[OB] Funny moments in Oathbringer

redgarlic68

6 minutes ago, Grajilla said:

Yes, I was aware about that, and I read that the whole moment was really funny, but the pun seems really disappointing to me. Probably I should wait for the official translation. Thanks!

It isn't a very good pun, but that's Shallan's humour for you.

28 minutes ago, Grajilla said:

Yes, I was aware about that, and I read that the whole moment was really funny, but the pun seems really disappointing to me. Probably I should wait for the official translation. Thanks!

If you get the splinter/hand pun, but just don't think it's all that funny, your English is much better than my Spanish. :)

The entire "good pork" chapter.

All those pampered lighteyes looking at Dalinar like he's a freaking madman, and Dalinar being totally oblivious to why everyone was freaking out

Edit: Even his own soldiers were completely stunned when he burst into the stormshelter looking for his knife

Edited by Storms!

I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet. The scene in the book that had me silently laughing like crazy was the scene in which Dalinar and Lift are in that room alone together, waiting for the viziers to make a decision about coming to Urithiru. They have this awkward little conversation about food that abruptly ends when they bring up the Nightwatcher, and then they just sit across from each other in silence for about ten minutes, awkwardly munching some dried fruit from a bowl. The mundanity of the scene and the imagery it provided were just hilarious to me.

Wow, I've looked through the whole thread and I haven't seen one of my favorite funny moment mentioned yet :o Or maybe I'm having a cheesy sense of humor, I don't know xD

I definitely died here, I even had to stop reading for a few minutes to calm down:

Spoiler

His life just kept getting stranger. He tried - unsuccessfully - to banish the image of lying in bed with a woman, Syl sitting on the headboard and shouting out encouragement and advice...
"Lord Radiant?" the citylord asked from inside the front room of the small home. "Are you well?"
"Painful memory", Kaladin said. 

This is hilarious, I can literally see the horror on Kal's face anytime I read it. And with his ordinary scowl, there's no wonder a citylord got a little concerned about his well-being :D

And since I love Pattern, this one really got me as well:

Spoiler

"He came at me", Adolin said, "in the training rooms, screaming that you'd found the killer. Said that if I didn't come, you'd probably - and I quote - 'go do something stupid without letting me watch.' "
Pattern hummed. "Stupidity. Very interesting."

And I absolutely fell in love with Szeth and Lift interactions:

Spoiler

"That's okay. Your weird face is burden enough for one man".
"Your words are wise", he said, nodding.

On 11/16/2017 at 6:22 PM, WhiteLeeopard said:

Not cool. I wandered into this thread after I ran out of upvotes. Will try to remember to return when they refresh.

For some reason I found it really hilarious when the wall guard was patrolling with Kaladin and they were laughing at that "useless chicken", Kaladin went ready to laugh with them till he saw...thats actually my best friend and possibly the greatest swordsman, commander and genuinely nice person in Roshar. But yeah, he does love fashion.

Also the thought that Szeth was Dalinar's new main bodyguard and no-one batted an eye at that :P.

And Kaladin's (Paraphrased) "Anyone that could have helped us is dead, insane, a traitor or a mix of the above. Great"

Nightblood been the voice of reason about Nalan as one reviewer pointed out:

N: He is almost evil. 

S: He is one of the least evil people in our world

N: Then your world has some serious issues.

Nightblood absolutely stole the show for me, between interactions with Szeth and interactions with Lift. Nightblood was fantastic in Warbreaker, but even more so here!

And Lift referring to Szeth as "crazy face" repeatedly.. that made my day.

Pretty much anything happening with Lopen makes me laugh.. he really needs to find some way/excuse for Lopen and Wayne (mistborn) to meet.. those two together would be unstoppable.

1 hour ago, evanna said:

Wow, I've looked through the whole thread and I haven't seen one of my favorite funny moment mentioned yet :o Or maybe I'm having a cheesy sense of humor, I don't know xD

I definitely died here, I even had to stop reading for a few minutes to calm down:

Hide contents

His life just kept getting stranger. He tried - unsuccessfully - to banish the image of lying in bed with a woman, Syl sitting on the headboard and shouting out encouragement and advice...
"Lord Radiant?" the citylord asked from inside the front room of the small home. "Are you well?"
"Painful memory", Kaladin said. 

This is hilarious, I can literally see the horror on Kal's face anytime I read it. And with his ordinary scowl, there's no wonder a citylord got a little concerned about his well-being :D

And since I love Pattern, this one really got me as well:

Hide contents

"He came at me", Adolin said, "in the training rooms, screaming that you'd found the killer. Said that if I didn't come, you'd probably - and I quote - 'go do something stupid without letting me watch.' "
Pattern hummed. "Stupidity. Very interesting."

And I absolutely fell in love with Szeth and Lift interactions:

Hide contents

"That's okay. Your weird face is burden enough for one man".
"Your words are wise", he said, nodding.

Thing is, most of the first pages of this thread were made by people that had been dissecting the first part of the book in the weekly releases we got before OB. Since we got 3 chapters every Tuesday we looked even into the color of the clothes each person was wearing, so we had already gotten out our laughs and memes from the first 2 moments you mention. I absolutely recommend going to the meme page of OB, as I wouldn't be surprised if Pattern is this book's mvp in memes made. I also loved that someone suggested the first issue you talk about was the real reason for the Recreance :D.

Edited by WhiteLeeopard

On 15/02/2018 at 9:12 AM, Grajilla said:

I understand the meaning of  "got out of hand", perhaps I am not getting the meaning of splinter? Is there another meaning apart from "sliver of wood"?

All spren are splinters of life, but "some" large & ancient Spren (life broken = spren) really did get out of hand!

Not so humorous, but my most favorite Pattern line was about dividing by zero!  Before the mating riffs. 

And why is this important

Does anyone else get goosebumps when the checkers in the grocery store call "three's a crowd" over the PA system . . . Or is that just me?

Bless your peapickin' fractal heart, Pattern!  You are amazing (& not Lift-esque)....

Rwgarding boots . . When you take your fly rod to the not-Purelake, and go hunting for some non-magical hungry fish, just remember that those waders which fasten on your chest with the clever little bent wires and the metal buttons are also a kind of boots! 

Boots & boots .... and the chiral universe, and the efforts of Vorin Women's clothing to slow down the next Desolation.

Humor, oh the book makes me LOL often enough ... It surely does . .

5 minutes ago, SallyA said:

Not so humorous, but my most favorite Pattern line was about dividing by zero!  Before the mating riffs. 

And why is this important

Does anyone else get goosebumps when the checkers in the grocery store call "three's a crowd" over the PA system . . . Or is that just me?

Bless your peapickin' fractal heart, Pattern!  You are amazing (& not Lift-esque)....

Yes! "Dividing by zero" had me guffaw out loud.

1 minute ago, Walkerxes said:

Yes! "Dividing by zero" had me guffaw out loud.

Well, no guffawing, and not so very funny, but it warmed the cockles of my down trodden and suffering heart, that such a thing could find it's way out of the mouth of such a particularly intelligent character .... sometimes you have to stop worrying about the Hunters and just feel blessed that someone got the spren-gram.

Just now, SallyA said:

Well, no guffawing, and not so very funny, but it warmed the cockles of my down trodden and suffering heart, that such a thing could find it's way out of the mouth of such a particularly intelligent character .... sometimes you have to stop worrying about the Hunters and just feel blessed that someone got the spren-gram.

What can I say, nerd humor gets me :D

• Chaos locked this topic