Oathbringer P4 - Flying vs Walking

Ramandi

So, I was reading CH 122, and realized that I couldn't make sense of the idea that they had to walk to conserve Stormlight here. By my back-of-the-napkin calculations, they could have easily covered more ground with about 6 secs' worth of Stormlight than three days of very fast walking.

Further, since they had already flown (fallen) most of the way, they would have needed even less to just keep falling for a few more seconds before Lashing back to the ground.

Am I missing something here?

Spoiler

Are you referring to the bit where Kaladin goes to find Drehy and Skar at the beginning of the chapter? I don't think it was only to save stormlight. Kaladin needed to see local landmarks that had been given to him by people on the ground. They would see things differently and had given him instructions to follow that they had written from an on-foot perspective. He also wants to be sure that he didn't completely run out  over the cliffs as even that would be hard-pressed to heal from if he did  run out of stormlight. He has traveled a really long way from where he started by this point.

Edited by PhineasGage
added spoiler tag

@Ramandi Ok so this is because they want the stormlight to make sure they can work the oathgate - they don't know what they are going to face and whether they will need to fight or how long it might take to get back to the physical realm. On top of that, even if they get through, Kaladin thinks he is going to have to save Dalinar in the near future - which he'll need stormlight for. They have relatively little on them because it doesn't last as long on Shadesmar side as in the physical realm. Beyond that, they likely don't exactly know how long it will take them to get there on either foot or by flying. Bear in mind that Shallan is going to slow them down walking which neither Adolin nor Kaladin probably took into account.

Also, 'narrativium' :). 

I agree that they needed to conserve for... Honor knows what in the future, it just seemed a bit of shaky logic to use whatever they did to get partway, then walk the rest, when it would have literally only taken a few seconds more falling to get the rest of the way there. I mean, it's not like they had one of Navani's wrist clocks to judge the flight time within seconds anyway, lol. Had they just flown for a while, then decided to walk to save Stormlight, that would be more reasonable, but they actually planned to walk partway before leaving the ship!

Oh well, not a big deal in the long run, of course. Just caught my attention when I was thinking about how fast they'd accelerate when fall-flying!

Narativium indeed. Certainly the most important and powerful force in the Cosmere. =)

• Chaos locked this topic