[OB] Renarin's Healing

Naurock

@RShara no, I was referring to his battle with the Thunderclast. He got crushed and he shrugged it off like a toddler hit him with a feather. Adolin even said he seemed to heal faster than anyone else. I'm throwing stuff out there because Brandon doesn't say add stuff like that flippantly. He always has a reason.

1 minute ago, Naurock said:

@RShara no, I was referring to his battle with the Thunderclast. He got crushed and he shrugged it off like a toddler hit him with a feather. Adolin even said he seemed to heal faster than anyone else. I'm throwing stuff out there because Brandon doesn't say add stuff like that flippantly. He always has a reason.

I stand corrected :)

How many people has Adolin seen healed, though?  The arrow straight through Shallan's head, and Jasnah stabbed through the heart are pretty horrible injuries too.  Kaladin healed enough to stay alive (from being beaten to a pulp by man and highstorm) with just one sphere worth of Stormlight.

I think you are onto something though. Lift heals a LOT slower than Renarin does. Also, he is explicitly noted as being crushed by the thunderclast. This may be in a chapter of questionable canonicity, but didn't Jasnah say that a crushing blow to the head would be enough to kill a radiant with stormlight? Based on the description, it seems like Renarin was damaged a LOT more than that but ended up fine. There may be something here.

Also, can I just gush about Renarin further and say he is possibly one of the most physically and mentally resilient characters in the series? Most Radiants can hold a dead blades for a few seconds before dropping it, but Renarin managed to keep one in close proximity for a WEEK to bond it as well as holding it with little more than a wince and a grimace. Even Dalinar couldn't hold one for long. That, and he just shrugs off being crushed. The closest comparison we have is Kaladin being hit by the giant club, and that nearly knocked him out. Renarin just kept going like nothing happened. He's the best!

14 minutes ago, RShara said:

I stand corrected :)

How many people has Adolin seen healed, though?  The arrow straight through Shallan's head, and Jasnah stabbed through the heart are pretty horrible injuries too.  Kaladin healed enough to stay alive (from being beaten to a pulp by man and highstorm) with just one sphere worth of Stormlight.

You do point out amazing feats of healing, but in both Shallan's and Jasnah's case they healed around the weapon until it was removed. Kaladin was pretty much dead and one tiny sphere brought him back, but if I remember correctly he slept for several days afterwards and had death spren circling him.

For a second there with Shallan I was legitimately worried a crossbow bolt to the head would possibly kill her, but as I kept reading my doubts were unfounded.

You're right that Adolin doesn't exactly have a great baseline for watching healing, but in the duel for shards Kaladin broke his legs and still needed time before he could stand. Against Amaram he needed time to heal he ankles. As @Ookla the Feathered And @Ookla, the Incalculable it is probably just because of Progression but I have trouble letting it go that his spren is different and Brandon is sneaky and likes to drop hidden descriptions like this to expand on later.

Lift has never really had a ton of stormlight so its possible if she were to eat a ton of food and convert it into stormlight she would be able to use progression on her self to heal significantly faster at the cost of stormlight. Renarin used up most of his large supply of stormlight Dalinar gave him just recovering from from the injuries the Thunderclast gave him so this sort of rapid healing is clearly very expensive. Its also possible that this healing requires an active use of the progression surge and Lift just is not familiar enough with the surge to use it in this way. 

As to Kaladin in the highstorm: yes, he had one sphere, but remember, it was in the middle of a highstorm. That would mean that the sphere was gaining stormlight as fast as he was draining it, similar to how he can ride a highstorm to go further than normal. As a result, while still significant, it's made more realistic by the constant recharging.

I thought Renarin was pointing his sword straight up at the Thunderclast's fist in that scene. I'd have to re-read it, but I got the impression that his Shardblade pierced the Thunderclast's fist and he emerged through the opening that the blade created. Sure he would've taken damage in that moment, but the Shardblade seemed to take the brunt of the impact. 

31 minutes ago, Naurock said:

You do point out amazing feats of healing, but in both Shallan's and Jasnah's case they healed around the weapon until it was removed. Kaladin was pretty much dead and one tiny sphere brought him back, but if I remember correctly he slept for several days afterwards and had death spren circling him.

For a second there with Shallan I was legitimately worried a crossbow bolt to the head would possibly kill her, but as I kept reading my doubts were unfounded.

You're right that Adolin doesn't exactly have a great baseline for watching healing, but in the duel for shards Kaladin broke his legs and still needed time before he could stand. Against Amaram he needed time to heal he ankles. As @Ookla the Feathered And @Ookla, the Incalculable it is probably just because of Progression but I have trouble letting it go that his spren is different and Brandon is sneaky and likes to drop hidden descriptions like this to expand on later.

Right, but he only had one sphere of Stormlight the whole time, until Teft brought him a couple.  Renarin had tons available to him.  Kaladin, during the duel with Amaram, was in the process of breaking his oath, so we don't know how much that would have affected his ability to heal.

21 minutes ago, FuzzyWordsmith said:

As to Kaladin in the highstorm: yes, he had one sphere, but remember, it was in the middle of a highstorm. That would mean that the sphere was gaining stormlight as fast as he was draining it, similar to how he can ride a highstorm to go further than normal. As a result, while still significant, it's made more realistic by the constant recharging.

Also, at this point, Kaladin hadn't even spoken the first Ideal yet, so his use of Stormlight would have been pretty preliminary and instinctive.  Renarin has progressed at least past the First Ideal, so he'd use Stormlight much more efficiently.

And I agree that his use of Progression likely helps that along quite a bit.

15 minutes ago, FuzzyWordsmith said:

That not exactly how that scene read. 

“There he saw what he’d expected and what he’d feared. The corpse looked like a hunk of slaughterhouse meat, skinned and bled. Was that a person? Kaladin’s skin was sliced in a hundred places, dribbles of blood mixing with rainwater running down the side of the building. The lad’s body still hung by the ankles. His shirt had been ripped off; his bridgeman trousers were ragged. Ironically, his face was cleaner now than when they’d left him, washed by the storm.

“Teft had seen enough dead men on the battlefield to know what he was looking at. Poor lad, he thought, shaking his head as the rest of Bridge Four gathered around him and Rock, quiet, horrified. You almost made me believe in you.
Kaladin’s eyes snapped open.
The gathered bridgemen gasped, several cursing and falling to the ground, splashing in the pools of rainwater. Kaladin drew in a ragged breath, wheezing, eyes staring forward, intense and unseeing. He exhaled, blowing flecks of bloody spittle out over his lips. His hand, hanging below him, slipped open.
Something dropped to the stones. The sphere Teft had given him.”

Excerpt From: Sanderson, Brandon. “The Way of Kings.” 

Also, I just reread Envisagers chapter and on. Teft put 3 more chips in Kaladin's hand to help him heal, but he still was out for 10 days. And he describes being surrounded by death spren because of the lacerations, hypothermia, broken bones, layers of skin missing, head trauma and the list goes on.

Well, yes. I may have not explained properly. What I meant is that him not healing as much makes sense because he had access to less Stormlight. I was not trying to use that situation as a baseline, I meant to show that he had Stormlight, but on the lower end of the healing scale. I probably just didn't say it clearly in that case.

6 minutes ago, Naurock said:

That not exactly how that scene read. 

Also, I just reread Envisagers chapter and on. Teft put 3 more chips in Kaladin's hand to help him heal, but he still was out for 10 days. And he describes being surrounded by death spren because of the lacerations, hypothermia, broken bones, layers of skin missing, head trauma and the list goes on.

Yeah, I meant to mention, the sphere seems to only have recharged the one time, while the Stormfather was there. 

So Kaladin, without having sworn the First Ideal, only managed a little bit of healing from 4 chips' worth of Stormlight, and whatever else Teft managed to get to him.

Renarin's sworn at least the First Ideal, and possibly the Second or even Third? (no proof, no), and is surrounded by tons of Stormlight.  Presumably, the Thaylenar treasury held only broams and bigger, and they (and Renarin) might have been supercharged by Dalinar.

Edited by RShara

Barring corruption weirdness interfering, Renarin is most likely past his third oath, because he has a spren blade. Note that when comparing to Lift, what we saw in her epigraph chapter was her very first major use of Regrowth and she was just at her second Ideal. By the time Renarin gets squished, he's been practicing with Regrowth extensively and had likely had far more experience in using it. It makes sense that his would work better than Lift's right now, not because he's innately more powerful, but because he's practiced.

1 hour ago, RShara said:

Kaladin, during the duel with Amaram, was in the process of breaking his oath,

Am I the only one who is confused here?

Also, for the general conversation: I suspect that here Renarin is using both the standard Stormlight healing as well as Regrowth. Again, the Ideals difference between him and Lift, as well as her limited access to stormlight explain why there is so much difference. Experience would also play a part.

Plus, if anything, I suspect that the corrupted spren would be more likely to be less effective than more effective. I mean, it twisted the scrying abilities to make them prophetic. Maybe it also ends up twisting his other abilities? If so, it won't be in positive ways (being stronger) so much as in different ways (not behaving normally.)

• Chaos locked this topic