[OB] Azure and her 'shardblade'

thecaptain01

So Azure (Vivenna) has a 'shardblade'. This is obviously another awakened sword like Nightblood which can be seen when Azure describes her as she and can't dismiss it like another blade.

What do you all think the command for this new sword could be and would she have made it herself or with Vasher's help? Not sure he'd feel too good about making another awakened sword after what happened with Nightblood.

Edited by The Unfallen One

From conversations I've had, the general feeling that I've seen is that this Blade is Nightblood 2.0. It seems to lack some of his more terrifying effects and function more like a regular Shardblade, except for the summoning. Perhaps she got it from Yesteel, or learned to craft it from him.

It seems to be a Type IV awakened entity, once again made in an imitation of sprenblades. The likely difference between it and Nightblood is that whoever made it did a better job, improving on the prototype design that Nightblood is. This can be seen by the closer enumeration of sprenblade abilities, cutting non-living and cutting the soul of living, while not having the excessive power that Nightblood has coupled with the leaking of power.

With regards to who made it, I have my suspicions that it might've been Yesteel. From the Warbreaker annotations, Yesteel does know how to make them somehow, and I find it unlikely that Vasher would be willing to make another Type IV, considering what lengths he has gone to prevent further creation of them in the past.

Edited by Spoolofwhool

5 minutes ago, john203 said:

? I thought he did.

Spool mistyped(or got hit by autocorrect). The prior sentence is saying they think it's from Yesteel, so it stands to reason that the sentence should read as:

"From the Warbreaker annotations, Yesteel does know how to make them somehow,"

All of these Warbreaker cameos are really making me wish Brandon decides to move up Nightblood (the novel). Last time he spoke about it, it wasn't in line for even the gap between the two Stormlight arcs (which is currently reserved for the two Elantris sequels, and the Mistborn Era 3 novels).

I'm hoping plans have changed this round of SoS.

8 hours ago, yahas said:

Last time he spoke about it, it wasn't in line for even the gap between the two Stormlight arcs (which is currently reserved for the two Elantris sequels, and the Mistborn Era 3 novels).

From last year's SotS:

Once Era Two is done, we’ll let Mistborn lie fallow for a few years while I move on to Elantris/Warbreaker sequels. (See below.)

This sounds like MB Era 3 will be after that. Out of curiosity, when was the "last time" he spoke about it?

8 hours ago, yahas said:

I'm hoping plans have changed this round of SoS.

We'll know in a month. Additionally, his plans will have been shifted quite a bit now that he's pulled Apocalypse Guard from the release schedule.

5 hours ago, The One Who Connects said:

From last year's SotS:

This sounds like MB Era 3 will be after that. Out of curiosity, when was the "last time" he spoke about it?

We'll know in a month. Additionally, his plans will have been shifted quite a bit now that he's pulled Apocalypse Guard from the release schedule.

Did he say why he pulled it?

Just now, Shuffel said:

Did he say why he pulled it?

I forgot to link the article, then? My bad.

“I finished the book and decided something was broken about the novel,” Sanderson says. “And I’m not sure what it is yet…I showed it to the publisher, I showed it to the editor, we had conversations, and I just felt the book wasn’t right. Even their suggestions on what to do in revisions didn’t click with me, and I decided I needed time from the book. So I set it aside and said, ‘Well, I’m going to write something else right now and see how I feel about that.’”

Him pulling Apocalypse Guard is why he's got that "mystery project" on his site's progress bar now.

In regards to the command for Azure's blade, I'm thinking something similar to Nightblood, but more specific in intent. Avoiding the same issues with interpretation would be very challenging. I'm thinking it's something like: 

- Protect Good (A direct opposition of Nightbood's 'Destroy Evil'

or perhaps, even simpler... 

- Sever

Also adding the link to  another topic that talks a bit about this. 

Edited by Vianki
word choice.

Azure's Blade seems to be less dangerous than Nightblood. I suspect that it is of similar design - Type IV Awakened object, but (a) with less sentience, and (b) with significantly fewer powers.  

Based on Warbreaker and Oathbringer, Nightblood essentially has no safety catch/fuse. It is the most powerful weapon in Cosmere that does not know how to stop and cannot be stopped unless it is shoved back into the scabbard. It won't let go.  So, it can do a lot, but it also requires a lot.  Azure's Blade appears to have the safety catch and it will not eat her alive when drawn. But it is probably not as powerful as Nightblood.

I want to say the the Command may have been "Obey the wielder" or something similar.

15 hours ago, The One Who Connects said:

It's likely I'm mixing last two years' SoS. If you check 2015, you'll notice that he says Nightblood is "on hiatus" and classifies is as tertiary, while for Elantris he's been consistently giving us dates (at one point it was b/w SA5 and SA6, and in the last one he mentioned as early as 2018). 

Even in the SoS you quoted, you'll notice that he didn't actually say he'll write Nightblood before MB Era 3 when he actually got down to speaking about it. I'm not sure why that is, but he's mentioned in the past that there's some behind the scene Cosmere reasons that he needs to finish Elantris before doing the back half of SA and Mistborn Era 3 (which, given how influential Warbreaker has been on SA so far, makes me really wonder what he's planning).

On 11/19/2017 at 11:25 AM, Spoolofwhool said:

With regards to who made it, I have my suspicions that it might've been Yesteel. From the Warbreaker annotations, Yesteel does know how to make them somehow, and I find it unlikely that Vasher would be willing to make another Type IV, considering what lengths he has gone to prevent further creation of them in the past.

Why Yesteel and not Vivenna if Vivenna has the sword (Has it even been proven that Azure is Vivenna?)? If Yesteel made it, he should have it unless he gave it away or it was stolen from him.

27 minutes ago, Krypton Savant said:

Has it even been proven that Azure is Vivenna?

Explicity stated no...But how many Shapeshifting's Awakeners from noble blood who runned away from their responsabilities and trained by Vasher do we know ?

And how many of them have the exact same purpose of Vivenna ? XD

Edited by Yata

3 hours ago, Krypton Savant said:

Why Yesteel and not Vivenna if Vivenna has the sword (Has it even been proven that Azure is Vivenna?)? If Yesteel made it, he should have it unless he gave it away or it was stolen from him.

I mean, it could've been Vivienna, but since that would've required someone telling her about how to make it, I feel like it's more likely that someone who already knew how to make Type IVs made it. As to how she got it if Yesteel made it, considering the ending of Warbreaker seems to be hinting towards Vasher and Vivienna going to confront Yesteel, they could've taken it from him at that point. (My feeling is that as of SA, Vasher might be the only Scholar left, having killed the others.)

21 minutes ago, Spoolofwhool said:

I mean, it could've been Vivienna, but since that would've required someone telling her about how to make it, I feel like it's more likely that someone who already knew how to make Type IVs made it. As to how she got it if Yesteel made it, considering the ending of Warbreaker seems to be hinting towards Vasher and Vivienna going to confront Yesteel, they could've taken it from him at that point. (My feeling is that as of SA, Vasher might be the only Scholar left, having killed the others.)

Also, it's unlikely for Vivenna to have gathered so much Breath to be able to awaken Steel...but unlikely and impossible are two different stuffs, so who knows ?

20 minutes ago, Krypton Savant said:

And how do we know that Azure's Shardblade is actually an awakened object like Nightblood?

The fact that she never dismisses it seems to suggest it wasn't a spren blade. Also, when they were in Shadesmar, Kaladin, Shallan, and Adolin's blades all manifested as spren. Azures' blade was still a sword. 

2 hours ago, Krypton Savant said:

And how do we know that Azure's Shardblade is actually an awakened object like Nightblood?

We don't, but it's highly likely that it is a Type IV Awakened Entity. As Andy92 pointed out, it's clearly not a normal shardblade, additionally with how it killed people. Also, at a later point on the Honorspren ship, Azure says that she (the sword) did not like strangers, in a way which seemed a bit extreme for object personification.

1 hour ago, Spoolofwhool said:

We don't, but it's highly likely that it is a Type IV Awakened Entity. As Andy92 pointed out, it's clearly not a normal shardblade, additionally with how it killed people. Also, at a later point on the Honorspren ship, Azure says that she (the sword) did not like strangers, in a way which seemed a bit extreme for object personification.

And the Honorspren says something along the line of "it tingles" and Azure responds with something along the lines of "that's just her looking you over." 

The exchange implies the sword is at least sentient. 

6 hours ago, Krypton Savant said:

The wounds' description fit with the lesser effect of Nightblood and no with a regular Sprenblade's effect (no burning eyes)