Am I not supposed to want to help people?" - From drawer 10-12, Sapphire' - Oathbringer Chapter 86 epigraph 

While the specific oath required for plate might vary somewhat between orders it seems likely that for all orders Plate was a consequence of Oaths 

8 minutes ago, Dlyol said:

@bo.montier It seems fairly clear that for the Windrunners at least 4th ideal is required for plate 

While the specific oath required for plate might vary somewhat between orders it seems likely that for all orders Plate was a consequence of Oaths 

I definitely see what you're saying, but I still wonder a bit, particularly because none of the main characters manifested plate, despite the fact that Shallan was a level beyond Kaladin at the end of WoR, and despite Jasnah having been a radiant for some time (I assume she's reached the 4th ideal). To me all of the times we saw main characters with "something" about them it was a plate precursor, rather than plate itself. I come back to the skybreaker of the 4th ideal, he probably DID have his plate, just not during training, but it makes me wonder. 

You're probably right, that plate, like the blades, is simply acquired by achieving a certain ideal, but I still wonder at this point.

Edit: To be clear, I understand that reaching a certain ideal is a requirement for Plate, I just wonder if it is Sufficient for Plate.

Edited by bo.montier

So, this might be a bit of a tangent from this thread, but is Kaladin's plate going to be made up of Windspren? The times it's seemed like he's been close to saying the Words, there were windspren conspicuously around him. And if so, are there other cousins to the highspren that the orders bond that will make up their Plate?