[OB] Have Hoid and the Heralds bonded with Voidspren before?

TJtheWiz

In Oathbringer, it references two the Voidspren/Fused two times with respect to the Heralds and Wit. Is it possible that they had originally bonded with the Voidspren, but after travelling to Roshar (if we assume that the Heralds were part of the exodus from the last planet humans lived on) chose Honor as their god instead of Odium and eventually formed the Oathpact?

The exact quotes are:

"'Madness,' Ahu said, then giggled. 'I used to think it wasn't my fault. But you know, we can't escape what we did? We let them in. We attracted them, befriended them, took them out to dance and courted them. It is our fault. You open yourself to it, and you pay the price.'" (Pg 853)

"He passed into the shadow of the palace, and the sentry hovering in the air nearby, wind rippling her long clothing. Vatwha was her name. Thousands of years ago, he'd shared a dance with her. Like all others, she'd later been trained to watch for him." (Pg 1232)

I'm wondering if "dancing" with the Voidspren implies a bond or not. What do you think?

Edited by TJtheWiz

1 hour ago, Yata said:

A Fused is a Cognitive Shadow. This means She was a living people at One time. Hoid probably danced with her before the whole Voidbringer stuff happened

Agreed. Let's remember that these are some of the people who had been Worldsingers before the first Desolation. And we don't know the average Parshendi lifespan, so it could be that there was quite a window in which Hoid would have visited.

I can understand the "dancing" part to mean combat, but what about the part where Jezrien says "We let them in"? I feel like this implies that they either bonded with Voidspren many years before, or allowed the Voidspren to control them in a way or something similar to that. Either that, or it refers to the Heralds' time of being tortured by the Voidspren on Braize. I just don't understand which theory that statement would support the best. If anyone has any better theories, please say them; I'm interested to know what everyone else thinks.

• Chaos locked this topic