• Announcements

• Chaos

Oathbringer Spoiler Policy   11/13/2017

Oathbringer is out! Let's make our policy on spoilers clear! 1. You must preface topics with Oathbringer spoilers with the prefix [OB] in the front 2. You are only allowed to post spoilers and spoiler topics in the Oathbringer Spoiler Board, Cosmere Theories, and some select work-related forums. 3. For posts in the Oathbringer Spoiler Board you do not need to use spoiler tags inside a topic marked [OB]. For Cosmere Theories, you also do not need to put spoiler tags inside your topic if the topic has [OB] in the title. However, for Cosmere Theories, if you are adding Oathbringer stuff to an old theory without the [OB] tag, those must go in spoiler tags and you must make it obvious outside the spoiler tag that the spoiler is regarding Oathbringer content. 4. For select things that do require talking about OB spoilers, in Events, Coppermind, and Arcanum forums, those are allowed but keep OB spoilers in spoiler tags 5. Avoid and minimize spoilers in topic titles--even though those two boards will not appear in the Recent Topics ticker, topic titles still appear in Recent Activity and the forum home.  6. You aren't allowed to post Oathbringer spoilers in places other than listed, even with spoiler tags.  It will be nine months and then the Oathbringer board will be re-merged with the Stormlight board and you will not need to tag these spoilers. If you'd like to move something in the Stormlight Archive board to the Oathbringer board, to update it with new Oathbringer information, Report the post and we will happily move it to the Oathbringer spoiler board. Part-by-part Reactions Though the Oathbringer Spoiler Board will be very spoilery, very fast (maybe don't come there until you've read the book, as people do have copies that bookstores sold early), you'll have these five topics for reactions if you want to nerd out: Part 1 Reactions
      Part 2 Reactions
      Part 3 Reactions
      Part 4 Reactions
      Full Book Reactions For parts 1-4, they will not include the interludes immediately following it. On Discord All Oathbringer spoilers on Discord will be exclusively in the #oathbringer_spoilers channel for the nine month spoiler period and nowhere else.
sctfn

[OB] It lives!

29 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, Darvys said:

I didn't read fear in that passage, only disbelief and even anger. I recall reading somewhere ( book or WoB ? can't recall ) that Odium doesn't dare to invovlve himself too directly as it would leave him open to a strike from Cultivation, it's understandable that upon discovering that Honor's power was still a factor in the game, he'd want to pull away and rethink his position.

@Hoidonalsium Not even Hoid knows the answer to that, and you're asking us ?

If Honor's power was still in the game, and he just found this out, I'd say shrinking back was a pretty classic fear based reaction. 

And yes. Two possible explanations.

One - I'm still relatively new to the depths of the non-canon theories and the content of WoBs, so I'm still learning what the community cumulatively knows.

Or

Two - like my worldhopping namesake, I enjoy posing seemingly stupid questions that have unexpected depth, with the intent of inspiring, confusing or annoying people.

... Whichever reason suits you best :P

8 minutes ago, Hoidonalsium said:

If Honor's power was still in the game, and he just found this out, I'd say shrinking back was a pretty classic fear based reaction. 

Caution was the wiser course of action, i doubt Odium would have survived so long if he'd been reckless in his crusade.

9 minutes ago, Hoidonalsium said:

And yes. Two possible explanations.

One - I'm still relatively new to the depths of the non-canon theories and the content of WoBs, so I'm still learning what the community cumulatively knows.

Or

Two - like my worldhopping namesake, I enjoy posing seemingly stupid questions that have unexpected depth, with the intent of inspiring, confusing or annoying people.

... Whichever reason suits you best :P

I'll have to settle for the first, as the second would compel me to hunt you down and put an end to your taunting existence, one Hoid is enough for both universes i believe

1 minute ago, Darvys said:

Caution was the wiser course of action, i doubt Odium would have survived so long if he'd been reckless in his crusade.

I'll have to settle for the first, as the second would compel me to hunt you down and put an end to your taunting existence, one Hoid is enough for both universes i believe

I was reading the fear reaction / shrinking back as a real-time emotional outburst from the shardholder, rather than anything tactical. Sort of like a flinch, as his instincts realise the threat before any conscious actions / decisions are made.

Certainly Odium wouldn't generally behave recklessly. But we're talking about an instant where he is witness to something he thought impossible (whichever theory you ascribe to - Evi returning from Beyond, Dalinar reuniting Honor, Adonalsium still being alive in some form - he's seeing something where even the most stoic of gods would have to do a double-take). 

And yeah - fair point. Though I do love a good multi-layered cake...er...question. 

But in honesty - I really would love a thought or two on the Stormfather's weird rambling in that moment. Does it actually make sense in context with the scene we're reading, is it something weird and interesting about the white stone area he 'imagines', or is he actually speaking of something greater? 

10 minutes ago, Hoidonalsium said:

I was reading the fear reaction / shrinking back as a real-time emotional outburst from the shardholder, rather than anything tactical. Sort of like a flinch, as his instincts realise the threat before any conscious actions / decisions are made.

And yet his first action was stepping forward, in complete disbelief then he assessed and decided to pull back ( sure the scrambling part wasn't too dignified ). I have trouble seeing fear in that.

22 minutes ago, Hoidonalsium said:

Does it actually make sense in context with the scene we're reading, is it something weird and interesting about the white stone area he 'imagines', or is he actually speaking of something greater?

I don't have the knowledge to begin guessing. Who can say what kind of implications a being like the Stormfather spending millenia shaping such a place in his mind could have, as for how it could relate to Adonalsium's possible survival, if anything its chances would dwindle, as according to the Stormfather for the smaller pieces to live the whole must first die. And if as someone theorized the Shard's intents are the remanents of Adonalsium's consciousness, well i don't see how both could exist simultaneously. 

To start speculating on what reassembling the Shards would spawn, we'd need to first understand what Adonalsium was, which i don't think we do.