• Announcements

• Chaos

Oathbringer Spoiler Policy   11/13/2017

Oathbringer is out! Let's make our policy on spoilers clear! 1. You must preface topics with Oathbringer spoilers with the prefix [OB] in the front 2. You are only allowed to post spoilers and spoiler topics in the Oathbringer Spoiler Board, Cosmere Theories, and some select work-related forums. 3. For posts in the Oathbringer Spoiler Board you do not need to use spoiler tags inside a topic marked [OB]. For Cosmere Theories, you also do not need to put spoiler tags inside your topic if the topic has [OB] in the title. However, for Cosmere Theories, if you are adding Oathbringer stuff to an old theory without the [OB] tag, those must go in spoiler tags and you must make it obvious outside the spoiler tag that the spoiler is regarding Oathbringer content. 4. For select things that do require talking about OB spoilers, in Events, Coppermind, and Arcanum forums, those are allowed but keep OB spoilers in spoiler tags 5. Avoid and minimize spoilers in topic titles--even though those two boards will not appear in the Recent Topics ticker, topic titles still appear in Recent Activity and the forum home.  6. You aren't allowed to post Oathbringer spoilers in places other than listed, even with spoiler tags.  It will be nine months and then the Oathbringer board will be re-merged with the Stormlight board and you will not need to tag these spoilers. If you'd like to move something in the Stormlight Archive board to the Oathbringer board, to update it with new Oathbringer information, Report the post and we will happily move it to the Oathbringer spoiler board. Part-by-part Reactions Though the Oathbringer Spoiler Board will be very spoilery, very fast (maybe don't come there until you've read the book, as people do have copies that bookstores sold early), you'll have these five topics for reactions if you want to nerd out: Part 1 Reactions
      Part 2 Reactions
      Part 3 Reactions
      Part 4 Reactions
      Full Book Reactions For parts 1-4, they will not include the interludes immediately following it. On Discord All Oathbringer spoilers on Discord will be exclusively in the #oathbringer_spoilers channel for the nine month spoiler period and nowhere else.
EC11

Theory: The Evil (Threnody) is a Splinter of Ambition

7 posts in this topic

So bear with me on this one. but it seems to me that with the little we do know about The Evil from Shadows for Silence would suggest that it (if indeed it is an it) is a splinter of the power that was thrown off during Ambition's fight with Odium. Now this comes from my thinking that if the evil is indeed a personification of some of the attributes of Odium and Ambition it is possible that it is an accidental creation of the conflict. What little we do know does tell us that lots of the fight took place in the Cognitive Realm (or maybe Spiritual Realm?) and so the ripples from the conflict seem to have "bled" through to the world of Threnody.

This might be a wild card theory, but I think Ambition might have (in an ambitious way) tried to create a piece of herself to survive her fight with Odium. Perhaps that or a failed attempt to escape?

20 minutes ago, EC11 said:

So bear with me on this one. but it seems to me that with the little we do know about The Evil from Shadows for Silence would suggest that it (if indeed it is an it) is a splinter of the power that was thrown off during Ambition's fight with Odium. Now this comes from my thinking that if the evil is indeed a personification of some of the attributes of Odium and Ambition it is possible that it is an accidental creation of the conflict. What little we do know does tell us that lots of the fight took place in the Cognitive Realm (or maybe Spiritual Realm?) and so the ripples from the conflict seem to have "bled" through to the world of Threnody.

This might be a wild card theory, but I think Ambition might have (in an ambitious way) tried to create a piece of herself to survive her fight with Odium. Perhaps that or a failed attempt to escape?

Actually, this made me wonder if maybe it's a splinter that is part Odium, part Ambition.

It does make you wonder. My guess is that the bleeding of power has had some kind of consequence (like the Aons and Seons on Sel) which could be the Evil itself, or simply have caused the wonky nature of the Cognitive Shadows on Threnody. The biggest distinction is whether or not the Evil is a distinct entity or if it is just a more "benign" example of splintered power investing itself.

On 11/19/2017 at 6:11 AM, EC11 said:

the wonky nature of the Cognitive Shadows on Threnody

(spoiler for Oathbringer)

Spoiler

The wonky nature of the Cognitive Shadows on Threnody may actually be very relevant to Stormlight Archive now that we know that Odium essentially preserves the Cognitive Shadows of singers.  In both cases we wind up with undead ancestors.  

Edited by emailanimal

2 hours ago, john203 said:

this topic isn't marked OB spoilers,

Done. My bad.

On 11/21/2017 at 7:42 AM, emailanimal said:

Done. My bad.

Sorry to harp on you, but putting it in a spoiler box isn't enough. If you won't have something outside the box saying what book the spoiler is for, then you'll simply have people wondering if they should open it or not, because they aren't sure if they've read the book you have spoilers for.

That isn't a huge deal on this specific board, where OB is the only book that needs spoilers, but it's still good practice.