[OB] Similarity between Shallan and Shai?

Shardbound

Has anyone else noticed a similarity between Shallan's reliance on alternative personalities to cope with new and stressful situations and Shai's essence marks to create new histories for herself, psychologically both seem to use the same technique.

Control yourself, she told herself forcibly. Become someone who can deal with this.

She took a deep breath and let herself become someone else. An imitation of herself who was calm even in a situation like this. It was a crude forgery, just a trick of the mind, but it worked.

This is from Emperors New Soul but it could almost be Shallan's internal dialogue.

I wonder if Realmatically there is any similarity between Shallan's Lightweaving and Forgery.

Wow, that is a really interesting idea. When you think about it though, Lightweaving is about creating lies. Forgery is also about lies in a way, when you forge something you are rewriting it's history, but it is still just a lie. It seems that there could be some sort of connection between Lightweaving and forgery. I wonder what the greater Cosmere implications that could have?

Just to clarify, @Shardbound, would you like this topic to include Oathbringer discussion? If you do, I can move it to the spoiler board for you. In the main Stormlight Archive forum, it cannot include any Oathbringer spoilers, even if they are placed behind spoiler tags. Just let me know what you would like.

I've considered other similarities between Shallan's and Shai's methods of transformation. Specifically, how they each draw upon the history of an object - most notably for Shallan, when she convinced the Wind's Pleasure to transform early in WoR, by drawing on the ship's history with its crew. I think they are very similar magic systems indeed.

1 hour ago, Shardbound said:

Has anyone else noticed a similarity between Shallan's reliance on alternative personalities to cope with new and stressful situations and Shai's essence marks to create new histories for herself, psychologically both seem to use the same technique.

This is from Emperors New Soul but it could almost be Shallan's internal dialogue.

I wonder if Realmatically there is any similarity between Shallan's Lightweaving and Forgery.

Oh for sure, they are so similar and the characters are very similar but I think the main and important difference between these two magic systems is that where Shallan makes lies that can devieve others and even herself, there is no reality/experience tied to this. They are great works of creation but they are not like the re-writing of a persons soul or history like what Shai does eith soulstamping her own essence marks. But what if, as Shallan progresses through lightweaving AND, let's not forget, Soulcasting... what do you think that the result of this shall be? My guess is that as Shallan progresses through her oaths and becomes a full radiant saying all 5 of her truths... her lies will also become truth, and the histories she writes for herself (and possibly others) and there experiences will actually rewrite her soul (while infused with stormlight, to truly be that other person and have their experiences! This would give us something very like Shais Forging but powered by stormlight instead of soulstamps.

1 hour ago, Ookla The Idiot said:

Wow, that is a really interesting idea. When you think about it though, Lightweaving is about creating lies. Forgery is also about lies in a way, when you forge something you are rewriting it's history, but it is still just a lie. It seems that there could be some sort of connection between Lightweaving and forgery. I wonder what the greater Cosmere implications that could have?

Good questions my friend. I guess we will all just have to RAFO

• Chaos locked this topic