[OB] How do the Fused get Voidlight?

eltari

I think the size of their gem hearts limits their voidlight expenditure.

In the Battle for Thaylen City both Kal and Szeth comment that the fused are more skilled with surges than they are no doubt due to centuries of practice. 

Kal also mentions they cant accelerate as fast as he can, probably due to not having enough voidlight at any one time to pile lashings on top of each other like Kaladin does.

So fused have more skill and never run out of Voidlight but Radiants can use more at once as long as they have the gems/Dalinar available.

Edited by Jace21

My $0.02: I think that the Fused were quite overpowered in OB because Odium was playing a no-holds-barred game. As Vargo mentions in their meeting, Odium has agreed to a contest of champions and now must act through his agents. I assume this means that things like a stationary Everstorm during battles are on hold. Fused probably won't have unlimited voidlight during battle anymore. I also assume that there will be similar restrictions on Dalinar generating a perpendicularity during battle.

On 11/26/2017 at 8:40 PM, kaellok said:

Air superiority is the primary way that the US military controls a battlefield.  The enemy has done a fairly poor job of this so far, but even so it has enabled them to completely change the nature and course of battles.  It's implied that the battle for Kholinar was largely a one-sided rout because of the fliers, while it would have been a much more even engagement without them (even given the thunderclasts would have ensured their victory, if they only had ground troops it would have been bloody and costly).

And this is the meta reason that Nale and the majority of the Skybreakers are siding with Odium. If all the flying Radiants sided with the good guys, future battles would be pretty lopsided. And to preemptively respond the argument that "all the Radiants fought for the good guys in the past," I'd argue that previous battles were pretty lopsided in favor of the Heralds and Radiants. I mean, there was less than a year in between the last two Desolations, and yet 9 of the 10 Heralds managed to survive the final Desolation.

15 hours ago, Exalted Dungeon Master said:

What about the one that Moash stabbed that failed to heal from the spear wound? He noted that Kaladin would have healed from something like that, and we've seen Fused heal at other points in Oathbringer, so did she just not have to ability, or was she out of Voidlight?

Don't have my book on hand, but isn't it possible that he stabbed Leshwi in her gemheart? I think Kaladin did the same when defending the wall in Kholinar. If we assume that singers/Fused store Investiture in their gemhearts, we can also assume that cracking or shattering the gemheart will result in an immediate loss of most or all stored Investiture.

1 hour ago, Salkara said:

Don't have my book on hand, but isn't it possible that he stabbed Leshwi in her gemheart? I think Kaladin did the same when defending the wall in Kholinar. If we assume that singers/Fused store Investiture in their gemhearts, we can also assume that cracking or shattering the gemheart will result in an immediate loss of most or all stored Investiture.

As far as I can see, stabbing a Fuzed in the gemheart kills the Fuzed instantly. At least, that's what Kaladin's experience at Kholinar would imply.

On 11/27/2017 at 9:06 AM, Varenus said:

If I remember correctly one of the Fused states to Venli that their greatest warriors have yet to "wake up", so i'm not so sure that its a matter of hosts, but rather that there are more Fused still on Braize. Also, the hosts have to be willing participants and the regular parshpeople did not seem too keen on fighting just yet. That's why they need Venli to spread propaganda. 

I think the greatest warriors may have been referring to the thunderclasts?

8 hours ago, Salkara said:

I mean, there was less than a year in between the last two Desolations, and yet 9 of the 10 Heralds managed to survive the final Desolation.

In their defense, they all seemed to be fighting not to go back to Braize. I'd be a pretty defensive fighter too if I knew what was waiting for me when I died.

• 3 weeks later...

Remember this from The Way of Kings prologue?

Holding his breath, he clung to the Stormlight. He could still feel it leaking out. Stormlight could be held for only a short time, a few minutes at most. It leaked away, the human body too porous a container. He had heard that the Voidbringers could hold it in perfectly.

They probably can hold it in their gemhearts. Some gemhearts might even be perfect gemstones, so they can hold on to the Light indefinitely.

Edited by Xaladin
grammar

On 12/14/2017 at 4:15 PM, Xaladin said:

Remember this from The Way of Kings prologue?

Holding his breath, he clung to the Stormlight. He could still feel it leaking out. Stormlight could be held for only a short time, a few minutes at most. It leaked away, the human body too porous a container. He had heard that the Voidbringers could hold it in perfectly.

On 12/14/2017 at 5:27 PM, Ookla the Altruist said:

My suspicion is that they can hold Voidlight indefinitely, but they can't hold much of it. Compared to a Human who can hold a lot more but runs out.

WoB's. Read them.

Brandon Sanderson
Yeah, yeah like the cycle of water. And so just part of the way the nature of it works, it has to get out, it has to leak out, it has to run out. I mean it leaks even from spheres, right?

Argent
And when you lash things it's temporary--

Brandon Sanderson
Yep. And even though Szeth says that he thought Voidbringers could hold it they can't. Like it is just not the way that it works.

Argent
Can they just hold it better?

Brandon Sanderson
They can hold it better. It's not permanent. Now there are things that can do it permanently but--

• Chaos locked this topic