[OB] Worldhopping and Highstorms

EC11

So at one point the Stormfather says that a Highstorm is a confluence of Honor's power from the Cognitive, Spiritual, and Physical realm. This (to me at least) begs the question; can someone use that power to worldhop during a Highstorm? If so, that would make for some exciting meta-cosmere chase scenes.

20 minutes ago, EC11 said:

So at one point the Stormfather says that a Highstorm is a confluence of Honor's power from the Cognitive, Spiritual, and Physical realm. This (to me at least) begs the question; can someone use that power to worldhop during a Highstorm? If so, that would make for some exciting meta-cosmere chase scenes.

If that were possible, our cast in their adventure would have been able to use the Highstorms to cross over, rather than having to trek hundreds of miles to the Oathgate, so I doubt they function as a perpendicularity. It may be that the Highstorms are only an access to the Spiritual Realm's power, as they do recharge spheres.

1 hour ago, EC11 said:

From what he says, it totally does feel like this would be possible, but since we’ve never seen that it does, I thought about it a different. 

I think you could use the analogy that a highstorm acts like rain. Rain (Investiture) falls from the clouds (Spiritual Realm) and passes through the air (Cognitive Realm) before finally splashing to the ground (Physical Realm). The power passes through all three Realms, but each is still seperate from each other. A Perpendicularity is where all 3 Realms are united into one. Of course, this analogy doesn’t quite work, either, because AFAIK spheres can’t recharge in Shadesmar... so maybe my analogy is somewhat right, maybe it’s totally wrong. 

2 hours ago, Ookla the Effervescent said:

If that were possible, our cast in their adventure would have been able to use the Highstorms to cross over, rather than having to trek hundreds of miles to the Oathgate, so I doubt they function as a perpendicularity. It may be that the Highstorms are only an access to the Spiritual Realm's power, as they do recharge spheres.

It seems many step into Shadesmar by accident on occasion, but that might be more from Cultivation's touch. However, Dalinar was able to summon Honor's perpendicularity, so that could mean that before this is moved around in the Highstorms. This is a a theory mind you, but since it is a meeting of power from the three realms I'm willing to bet someone could take advantage of it to travel between worlds. The Everstorm does something similar, bringing the Voidspren from Braize. So my thoughts are it stands to reason that a Highstorm could do the same thing.

2 hours ago, zabracks said:

Initial gut feeling is yes. It was stated that Honor's perpendicularity moves around somewhat unpredictably compared to Cultivation's.

My feeling is that since the Everstorm acts in a similar way to bring the Voidspren, a Highstorm could act that way to aid in jumping between worlds.

19 minutes ago, EC11 said:

It seems many step into Shadesmar by accident on occasion, but that might be more from Cultivation's touch. However, Dalinar was able to summon Honor's perpendicularity, so that could mean that before this is moved around in the Highstorms. This is a a theory mind you, but since it is a meeting of power from the three realms I'm willing to bet someone could take advantage of it to travel between worlds. The Everstorm does something similar, bringing the Voidspren from Braize. So my thoughts are it stands to reason that a Highstorm could do the same thing.

Relevant WoB:

Questioner

Is there any way it's possible that somebody could have gotten to the Cognitive Realm on Scadrial without the Well of Ascension?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Questioner

And can we know how?

Brandon Sanderson

Well, how many Shardpools would Scadrial have?

Questioner

Two, so the Pits of Hathsin would be so? That's what I theorized.

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. So you've adopted the term "Shardpool". That was never really my term, but I've started using it. What happens with a Perpendicularity is large concentrations of Investiture, particularly purely attuned to one of the Shards, will create an access point. You've seen another one in--

Questioner

Yeah, yeah I know these.

Brandon Sanderson

You know which one I'm referencing?

Questioner

Yes.

Brandon Sanderson

That you didn't see a Pool from?

Questioner

Oh wait--

Brandon Sanderson

Okay, he knows, so… We'll move on. *general outcry* Okay, fine. Umm, at the end of Words of Radiance.

Argent

There has to be one there because Jasnah has to leave somehow, right?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, but Honor's Perpendicularity moves.

Questioner

Woah...so...Highstorm?

Brandon Sanderson

*makes non-committal noises*

Questioner 2

Kind of related to that, I don't know if this is a RAFO kind of question, but you call them Perpendicularities, are we going to see this sort of thing created? Could there be, like--

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah, Perpendicularities can be created. You'd need a lot of Investiture, right? You'd need a ton of Investiture. But, basically what Jasnah does is create a little mini Perpendicularity, right? And slips herself into the Cognitive Realm.

Questioner 2

So it's just a question of skill, not a question of--

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah. It's hard to pull off, but some of the powers are built to do it.

So according to this, Jasnah had to exit Shadesmar by using a Perpendicularity. Yet, there was no Highstorm. I think Honor's Perpendicularity has to do with something else. I do like the general idea of the Storms being something, but I don't think it's a typical Perpendicularity.

What if the highstorm is not the perpendicularity, but the clouds are? When Taln comes back, he is dropped from the sky. Azure said there are other ways to get back to the PR, but that way is too dangerous and she was not willing to try. Perhaps that way is dangerous to people not able to fly, because they will drop from the sky.

Or the perpendicularity can be on the blue moon. Which moves, and is in the sky. And the moon-queen switching story.

• Chaos locked this topic