Best Cosmere Quotes

MacThorstenson

Here we go! More to come (eventually)

WARBREAKER:

'"Make a note to have my imagination flogged for its insolence in showing me that particular sight."'- Lightsong, page 58

'"I try to avoid having thoughts. They lead to other thoughts, and- if you're not careful- those lead to actions. Actions make you tired. I have this on rather good authority from someone who once read it in a book."'- Lightsong, page 84

'"My dear Lifeblesser," Lightsong replied, "please trust me when I say that I have no desire to know any secrets which involve you and a privy."'- Lightsong, page 228

'Yet she was beginning to think that she- along with many others- had taken this belief too far, letting her desire to seem humble become a form of pride itself. She now saw that when her faith had become about clothing instead of people, it had taken a wrong turn.'-Vivenna, page 501

WAY OF KINGS

'But wine was the great assassin of both tradition and propriety'- Szeth, page 21

'But expectations were like fine pottery. The harder you held them, the more likely they were to crack.'- Shallan, page 61

'"Strength does not make one capable of rule; it makes one capable of service."'- Teft, page 831

'"Death is the end of all men!" Dalinar bellowed. "What is the measure of him once he is gone? The wealth he accumulated and left for his heirs to squabble over? The glory he obtained, only to be passed on to those who slew him? The lofty positions he held through happenstance? No. We fight here because we understand. The end is the same. It is the path that separates men. When we taste the end, we will do so with our heads held high, eyes to the sun." He held out a hand, summoning Oathbringer. "I am not ashamed of what I have become," he shouted, and found it to be true. It felt so strange to be free of guilt. "Other men may debase themselves to destroy me. Let them have their glory. For I will retain mine?"'- Dalinar, page 908

ALLOY OF LAW

'"It is lucky. I ain't never died while wearing that hat."'- Wayne, page 125

'"That's the smell of incredibleness," Wayne called from the inside.'- Wayne, page 176

'"The ways of Wayne are mysterious and incomprehensible," Wayne said. "What he giveth, he can draw back unto himself. And lo, let it be written, and pondered."'- Wayne, page 225

SHADOWS OF SELF

'... you should know better than to assume everyone dangerous to be a male.'- Harmony, page 131

'"Owning things of value is secondary to creating things of value where none once existed."'- Wax, page 143

'"You put dynamite in the oven, Wayne.""Gotta hide a gift where nobody'll look for it."'- Wax and Wayne, page 271

BANDS OF MOURNING

'Holding you brain hostage against your own stupidity- that was how to get stuff done.'- Wayne, page 45

'If you had to shoot a man, society had already failed.'- Marasi, page 95

'"What kind of eldritch device," Steris said,"has an on switch?"'- Steris, page 219

Edited by HipsterStick

Life before death

Strength before weakness

Journey before destination 

Spoiler

I will protect those I hate. Even if the one I hate most is myself.

I will take responsibility for what I have done. If I must fall, I will rise each time a better man.

These are just the ones off the top of my head...

"Perhaps it is the absolute value of the emotion that matters, rather than the positive or negative nature of the emotion" (Lightsong on experiencing stuff as an immortal)

"What do you know?”
“Almost everything. That almost part can be a real kick in the teeth sometimes.”
“What do you want, then?”
“What I can’t have.” Wit turned to him, eyes solemn. “Same as everyone else, Kaladin Stormblessed.” (Hoid in WoR)

"I like visiting people in prison. I can say whatever I like about them, and they can't do anything about it" (Hoid again. Duh.)

"Lightsong, what in the name of You are you talking about?" (Blushweaver after Lightsong points out that they are gods and so the standard phrase is irrelevant)

"Nonsense. Balderdash. Figgldygrak. Isn't it odd that gibberish words are often the sounds of other words, cut up and dismembered, then stitched into something like them—yet wholly unlike them at the same time? I wonder if you could do that to a man. Pull him apart, emotion by emotion, bit by bit, bloody chunk by bloody chunk. Then combine them back together into something else, like a Dysian Aimian. If you do put a man together like that, Dalinar, be sure to name him Gibberish, after me. Or perhaps Gibletish."

(okay, I looked that one up)(Hoid again)

*Hoid's entire speech on the values of mankind in the end of WoR*

*Literally every footnote in Allomancer Jak*

"I am a stick." I can probably think of others, but I don't have any books on me. These may not be entirely accurate.

"Brightness... I believe you stray into sarcasm." "Funny. I thought I'd run straight into it, screaming at the top of my lungs."

[Amaram offers to shake Wits hand] "I wouldn't want it to rub off on me." "It?" "Whatever you've been using to make your hands appear clean, Brightlord Amaram. It must be powerful stuff indeed." [Slightly later, Amaram has a look of befuddlement] "You're very good at that expression. A great deal of practice, I presume?"

A few of my favorite

Passionate, with an intense smoldering resolve. A leashed anger that he used, because he had dominated it. And a certain tempting arrogance. Not the haughty pride of a highlord, instead, the secure, stable sense of determination that whispered that no matter who you were- or what you did-you could not hurt him. Could not change him. He was. Like the wind and rocks were. 

The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think but to give you questions to think upon.

Definitely not—you optimists just can't understand that a depressed person doesn't want you to try and cheer them up. It makes us sick.

A few of my favorites:

"I can't even get him to acknowledge the theological paradox it causes when I try to tempt him to do evil."

"Never move without asking yourself, is this too easy?"

"What is it we value? Innovation. Originality. Novelty. But most importantly...timeliness. I fear you may be too late, my confused, unfortunate, friend."

"Thievery was the most authentic form of flattery. What could be more satisfying than knowing the things you possessed were intriguing, captivating, or valuable enough to provoke another man to risk everything to obtain them? This was Kelsier’s purpose in life, to remind people of the value of the things they loved. By taking them away."

20 hours ago, The Sovereign said:

A few of my favorites:

"I can't even get him to acknowledge the theological paradox it causes when I try to tempt him to do evil."

Where is that one from?

My favorites:

"There are always more secrets".

The entire exchange between Wit and Amaram.

[OB] Spoilers!

Pattern's jokes (even though he doesn't understand them) are funny. Such as the mathematical ones.

Spoiler

I am Unity.

Spoiler

Honor was alive then. We are something different. His remnants, your soul, my will.

Edited by A Dopey Spren

Ooh, there's also a bunch of stuff in the Wax and Wayne books;

“That hat looks ridiculous.”
“Fortunately, I can change hats,” Wayne said, “while you, sir, are stuck with that face.” 

“Wayne's a little attached to that hat," Waxillium said. "He thinks it's lucky."
Wayne: "It is lucky. I ain't never died while wearing that hat." 
Marasi frowned. "I ... I'm not sure I know how to respond."
Wax: "That's a common reaction to Wayne.” 

(I promise, not all of these are about hats)

(When I said a bunch, I meant two. I'll think of more later)

On 08/12/2017 at 8:37 AM, Heretic said:

"Inappropriate?" Pattern said, "such as...dividing by zero?"

YESSSSS!!!! That made me laugh way too hard.

"I swear, my dear. Sometimes our conversations remind of a broken sword." She raised an eyebrow. "Sharp as hell," Lightsong said, "but lacking a point."

Mistborn: Secret History:

Spoiler

"You made the wrong one of us into your Inquisitor, Ruin," Kelsier hissed. "You shouldn't have picked the good brother. He always did have a nasty habit of doing what was right instead of what was smart."

Edited by Chiri-Chiri

• Chaos locked this topic