Straw

Which godmetal name is better?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Which godmetal name is better?

• Raysium
    • Odiumium

6 hours ago, Nathrangking said:

cephandriusium

Actually, if you are following Latin forms, I'm fairly sure that would be Cephandrium. The "-ius" becomes "-ium" not "-iusium".

And yea, it's based on the name of the Vessel, not the name of the Shard. The exception being Harmonium, and just because no one wants to argue with the guy who is literally the most powerful being (raw power wise) in the Cosmere (to our knowledge.)

4 minutes ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Wouldn’t it actually be Midium for Hoid?  (And HOW did Shallash know that name?!?!)

You know, I now have a strong worry that Liar is completely non-canon now and that Midius is just another alias of Hoid, as opposed to his real name. If it isn't an alias, then that has to mean he used his real name with the heralds. Whatever it is, it proves that Hoid was on speaking terms with the Heralds, enough to call each other by name.

I actually would not be surprised if it was both.

Spoiler

Based on ‘Liar’ Midius takes up the name Hoid and continues using it thereafter. This is likely still cannon, as Hoid has implied these events occurred. 

But time passes. No one knows ‘Hoid’ was ever known as Midius, or even that there ever was a person by that name. So eventually he uses his own name as an alias. It’s gone from being his real name to being as much a lie as the others.

Alternatively, Tanavast -or Rayse or both - could have known his name was Midius, and told the heralds. 

I like my first reason better though.

3 minutes ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

I actually would not be surprised if it was both.

Reveal hidden contents

Based on ‘Liar’ Midius takes up the name Hoid and continues using it thereafter. This is likely still cannon, as Hoid has implied these events occurred. 

But time passes. No one knows ‘Hoid’ was ever known as Midius, or even that there ever was a person by that name. So eventually he uses his own name as an alias. It’s gone from being his real name to being as much a lie as the others.

Alternatively, Tanavast -or Rayse or both - could have known his name was Midius, and told the heralds. 

I like my first reason better though.

One question then: Where does Cephandrius come in? Obviously at least two groups of people know him by that name.

Edited by Brightlord Maelstrom

Another alias.

I actually checked, and WoB is Cephandrius is closer to his original name than Hoid; is less alias than long term identity; he was also known as Topaz at the same time; it was one of his first aliases. So Cephandrius is not his real name.

However we don’t know the status of Midius yet.

Edited by Kingsdaughter613

7 minutes ago, Ookla the Indefatigable said:

You're all assuming that Midius was actually his real name...

As far as I can tell from Liar, that was his real name.  Whether it will be when his books are written is a different story, of course!

I'm not sure we will ever know Hoid true name until and unless we see a scene with him in his childhood at a time when he is either too young to be using an alias, or someone trustworthy who would have known him since birth is using it has his name. Like his mother for example.

Personally, I wouldn't mind if it stayed one of the mysteries of the Cosmere, doomed to never be revealed.

Edited by Brightlord Maelstrom

• 1 month later...