The Dulas are Canadians, Eh?

Just reading the Elantris Annotations for the first time, and I noticed this from the Chapter 4 Annotations:

When I was coming up with Galladon's character, I realized I would need a set of linguistic features that would reinforce his culture's relaxed nature. So, I went with smooth-sounds, and gave their dialect a very "chatty" feel. The Dula habit of calling everyone "friend" came from this–as did their habit of softening everything they say with a question tag. Linguistically, questions are less antagonistic than statements, and I figured a culture like the Dula one would be all about not antagonizing people.

This immediately made me think of my own culture (Canadian). "Kolo" is used a lot like we use the word "Eh". That tendency to turn things into a question is also quite common in Canada, if not always to the Dula level. And our over-use of the word "sorry" certainly ties in well with that idea of not antagonizing people. I mean, we landed right beside one of the most antagonistic countries around (sorry America, but it's true) so there is also that comparison of being a small country where we try to make friends with everyone because we can't afford any enemies. Need I go on?

So, here's the theory: When Brandon was trying to figure out how create the Dula culture, he just grabbed a couple of towns from Alberta and Sacatchewan, dropped them on Sel and waited to see what they'd do. They naturally started a democracy and started farming while reading books. I mean, we're Canadians!!!! I just wish it had been my town.

On a more serious note, I am definitely planning on asking Brandon if he based the Dula cutlure on Canadian culture next time I see him.

Edited by Brightlord Maelstrom

• Chaos locked this topic