[OB] Voidbringers

So... 

Now that we know that the original Voidbringers were the humans who came to Roshar after Braize was presumably destroyed by their surgebinding... it make me think of this section from tWoK

He had heard that the Voidbringers could hold it in perfectly.

Sanderson, Brandon. The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive, Book 1) (p. 24). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition. 

and then also this from OB

They leak Stormlight too much,

Sanderson, Brandon. Oathbringer: Book Three of the Stormlight Archive (p. 923). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition. 

I'm thinking that we're going to see our Knights Radiant able to perfectly hold in stormlight when they get through their 5th Ideal (if we see any of them get there). 

I'm still confused a bit, and maybe I need a re-read to get it straighter. If humans existed on Roshar before the Vessels arrived and Invested, then was this a new group of humans that came to Roshar that were of Odium? And did the Heralds come out of the old group or the new group? Or were humans even the group that came to Roshar? What if Spren came to Roshar and that was considered the invasion? Or another group entirely?

So were some humans originally of Honor/Cultivation, then some came that were of Odium? And the parshmen were originally of Honor/Cultivation and then were corrupted by Odium and then Honor/Cultivation teamed up against Odium with the humans?

I'm still not quite clear on all this...

As I understand/read all those sections, Humans were never native to Roshar. They were only ever refugees from a destroyed world who were graciously settled in Shinovar as it is the most hospitable of Roshar locales. They were originally Odium followers who eventually turned to Honor after coming to Roshar. 

So if all Humans came from somewhere else; and they were originally settled in Shinovar, why do the Shin appear to look so much different from the rest of the human populous of Roshar?

-Are all other races of humans carrying some level of singer/listener/parshmen ancestry?

-Are the Shin prior occupants of Roshar predating the invasion of "Humans" ?

-Did two different human populations from "destroyed worlds" come to Roshar?

I have so many questions.

Edited by Bridge Boy

18 minutes ago, Green Hoodie Mistborn said:

As I understand/read all those sections, Humans were never native to Roshar. They were only ever refugees from a destroyed world who were graciously settled in Shinovar as it is the most hospitable of Roshar locales. They were originally Odium followers who eventually turned to Honor after coming to Roshar. 

I thought we had a WOB that said humans lived on Roshar before the Shards' arrival, but now I'm unable to find it. In fact, all I could find was this

Brandon Sanderson

... people did not migrate from Yolen to Roshar. Roshar was inhabited before the shattering of Adonalsium.

Argent

Hmm. I am rusty on my Roshar history, I'll have to review what we know the topic. I know Roshar existed before the Shattering, and it was presumably populated, but I didn't think there had been humans there. They don't feel native. I've been working under the assumption that the Parshendi were native (maybe), but the humans came from somewhere - the Tranquiline Halls myths also kind of support that.

Or have I missed something?

Brandon Sanderson

Technically, what I said doesn't actually contradict anything you just said. But just to be extra safe: RAFO. I have to keep a FEW secrets safe from you people to come out in the books. :)

And also this

Questioner

So, if spren are caused by thoughts, and the Shards caused some of the humans, and humans cause thoughts, then there were people alive before

Brandon Sanderson

Then there were people on Roshar before the breaking of Adonalsium.

Parshmen and Aimians technically count as "people." Which makes me think all humans are immigrants to Roshar. In answer to @Bridge Boy, I think the Shin are direct descendants from the first invaders, the original Voidbringers, but that's purely my speculation.

Edited by Shadowmancer

• Chaos locked this topic