[OB] Vivenna is married to Susebron

user613

“We have arrived, Vessel,” the man said. “As soon as we enter the building, you will be prepared and taken to your husband.”

“Husband?” Siri asked uncomfortably. “Won’t there be a wedding ceremony?”

The priest smirked. “The God King does not need ceremonial justification. You became his wife the moment he desired it.”

Siri wasn't originally supposed to marry Susebron.  That was Vivenna.  If Susebron at some point "desired" that Vivenna marry him, then she might legally be his wife under Hallandren law.  (We have no information about polygamy or divorce in Hallandren.)

That might cause her trouble when she tries to take a shardblade away from an order of Knights led by someone devoted to the law.

I don't know. According to this, I might say that Susebron was still a bachelor for a while after Siri arrived, seeing as how he didn't have a say in the treaty or anything. He never desired Vivenna, so she isn't married.

17 hours ago, Sol Invictus said:

...then again, ancient kings in the real world often had a whole bunch of wives, not just one.

....granted, I seriously doubt this is the case.

I agree, but a lawyer might be able to make a case for it.  With Nale you don't get a defense attorney.

There's also the issue of Susebron being GodKing. Try telling him that he isn't married to his wife and he may not agree with you. Explaining legal fine print to a man who's title is God King probably won't get you very far.

Similar issue with Dalinar getting married in Oathbringer. If the remnant of Honor's power preforms the ceremony, who is going to argue with him? 

Random Ardent: "Stormfather, I don't think you have the right to do that." 

Stormfather: "YOU ARE WRONG"

16 minutes ago, Torchwood17 said:

Also, by the end of Warbreaker its pretty clear that Susebron and Siri have some feelings for each other so why would Susebron go and marry Vivenna?

Oh, I agree Vivenna and Susebron are likely not married. I was just playing Devil’s advocate, earlier!

42 minutes ago, Torchwood17 said:

Also, by the end of Warbreaker its pretty clear that Susebron and Siri have some feelings for each other so why would Susebron go and marry Vivenna?

Of course he wouldn't intentionally.  My point was that if he "desired" the marriage to happen before he found out they were sending Siri, they might be legally married, even if neither of them know it.

The only way this would ever come up is if Nale wants something to use against Vivenna.

• Chaos locked this topic