[OB] The Future of Taravangian

theRoyalDingus

There are many smaller, more specific topics concerning aspects of Taravangian, including his capacity to save mankind, loopholes in his deal with Odium, and such. However, I wish to broaden our view of him, which is what this topic is for. I wish to ask the question, "How will Taravangian influence everything?" What is his role in the future? He has been shown to be a very important character, and I think he will certainly continue to be such.

Some starter ideas:

Taravangian is already old. How much time does he have left? Can he find a way to extend his life?

Will he end up siding with Dalinar in the end?

Will he ever affect any other worlds?

I just thought it might be cool to see different ideas, even if they're all a bit wonky, so there's that. I put the [OB] in front just in case.

Edited by Krypton Savant

Seeing as we're in Cosmere Theories, my response goes here... 

OB Spoilers! 

Spoiler

Taravangian has capitulated. Apparently, that was his goal from the start. Create a position of power and negotiate a deal with Odium. 

Obviously this didn't go as planned. 

OR DID IT!?! 

The Diagram has, inadvertently, aided Dalinar every step of the way. The chaos created by Taravangian's use of Szeth directly set up the grounds for Dalinar to create his coalition. 

The release of information to undermine him led to the events in Thaylen Field. 

Since the beginning, I have believed that the Diagram is the work of Cultivation. It's methods reek of her intent. After seeing what she did with Dalinar's boon, I'm sure that Taravangian is being manipulated in a similar manner, for a different reason. 

Dalinar was manipulated to be able to resist Odium and possibly reform the Shard of Honor. Taravangian... Is being set up to undermine Odium from the inside. 

In Taravangian's meeting with Odium, the Diagram is laid large, and yet Odium is blind to certain aspects of it. There is nothing that can convince me a Shard can be blinded to the written word without either another shards involvement, or circumstances such as seen with metal in Mistborn, which to our knowledge do not exist on Roshar. 

So as I see it, Cultivation now has a pawn placed inside Odium's circle. Odium believes that Taravangian will be working for him, and he has no reason to doubt this as Taravangian believes it himself. I will be completely unsurprised though, if in short order, the Diagram gets an update. 

It's new direction will seem to work towards helping Odium achieve his goals. It will, unfortunately, slightly diverge from its apparent goals, and as with the previous outcomes, work in The Radiants favor. 

Cultivation is subtle. She is the web weaver, all about the long con. Taravangian is her trump card, and his role as Odium's human servant has given him the "capacity" to save the world. Exactly like he asked for. 

Edited by Calderis

I have two theories on why Odium couldnt see Renarin in the Diagram 

1. Odium is blind to people using his power of forsight. He cant see what others will do with his power, or something like that involving forsight. WOB that each shard is blind to something. 

2. Mr.T managed to weite certain parts of the diagram in aliminium, or with something else that blocks odium from reading it. Mt.T may have figured out Odium’s blind spot. 

On 23/11/2017 at 0:48 AM, Calderis said:

Seeing as we're in Cosmere Theories, my response goes here... 

OB Spoilers! 

Hide contents

Taravangian has capitulated. Apparently, that was his goal from the start. Create a position of power and negotiate a deal with Odium. 

Obviously this didn't go as planned. 

OR DID IT!?! 

The Diagram has, inadvertently, aided Dalinar every step of the way. The chaos created by Taravangian's use of Szeth directly set up the grounds for Dalinar to create his coalition. 

The release of information to undermine him led to the events in Thaylen Field. 

Since the beginning, I have believed that the Diagram is the work of Cultivation. It's methods reek of her intent. After seeing what she did with Dalinar's boon, I'm sure that Taravangian is being manipulated in a similar manner, for a different reason. 

Dalinar was manipulated to be able to resist Odium and possibly reform the Shard of Honor. Taravangian... Is being set up to undermine Odium from the inside. 

In Taravangian's meeting with Odium, the Diagram is laid large, and yet Odium is blind to certain aspects of it. There is nothing that can convince me a Shard can be blinded to the written word without either another shards involvement, or circumstances such as seen with metal in Mistborn, which to our knowledge do not exist on Roshar. 

So as I see it, Cultivation now has a pawn placed inside Odium's circle. Odium believes that Taravangian will be working for him, and he has no reason to doubt this as Taravangian believes it himself. I will be completely unsurprised though, if in short order, the Diagram gets an update. 

It's new direction will seem to work towards helping Odium achieve his goals. It will, unfortunately, slightly diverge from its apparent goals, and as with the previous outcomes, work in The Radiants favor. 

Cultivation is subtle. She is the web weaver, all about the long con. Taravangian is her trump card, and his role as Odium's human servant has given him the "capacity" to save the world. Exactly like he asked for. 

really like this theory. That makes a lot of sense, actually. It explains why Cultivation would trick them, and why Dalinar surprised Odium.

• Chaos locked this topic