[OB] No, we killed you.

hoser

Honestly, I'm thinking Adonalsium isn't as dead as the participants of the Shattering thinks.  Dalinar likely did something that only Adonalsium was able to do, which is my personal guess.  We haven't(?*) seen any indications a Shard can create a perpendicularity at will.  I believe Syl calls it Honor's Perpendicularity because it was Connecting the Physical and Cognitive Realms to Honor's power in the Spiritual Realm.  Either that or that's what came flooding through since Dalinar was using Honor's Surges to do it.  I'm curious if Brandon will give details on what specifically happened here, but something strongly says "not gonna happen". :)

* I have not had time to read literally every cosmere book / novella / story yet, so I could very easily be wrong here. :)

Edited by dvoraen

If it is Adonalsium, perhaps the "Unite them" voice Dalinar keeps hearing relates more to uniting the shards of Adonalsium than the smaller scale of uniting the splinters of Honor or the people of Roshar. Odium would no longer be a threat if the Intent was tempered by the Intents of the other Shards. Or at least that is implied by one of the letters in WoR.

At first, I thought "did he mean him and his voidbringer friends?", but Odium doesn't seem like the type to view his minions as equal participants. Both Honor in the visions and the Stormfather have indicated that Odium killed Honor and there was no mention of another shard helping.

I think it must mean something about what Dalinar did or said reminded Odium of Adonalsium. Perhaps it was Dalinar calling himself "Unity" as much as summoning the perpendicularity that spooked Odium. Unity sounds more like an Adonalsium thing than something that was specific to Honor's intent. I realize it was Honor's constant refrain of "Unite Them!" that Dalinar is acting on, but perhaps "Unite Them" means Unite the shards of Adonalsium. Or at least Unite the Roshar shards. 

The "we" likely refers to the fact that Odium had inside help from a traitor when he killed Honor.

I read "you" as indicating Honor (both in mind and in power) was not as dead/shattered as Odium originally thought. This coincides with Dalinar manifesting unexpected powers of Honor as well as receiving visions and thoughts from Honor beyond just those left with Stormfather.  I think the final dream vision from older Nohadon (which was too interactive to "just" be a recording, while somehow being secretive enough to manage not to be interrupted by Odium), as well as the whispered instructions ("It's the next step") point to a hidden cognitive remnant of Honor/Tanavast/Nohadon, which is still trying to guide Dalinar.  It reminded me a lot of the instructions that were whispered to Vin in key moments and were conveyed to Spook in dream visions.  The repeating divine command of "UNITE THEM" also reminded me a lot of "SURVIVE!"

All good ideas!

The "we" could refer to another Shard, traitors or minions.

Dalinar does definitely seem to be getting help.  Almost like a cosmic background radiation.  It does seem like it could be from Nohadon, Tanavast, Honor, Adonalsium, the god beyond, perhaps even another cognitive entity.  That help could affect how Odium perceives him.  I lean towards Adonalsium or the god beyond, just because Dalinar seems convinced that it is beyond Tanavast and he has experienced Tanavast's projections. But now that seems too straightforward, so I expect some twists.

Three possibilities.

1. He's referring to another shardic ally, likely autonomy. We killed Honor, now Dalinar is manifesting the powers of a sliver like Vin and drawing in extra stormlight which should be impossible because he doesn't know much about reforging shards.

2. This moment reminded him of when they slew Adonalsium, and Dalinar is merging Odium Honor and Cultivation magic to act like a proto form of Adonalsium. 

3. Evi was killed utterly (soul wrecked, personally targeted by Odium) enough that her cognitive shadow shouldn't have been able to manifest, but the god beyond, the true creator of the universe resurrected her briefly because he liked Dalinar enough to help him win. 

Hard to say which is more true without some word of Brandon. 

Yeah the "WE" confused the heck out of me. I don't buy the Evi angle I think that was just the final realization Dalinar needed to become "Unity". It seems pretty clear to me Dalinar manifested Honor's power here at least temporarily and this scared Odium off. It was surprising to the SF as well he did not know it was possible.  I still do not know who the "WE" is.. It could be as simple as the forces of Odium he and his unmade/fused. I guess it could be another shard as well. 

13 minutes ago, Crimson Not Blood said:

I'm in the boat that thinks "we" refers to Odium and Dalinar's own anger whereas "you" refers to the new, controlled Dalinar that is willing to defy Odium.

Wouldn't he have used something like "defeated" then?

9 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I think I'm on the Adonalsium train. In particular, access to the spiritual realm isn't something I can remember any individual shard, or invested person, doing before, but might have been something all the shards could do together

We have a WoB telling us it's happened before.

Edited by Leyrann

34 minutes ago, Leyrann said:

Are you referring Brandon Sanderson by this? :P

https://coppermind.net/wiki/God_Beyond

Sorta, but mostly, whatever the true god is, the one that Dalinar mentions and which Brandon has mentioned a few times. Brandon has noted that the God Beyond is the god that dwells in the afterlife, the beyond. The true monotheistic Abrahamic god expy. 

19 minutes ago, Bacon said:

In particular, access to the spiritual realm isn't something I can remember any individual shard, or invested person, doing before,

“Taravangian!” Odium said. “This is remarkable.” The walls and furniture faded, leaving behind the words, which hung in the air and started glowing with a golden light. “You did this without access to Fortune, or the Spiritual Realm? Truly incredible.”

“Th-thank you?”

“Allow me to show you how far I see.” 

Goldenwords exploded outward from the ones Taravangian had written in the Diagram. Millions upon millions of golden letters burned into the air, extending into infinity. Each took one small element that Taravangian had written, and expanded upon it in volumes and volumes’ worth of information.

This heavily implies that Odium has access to both Fortune and the Spiritual Realm.

1 hour ago, Fifth of Daybreak said:

This heavily implies that Odium has access to both Fortune and the Spiritual Realm.

An implication is not needed. The majority of a shards power exists in the Spiritual Realm. Future sight is inherently a Spiritual thing in the Cosmere, due to the spiritual being the only time independent Realm. 

The Shards have to be able to understand the Spiritual, it's a big part of the way they function. 

@Calderis Thanks, that makes since with the WoB provided earlier.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/76-shadows-of-self-chicago-signing/#e6304

Mistborn spoilers

Spoiler
Play/Pause

Argent

Can somebody travel to the Spiritual Realm, the same as the Cognitive?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, but it's a very different experience. It is possible… You may have seen people do it...

Argent

As in you're not sure, or you're being obnoxiously vague?

Brandon Sanderson

No...

Questioner #1

As in, you probably have but he's having trouble remembering it.

Brandon Sanderson

No no no... For instance, Elend burning atium and duralumin pulled most of him into the Spiritual Realm.

Argent

Oh, that's what happens there.

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah. He kind of got yanked into- You also have seen people Ascend with the powers and dip into the Spiritual Realm for a little bit.

Argent

So, Vin?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah. But they could be on both, or either, or both at the same time. But you have seen Vin stick into the Spiritual Realm. And it happened to Sazed/Harmony...

Questioner #2

Oh! So is that where the gods live? Kinda?

Brandon Sanderson

Most of the bulk of the Shard's energy of being is contained in the Spiritual Realm, yes. Except for one notable exception!

Questioner #2

The <mists? mistwraith?>?

Brandon Sanderson

No.

Footnote: We now know that the "one notable exception" Brandon refers to at the end is the Dor, which is mostly contained in the Cognitive Realm

Edited by Fifth of Daybreak

Just now, Fifth of Daybreak said:

@Calderis Thanks, I actually happened to run into the WoB that helps explain just that doing research on this not too long before you posted haha.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/76-shadows-of-self-chicago-signing/#e6304

Mistborn spoilers

Reveal hidden contents
Play/Pause

Argent

Can somebody travel to the Spiritual Realm, the same as the Cognitive?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, but it's a very different experience. It is possible… You may have seen people do it...

Argent

As in you're not sure, or you're being obnoxiously vague?

Brandon Sanderson

No...

Questioner #1

As in, you probably have but he's having trouble remembering it.

Brandon Sanderson

No no no... For instance, Elend burning atium and duralumin pulled most of him into the Spiritual Realm.

Argent

Oh, that's what happens there.

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah. He kind of got yanked into- You also have seen people Ascend with the powers and dip into the Spiritual Realm for a little bit.

Argent

So, Vin?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah. But they could be on both, or either, or both at the same time. But you have seen Vin stick into the Spiritual Realm. And it happened to Sazed/Harmony...

Questioner #2

Oh! So is that where the gods live? Kinda?

Brandon Sanderson

Most of the bulk of the Shard's energy of being is contained in the Spiritual Realm, yes. Except for one notable exception!

Questioner #2

The <mists? mistwraith?>?

Brandon Sanderson

No.

Footnote: We now know that the "one notable exception" Brandon refers to at the end is the Dor, which is mostly contained in the Cognitive Realm

That's literally the WoB I linked to four posts earlier lol.