[OB] page 33 in OB, nothing ahead of chapter 2.A connection?

AnonymousFan

Whoa, just started reading oathbringer 5 minutes ago, and already I noticed something.

Page 33 OB spoiler:

Spoiler

He feared the figure with the red eyes the most. Odiums champion.

Is this connected to the end of Mistborn SH (or is it BOM) when:

Spoiler

They meet the red eyed immortal. I don’t have the book with me so I can’t find the quote.

Ive seen most people assuming this being was a Kandra because they’re called faceless immortals, but when I read this I was like “that’s not a kandra” they didn’t say faceless immortal they just said immortal so it could be anything.

Also so in the first 5 minutes of owning the book it slipped and fell and I tore a hole in the cover RIP. :(

Edited by AnonymousFan

15 hours ago, Leyrann said:

There goes my theory that it was related to Adonalsiums enemy and that some Vessels (Odium included) were working for said enemy.

Isn't that a misinterpretation of the WoB? I'm reasonably sure that the WoB of the opposing force to Adonalsium was just the group that shattered him (and hence became the Vessels).

3 hours ago, yahas said:

Isn't that a misinterpretation of the WoB? I'm reasonably sure that the WoB of the opposing force to Adonalsium was just the group that shattered him (and hence became the Vessels).

I didn't really have a worked-out theory though. Just a random idea that I might sometime write something about. Figured the red might be related to Adonalsium's enemy, which would then be another powerful being. No idea if there's a WoB like that.

On 11/19/2017 at 8:47 PM, Brightlord Maelstrom said:

In that case, could it be that the red-eyed immortals in BoM are Kandra that have been corrupted by another shard?

Yes, this is absolutely a legitimate theory now that this WoB has clarified that red eyes (the only confirmed time we've seen red-coloured magic IIRC? I'm excluding that one scene in BoM where Sazed may or may not be showing something like a diagram) are not a specific feature of Odium, and in fact a cosmere-wide effect. It could be any type of creature that is using some sort of investiture corrupted or re-purposed by another Shard.

4 hours ago, Leyrann said:

No idea if there's a WoB like that.

There is an original, with two follow-ups. Make of them as you wish.

claytonphillips

Before Adonalsium shattered, was it consciously opposed by something, be it people or another cosmic force? Is whatever opposed it still around?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. Yes.

April 15, 2013.

Eric

In Secret History we learn the 16 Shards that Shattered Adonalsium. Was that done [on behalf of the anti-Adonalsium force]?

Brandon Sanderson

You’re focusing too much on this idea of an anti-Adonalsium. It—the original question I believe that was asked me was “is there a force that is opposed to Adonalsium” and it left me a lot of wiggle room. In other words, the people who killed Adonalsium, you could say were a force, any person who opposed Adonalsium... What they were trying to get was a “devil” but to do that you must assume Adonalsium was a more Christian-style God, and I haven’t confirmed any of that.

Feb 22, 2016.

Brandon Sanderson

Let's see... *reading written question aloud* "Can you tell me anything new about the force that opposed Adonalsium?"

*writes* "I would count groups of people as a force."

Okay? So, I'm not saying that that's what it is, but when people ask that question and leave a lot of wiggle room... because I would count groups of people as a force that opposed him. So, I have not confirmed it's a group or anything like that. The question has a lot of wiggle room.

Dec 3, 2016.

4 hours ago, Leyrann said:

Figured the red might be related to Adonalsium's enemy, which would then be another powerful being.

Have this:

dgenio8 (paraphrased)

If the force opposing Adonalsium is an entity like him/it (?), have we seen any magic that is related to this entity?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

No. All the magic you see come from the shards of Adonalsium.

Nov 7, 2016.

17 hours ago, Ari said:

Yes, this is absolutely a legitimate theory now that this WoB has clarified that red eyes (the only confirmed time we've seen red-coloured magic IIRC? I'm excluding that one scene in BoM where Sazed may or may not be showing something like a diagram) are not a specific feature of Odium, and in fact a cosmere-wide effect. It could be any type of creature that is using some sort of investiture corrupted or re-purposed by another Shard.

OK, after reading some more, here are some OB based arguments. Due to the OP not having finished OB yet, I'll keep these in Spoiler tags.MAJOR OATHBRINGER SPOILERS

Spoiler

So, it has been confirmed in the book that red eyes were a symbol of corrupted investiture: when one Shard is influencing the investiture of another. This is seen in the Voidspren mixing with the Parshendi (most Forms of Power), with Neragaoul (The Thrill/Red Mists) inhabiting the Sadeas soldiers, and recognized by a couple Cosmere aware characters as being the signs of corrupted investiture

• Chaos locked this topic