[OB] Arranged marriages

shawnhargreaves

Raoden and Sarene

Siri and Susebron

Wax and Steris

Dalinar and Evi

Shallan and Adolin

Brandon sure does enjoy the pattern of a couple who meet after a marriage between them has already been arranged for political reasons, yet who go on to develop a real relationship and fall in love!

Counter examples, where a romance developed spontaneously, are significantly rarer:

Vin and Elend

Sazed and Tindwyl

Dalinar and Navani

I doubt there's any great significance to this, but found it interesting when I counted these up just now.

Unpublished works:

Spoiler

These split evenly.  Aether of Night is in the first category (Raeth and D’Naa) and White Sand the second (Khriss and Kenton).

It has to do with who we are looking at and the societies involved. The upper class has done this for centuries and, historically speaking, it worked more often than not. It’s relatively recently that this has changed.

BTW, you forget that BoM has two other relationships: Wayne and MeLaan; Marasi and Allik. So that does change the numbers some.

• Raoden and Sarene
    • was this marriage already arranged sealed when they began to speak via Seon and fall in love? Event though I re-read Elantris this year, I can't remember the order of events here. 
  • Dalinar and Evi
    • I'm not sure that I would qualify as what big D felt for Evi as "love"... there are many things that seem to have been there, but i'm just not sure I buy love

Other ones I totally agree with. Arranged marriage in  high society being how real it was for our history makes it make sense to me. Plus it's a convenient plot device! 

6 hours ago, shawnhargreaves said:

Unpublished works:

Hide contents

Aether of Night is in the first category (Raeth and D’Naa) and White Sand the second (Khriss and Kenton).

Spoiler

Raeth and D'Naa is the second category.

Edited by podman36

11 hours ago, shawnhargreaves said:

Raoden and Sarene

Siri and Susebron

Wax and Steris

Dalinar and Evi

Shallan and Adolin

Brandon sure does enjoy the pattern of a couple who meet after a marriage between them has already been arranged for political reasons, yet who go on to develop a real relationship and fall in love!

Counter examples, where a romance developed spontaneously, are significantly rarer:

Vin and Elend

Sazed and Tindwyl

Dalinar and Navani

I doubt there's any great significance to this, but found it interesting when I counted these up just now.

Unpublished works:

Reveal hidden contents

These split evenly.  Aether of Night is in the first category (Raeth and D’Naa) and White Sand the second (Khriss and Kenton).

Siri and Susebron were only prearranged by an odd technicality. Not sure they count.

Edited by Storyspren
Erroneously presses submit after quote

Not only that, but Brandon really has a thing against premarital sex. Or even implying sex. The relationships he writes about end up feeling really cloistered and washed-out. 

I dunno, it's probably his religious upbringing. 

Edited by Vissy

Does his religious upbringing have something to do with it? Yeah. He also writes quite a few characters who are single, religious or have morals against it, alongside time periods where premarital sex is a bigger societal no-no. Those factors let him hide it some, but leaves sex lacking in an author who otherwise does a brilliant job of catching the human experience.

The nice thing is BS improves. While this is a weak spot, hopefully he’ll get a better handle on getting it across, which would lead to a more natural representation.

Edited by Amended
Dem typos

On 18/11/2017 at 2:29 PM, Amended said:

Does his religious upbringing have something to do with it? Yeah. He also writes quite a few characters who are single, religious or have morals against it, alongside time periods where premarital sex is a bigger societal no-no. Those factors let him hide it some, but leaves sex lack in an author who otherwise does a brilliant job of catching the human experience.

The nice thing is BS improves. While this is a weak spot, hopefully he’ll get a better handle on getting it across, which would lead to a more natural representation.

I would absolutely love if Brandon did justice to a character that just liked casual sex, exactly because of what you wrote. It would help in add depth to his stories. You can always improve even if you are fantastic. 

I feel I wouldn't mind this if he didn't try to address sex at all, even if it felt a bit unrealistic, but as he does use it as a theme, I just hope he makes his spectrum wider.

On 11/20/2017 at 8:52 PM, Oberyn said:

I would absolutely love if Brandon did justice to a character that just liked casual sex, exactly because of what you wrote. It would help in add depth to his stories. You can always improve even if you are fantastic. 

I feel I wouldn't mind this if he didn't try to address sex at all, even if it felt a bit unrealistic, but as he does use it as a theme, I just hope he makes his spectrum wider.

You do have Wayne and Melaan snogging in BoM.

On 11/18/2017 at 9:29 AM, Amended said:

Does his religious upbringing have something to do with it? Yeah. He also writes quite a few characters who are single, religious or have morals against it, alongside time periods where premarital sex is a bigger societal no-no. Those factors let him hide it some, but leaves sex lacking in an author who otherwise does a brilliant job of catching the human experience.

The only place I really felt this got in the way of the story was with Vin and Elend. They were obviously sleeping together (source), but the text goes out of its way to imply that they're not. I don't think it needed a sex scene to work, just a single acknowledgement that yes, they're in a relationship, and yes, that means they're sleeping together. Still, he is getting better at how he approaches things. He seems like a good person at heart. 

I actually like that he doesn't write very many sex scenes.  It is something that usually takes away from the story, and can be implied without being explicit. The exception is when it is a driving feature of at least a plot point.  Example is siri and susebron.  We don't need to hear the squishing to know what is going on, and in fact it would take away from the story of he described those parts, but you know that they did it.  Wheel of time also skirted the juicy details usually, focusing more on the emotions that occured during or after.  Rather than the actual physicality of the deed.  Unless you are looking for something to rev up your imagination in that area, there is no need for the rest. 

• Chaos locked this topic