[OB] Part 4 Reactions

Chaos

Hello,

Full book spoilers on Oathbringer open 11/14 12:01am Eastern Standard time. When this topic opens you can discuss all of Oathbringer in this board.

This topic, however, is if you just want to discuss the book up through Part Four and want to nerd out a bit about it. If so, you're in the right place.

Only stuff through the end of Part Four are allowed. This topic will not contain spoilers from the interludes following Part Four.

2 minutes ago, Pattern said:

Part 4 is the Shadesmar part - after Kholinar was lost in Part 3.

Ah yes... Thanks.

And if I remember correctly also the Dalinar flashback that we've all been waiting for/dreading, the one that makes Kadash join the ardentia?

And now I don't have time to write my thoughts lol... I'll probably do so later today.

This part was amazing for those of us who wanted more about both spren culture and world hoppers.

The Aonic oracle in the lighthouse who initially assumed Kaladin was an Awakened before figuring out he was a surgebinder and praying to Domi was like the trifecta of cosmere hints. 

Dead Blades are super creepy on this side, did not expect that. 

And damnation Syl, how do keep making yourself more and more awesome/adorable/better-than-everyone-else in EVERY subsequent book? Someday you will hit the apex of "best girl"ness but for now that trend line is shooting for the moon and I love it ^_^

I loved this part. Adolin, Shallan and Kaladin working together were flawless and perfect.

It was specially satisfying to see that when Kaladin had had too much Adolin steered him till he recovered without giving it a single thought.

The interaction with the spren was awesome.

Was funny to see when they came in they were horrified and thought it was Damnation, (specifically Adolin) but once they hit their stride they seemed to be alright in Shadesmar. Except for the pesky need to return to their side or it would burn :P

I don't dare to comment much more without checking what I'm saying is in this part. Maybe tomorrow will continue. 

4 hours ago, What's a Seawolf? said:

Dodgeball.

Szeth, the Assassin in White, slayer of monarchy all across Roshar, is playing dodgeball.

In the air.

I love this storming book.

Now, now, he didn't just kill kings. He also killed highlords, merchants from the council of Thaylen, and emperors. So he isn't just slayer of monarchy, but also of feudalism, plutocracy and emperialism :P.

I liked that scene, he needed some R & R. The highest level skybreakers drooling after him and fighting over who got to keep him as squire was funny but unsurprising. The only other alternative was for them to be scared of the competition because they knew he likely surpassed them with a single surge and jaleous that he was clearly Nale's favorite. I'm glad for Szeth that he got the first option.

I loved this part.  This part was wine, like old wine.  This part reminded me of John Green's "The fault in our stars" a bit.

Some great quotes that thankfully I bookmarked:-

Unable to stand that stone visage any longer, Dalinar left, stomping in the corridor towards the palace proper.  Other voices echoed after him... Dalinar continued forward, fleeing those fires below.  Gavilar's stare judging him, the cries of people dying in the rift...sweating, frantic, running through ornate hallways, past carved walls, sedate woods and accusatory mirrors.

Is mercy a bad thing?

"Not bad, just chaotic.... Leniency and mercy. .. Some go on... and others recidivate...creating great tragedies.  The thing is Szeth Son Son Naturo, we humans are terrible at spotting which will be which... Think wisely and choose. 

You never did say which one you prefer?  ..You don't have to hide Shallan... Maybe the vase is cracked, but that only means that you can show what's inside.

Stones and splinters rained down on the city, crashing about her.  Dried bodies dropped liked discarded clothing.... No cries of fear, no moans of pain, bodies were just husks, skins just lying on the ground.

Great passages that I wonder we have passed in our haste to read the entire book and this part had aplenty.

I felt as if there were so much to say in this part that Brandon really had to tease it in a highlight reel.  Yet, when you get down to it, as I quoted above, some awesome passages.  I don't think any fantasy book writer besides Lois McMaster Bujold has gone into such depth of emotion in this genre.

Oh, and btw, the secret of the recreance comes out.  The secret of Taln's abandonment came out - I don't know whether that was this part or part 3.  The dawnchant gets translated.

And Dalinar has apparently met Cultivation - and my favourite suspect is Evi for anything (EVEN THOUGH THERE WAS A BODY!).  Hopefully I find out in the next part.

Vivs says goodbye.

Adolin's shard's dead spren.  There must be some significance to it.

Kaladin still hasn't resolved.

Shallan got another sugar hit from Adolin after one from Hoid.  Come on Shallan!

And Jasnah - are you always going to be a cameo?

Lift - I miss Wyndle.

2 hours ago, The Rooster said:

This topic should be shut down.  Noone can finish Part 4 without deciding to marathon the rest of the book.

I am still to finish part 5.  Listening to audio is much slower than reading it.

Just finished part 4.

Incredible.  Cosmere tidbits hiding storming everywhere.  Every character just has so much going on with them and so much depth.  Worldbuilding is out of this world.  (Learned that from Shallan.)  I'd type out my full reactions but that would delay reading part 5.

Just had to stop by to see if I missed anything.

One thing I'm curious about is everyone's reaction to the cause of the Recreance.  Perhaps us Sharders overhyped the cause too much, but I was a little underwhelmed by the dual causes mentioned.  I'm thinking there's going to be much more to that, either in part 5 or a later book.

Also, c'mon other rulers.  Impending army of complete death and destruction on your doorstep, ready to obliterate you and everything you love.  Philosophical quandaries can wait.

Wow (again again).. So good thing money is not Brandon’s primary motivator. He could have made 5 books out of this releasing them months apart and made a ton more money. As much as I love the crazy ending chapters of these parts it’s making it hard for me to remember all my thoughts I guess I should be taking notes...

Dalinar- Poor Dalinar.. Was cool seeing that he was old drinking buddies with Jezrien. As a father myself some of the flashback scenes with his sons really took me in the feels. Everything is unraveling and he doesn’t even know his nephew is dead yet. Not feeling like this book is going to end well for him. 

Mr T- WHY!!! The worst part is I still like him even though he is trying to destroy Dalinar.

Adolin- You confessed and she was ok with it. We see him get a little bit of the green eyed monster and realize he is the king now. Your shardblade is creepy in the CR!! 

Shallan- Saw some growth with her eventually and now she’s trying to make up new personas? I don’t think we have ever seen the real her..

Vivenna- I really like you and will miss you until we see you again. 

Kaladin- You can’t save them all! 

Szeth/Nightblood- YES!! These were fun chapters and I fell like Szeth is going to be the real hero in the end using his logical thinking. Nightblood you soul eatin fool! I love you! 

Random things..

Loved we got to see so much of Shadesmar and the Spren. All that was super interesting and kinda chill which I felt like I needed pacing wise. Oh and Syl is like a Lighteyes. 

So soulcasters (the people using fabriels) transform in to the spren trapped as they appear in Shadesmar. Neat.

The old guy in the lighthouse.. He was about to curse to Dominion.. Oh and he looks like a Shin..Hmmm..

I’ve noticed women use their safehand when using Radiant abilities. I know Brandon said covering the safehand was related to some book and meant that women shouldn’t use shards but wondering if it also was a way to deter surgebinding. 

So that little tidbit about how humans invaded Roshar and how the Recreance happens..

WHAT!! Why are we already learning about this!!! So honestly I doubt this was a surprise to anyone here. I’ve seen multiple speculation post and commented several times that the humans were not the “good guys” after reading the pre-view chapters. Let’s face it just like the SF said humans appear pretty alien on Roshar. Still to see it confirmed another jaw dropping moment. Still a lot of questions though. The humans invaded before any shards arrived. How? Did Honnor/Cultivation see the humans when they arrived and say “I got you fam”. Lots to speculate on still. I will say I was a little disappointed so many people in world were like “Oh we came from another planet? Makes sense..” I can’t see that being easily accepted in our world. Most would dismiss it.

Man I almost want to take a break before reading part 5. It’s the bitter sweet feeling knowing it will soon end. I feel like from what we’ve learned this should be book 5. This overall story is going to be so huge. 

Edit: Dang knew I was forgetting something. So the secret of powering up with Urithiru has something to do with the Urithiru caverns Nohadon mentioned. All that foreshadowing about him walking to Urithiru.  

Edited by StormingTexan

13 hours ago, StormingTexan said:

I will say I was a little disappointed so many people in world were like “Oh we came from another planet? Makes sense..” I can’t see that being easily accepted in our world. Most would dismiss it.

We don't have a recurring apocalyptic invasion by 'alien' beings that is currently occurring. Also if you have proof of magic, you pretty much can believe in anything.

4 minutes ago, ScavellTane said:

We don't have a recurring apocalyptic invasion by 'alien' beings that is currently occurring. Also if you have proof of magic, you pretty much can believe in anything.

Yeah I guess. Even though with the arrogance of humanity I would think it would be scrutinized more. Unless deep down everyone senses it somehow like the SF suggested to Dalinar.